Author Topic: Death and Burial Place Miguel (John) Garcia  (Read 2912 times)

Offline Shadwell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Death and Burial Place Miguel (John) Garcia
« on: Monday 14 January 08 09:53 GMT (UK) »
Many relatives have been looking through various records over the years for the death and burial place of my great-grandfather, Miguel Paschal Garcia - most likely around Thames between 1889 and 1908.  He was born in London about 1835, married in Dunedin 1868, lived in Melbourne in the 1870/80s and moved back to NZ in about 1888.  He appears to have been also known as Michael Garcia or John Garcia. 

His wife Mary Jane Garcia died in 1908 and is buried at Shortland Cemetery, Thames, but no sign of Miguel.  John Garcia (aka Miguel Garcia?), Totara Point, Thames, is listed in 1889 as a guardian of James Garcia (my grandfather) in the Thames High School Register of Pupils.

Any help or suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.
Garcia, Willcox, Amy, Mitchell

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Death and Burial Place Miguel (John) Garcia
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 January 08 10:30 GMT (UK) »
hi shadwell

just a thought  :)

i can see miguel on the 1841 & 1851 england census(born shadwell)
do you know for definite that he moved back to NZ in 1888
perhaps he died in melbourne , and the family moved back
john garcia might have then been a relative who was made guardian of
james garcia in 1889

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Shadwell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 January 08 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi ev

A very good thought as some of the information I have is unclear and confusing.  I've tried to explain this below.  It is a possibility that Miguel Garcia died other than in New Zealand, and perhaps in Melbourne. I do not have shipping records of his travel to New Zealand.

On the Richmond, Victoria, council rates ledgers a Michael Garcia lived at Charlotte St, Richmond, Victoria in 1876. Directories show John M. Garcia lived in Charlotte St, Richmond in 1876 and 1877.  I assume Miguel, Michael, and John Garcia are the same person.  Curiously he disappears from Council and Directory listing until 1886, when J.M. Garcia appears as living in Brougham St, Richmond. Victoria.

In the interim, the local council’s voters’ roll records show a Mrs Garcia, a widow, at Brougham St. from 1882/83 until 1887/88 .  The term widow could refer to Elizabeth Garcia, mother of Miguel, or perhaps to Mary Garcia (Miguel's wife) who is recorded in directories as living in 1880 and 1882 and 1887 in Brougham St, Richmond.

Miguel was recorded as aged 46 in 1881 on the death certificate of his mother Elizabeth in 1881 (she died at Brougham St), so I think he was alive then.  Subsequent Richmond directory records in 1886 and 1887 to J M Garcia and the Thames High School register reference in 1889 make me think Miguel was still alive in 1889 and living in New Zealand.  Of course he may have subsequently left New Zealand and died overseas.   

I'd be interested in any other suggestions or thoughts.  It is very helpful to have someone else questioning assumptions and making suggestions.  Appreciate your help ev. :)

Shadwell

Offline Thamesite2017

• I have turned off all email notifications
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 January 08 18:36 GMT (UK) »
He is not in 1893 electoral roll only Mary
Surname   GARCIA
Given Name   Mary Jane
Number   1024
Electorate   Bay of Plenty
Voting Qualification   Residential
Residential Address   Totara Pt Thames
Occupation   Housekeeper

Have you used Papers past
a miguel garcia shows 1872 plus a few other entries
http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&srpos=3&cl=search&d=DSC18721219.2.22&e=-------en--1----2%22miguel+garcia%22-all

Offline Shadwell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 January 08 07:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Althea

Thanks for the electoral roll reference :).

Yes I have trolled through Papers Past.  There's some very interesting information there, including a couple of references to our Miguel Garcia.

If there are no New Zealand records of Miguel's death or burial, perhaps he did die overseas.  I think I'll try a post on the Emigrants to Australia thread.

Regards

Shadwell

Offline DotBrennan

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 November 08 23:09 GMT (UK) »

In the interests of good housekeeping, I’ve moved this post to completed.

Assistance has been provided …….