Author Topic: Robert Carlos Hardy  (Read 17195 times)

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Carlos Hardy
« Reply #9 on: Monday 14 January 08 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Thought this one was made for you  :) Scotland - Diplomat- and a New Jersey connection, yes happy days ;D
William Walker Glasgow<br />Pattison Northumberland<br />Pallent Suffolk<br /><br />This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Eveline Clarke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 14 January 08 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you to everyone who replied to me.   I never expected this much information it is brilliant.

I have checked out the Ellis Island site and agree that it looks as though he was born 1880.   

The 1887 was from the 1930 american census which said he was aged 42.   We know that is right as he is with Mildred and five of the children at that time.

I am not sure about the marriage in 1928.   Mildred had a son in 1927 a daughter in 1929, a son in 1930 and another daughter in 1932.     

Robert died according to family lore in 1933 in New Jersey and then Mildred and the children came home.

The Barbados link to the West Indies is interesting.

As is the 1881 census.    I cannot open Ancestry.com but I can look and found that census there.    I have asked my cousin to open it for us.
I also notice that Robert H born 1856 Barbados in the 1871 census, this time living in Rutland, so I have asked Mary to open that one as well.

Once again that you for all help and yes irret this one is made for me.   I am thoroughly enjoying trying to sort out this little knot.

Eveline

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 14 January 08 18:30 GMT (UK) »
I found the 1881 census on http://www.familysearch.org  :) which is free.
William Walker Glasgow<br />Pattison Northumberland<br />Pallent Suffolk<br /><br />This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 14 January 08 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Eveline

If wife's name was Mildred, then the ref for a 1928 marriage to an Alice is not relevant.

I don't know if you have yet noticed, but on the 1916 ship's manifest, Robert shows as already married (first marriage or had he married Mildred by now?)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 14 January 08 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Extracted birth entry for Robert snr ?:

ROBERT HENRY HARDY  Christening: 20 DEC 1855 Saint Michael, Barbados, Caribbean
Parents: ROBERT HARDY and MARY ELIZABETH BOND

Offline Eveline Clarke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 14 January 08 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to you all for responding again.

Yes Irret, I managed to find it afterwards, by putting born Barbados in the search engine.   It just said he was with a cook and a servant, I couldn't find Robert Carlos - probably looking in the wrong place.   Will have another look in a minutes.

I also looked on Ancestry.com.   I cannot open the files, but I can look to see if they are there and found Robert Henry on the 1871 in Rutland.     Gosh these Hardys get everywhere.   I have asked my cousin to open that one.

Thank you Monica for finding Robert Henry's birth.    I know have a father for Robert Carlos and one set of Grandparents. 

Family lore was that Robert was previously married before Mildred, so obviously that was before 1916.   No I hadn't noticed it, thank you for bringing it to my attention.   So it looks as though he might have married either in the West Indies or Nova Scotia.

Mary lives in the States and can usually find her way around their archive system, but so far has been unable to find a death.

Thanks once again.

Eveline

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 14 January 08 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Eveline

Irret and I spent a long time researching together in New Jersey for a marriage and death in the county. Our sympathies for your cousin Mary - it's sooo hard!

Monica

Offline Eveline Clarke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 15 January 08 09:52 GMT (UK) »
My thanks to both of you and I will pass your message on to Mary.

Eveline

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 15 January 08 17:39 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if we could find some kind person to look up
U.S. Passport Applications, 1795-1925 Robert C Hardy I did enter a birth year of 1880  :-\
Not sure what to do ? Has this done the job?