Author Topic: Heath Mill Pu;borough  (Read 3301 times)

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Heath Mill Pu;borough
« on: Saturday 12 January 08 11:10 GMT (UK) »
In the 1871 census my gggrandfather Charles F Clarke is a Miller at Heath mill  near Pulborough. Does anyone know where this mill is and if it still stands?
Would appreciate any help.
Rongrose
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )
er(essex)Nightingale(kent Sussex)Sutton (sussex)

Offline Stovepipe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Daddy Stovepipe
    • View Profile
Re: Heath Mill Pu;borough
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 January 08 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Rongrose,

The Mills Archive site has data on a Pulborough mill, but it's called "Old Place Mill".  A document dated 2003 reports it still standing as a house conversion.

A few of the millers are named, not your ancestor though.

Here's the link - you'll probably have to register to see the data.

http://www.millsarchive.com/index.aspx

HTH,
Stovepipe
Census information is Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 January 08 19:02 GMT (UK) »

Hello Rongrose - I'm going back into my dim and distant memory here...bear with me...

I had a look at the census pages and one of the next addresses is Small Bar Dick, I'm fairly certain this is now Small Beer Dike Farm or something similar.  I also looked at the description for the enumerators walk and Batts is mentioned as is Heath Mill and also Nutbourne Mill...so we can discount Nutbourne Mill.

I looked at the Sussex Mills website and I know for certain that at least one Watermill that I know of is not on that website soooo....going back to memory I am sure there was an old, small watermill somewhere up near the end of Batts Lane.

We used to walk through Pulborough, up Batts Lane and across the fields to the Rising Sun Pub at Nutbourne. The mill workings had gone but the house was still there, also from memory I think there was a small stream that ran alongside.

Look at Google Maps, put in Pulborough and get the larger image up.
you will see Pulborough and Nutbourne - in-between there is a small road, triangular shaped, click on that twice and you will see Batts Lane and Nutbourne - the sat. image is interesting too.

You might try and contact the Sussex Mills Group, they may have a someone who could investigate.

Hope this helps
Suey
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 January 08 19:18 GMT (UK) »
http://www.theargus.co.uk/whatson/walks/westsussex/pulboroughcircular/

the above link should give you an idea of the area,

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline Stovepipe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Daddy Stovepipe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 January 08 20:26 GMT (UK) »
OK, so Heath Mill is closer to West Chiltington than Pulborough and cannot be identified with Old Place.

It's location is still marked on the OS map, but whether that means the mill is standing or just the cottages I don't know.

Here's the map link:
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=507500&y=117500&z=3&sv=heath+mill&st=3&tl=Heath+Mill,+West+Sussex+&searchp=newsearch.srf&mapp=newmap.srf

The Mills Archive site has no information on any watermill at West Chiltington that I could find.

Stovepipe
Census information is Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 January 08 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you to everyone for all your help and suggestions. Hopefully I will get down to Pulborough and be able to explore th area sometime this year.

Ringrose
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )

Offline anne77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 January 08 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi

There is a page about West Chiltington on the Sussex Coast website  http://www.sussexcoast.co.uk/west-chiltington/ and information about a  mill at Nutbourne on http://www.nutbourne.org.uk/houses/wheelhouse/wheelhouse.php which might be of interest to you.

Anne

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 January 08 14:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for those web sites which I have looked at and sent an e-mail.
Ringrose

Offline gwyilliams

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 January 08 19:48 GMT (UK) »
I noticed your query about Heath Mill, in Nutbourne Sx. It is Located at the end of the village, turn Right (east) at the bottom of the hill on Gay Street,going North to North Heath.  When I lived in that area the mill had a local Bakery operating out of it. That was around 1964.

I also remember the Olde Place Mill Pond and Water mill in Pulborough, on Toat hill Road.  The Mill was converted into a single family dwelling, I worked on that convertion during my apprenticeship.  The water from the pond still runs under the lane from the pond and cascades down between two section of the building. The lane continues on becoming a footpath up to Codmore Hill Farm.

Hope this will help.
Robert Williams