Author Topic: MI for Hawick 1850 & 1884? ANSWERED THANKS  (Read 1682 times)

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
MI for Hawick 1850 & 1884? ANSWERED THANKS
« on: Saturday 12 January 08 18:43 GMT (UK) »
If anyone has access to a listing of monumental inscriptions for Hawick, would you please look someone up for me?

My 3rd-g-grandfather George Oliver was a baker in Hawick.  According to the inventory of his goods (taken in 1851), he died 20 September 1850, so there is no official death record for him.

As far as we can tell, he doesn't seem to have written a will (we couldn't find one on ScotlandsPeople).

We have the record of banns for his marriage to Janet Brown in Edinburgh in 1823.  It does not list George's father's name (although it does list Janet's father's name).  It describes him as George Oliver, Baker, College Parish.

In the 1841 census of Hawick, he is listed as:
George Oliver, 40 [or 41?], baker, born in county

We have ruled out the George Oliver who was born in 1803 in Hawick to John Oliver and Jane(t) Fairl(e)y.

mccubbin (a Rootschatter) found four George Olivers on the LDS site who were born in Roxburgh around the right time.  I wasn't able to track them all in the census transcript but I couldn't find any obvious links.

George's widow, Janet, died 11 March 1884 in Hawick.  We have her death record.  I expect she is buried with George.

I am hoping that George Oliver's tombstone inscription might contain a clue as to where he was born or who his parents might have been.

If no one has access to this information, do you know where I might write to inquire?  I've tried searching the internet with no luck.

The LDS FHC in my city (Toronto) has told me at least three separate times (over the last few years) that it is not possible for me to order films through their office.  I was told to subscribe to ScotlandsPeople and Ancestry if I wanted actual images of parish records.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters