Author Topic: 1861 -TATTUMs from BAGILLT, HOLYWELL  (Read 25354 times)

Offline Ninian

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
1861 -TATTUMs from BAGILLT, HOLYWELL
« on: Monday 14 January 08 14:54 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for 3 brothers: Francis (b abt 1811), George (b abt 1808) and William Tattum (b abt 1813).  All were married with families and lived in Bagillt, Holywell.  In 1841 and 1851 they lived next door to each other at Morfa, Bagillt. 

As far as I can tell they continued to live in Bagillt after this - there are BMDs recorded for the familes and lots of the family are on the 1871 census.  BUT I can't find any of them at all in 1861 ....... where can they be??

Is part of the Bagillt census missing in 1861 or am I just useless at finding them?

Would be very gratefiul for any help please

Ninian
Roberts (Llandanwg, Llanfihangel y traethau, Ffestiniog, Merionydd);  Jones (Bethesda, Caernarfonshire; Llandyfrydog, Angelsey); Jones, Davies (Bagillt, Holywell, Flintshire);  Turner, Bardsley (Ashton, Lancashire);  Fielding (Darley Dale, Derbyshire); Brockelbank (Louth, Lincolnshire); Allen (Ridgmont, Bedfordshire)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 -TATTUMs from BAGILLT, HOLYWELL
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 January 08 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi

or am I just useless at finding them?

Then so am I as I can't find them on the 1861 either.  Unless you have them on the 1871 - thereby proving they were alive in 1861 - these deaths may possibly be theirs.  Unfortunately the GRO index does not show ages for this period

Freebmd death 

George Tattum June qtr 1861 Holywell  Volume: 11b Page: 216

The 1861 census was taken on the night of 7th April so if he died between the 31st March-6th April ..............

William Tattum March qtr 1852  Holywell  Volume: 11b Page: 207    IGNORE - still alive in 1871

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 January 08 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Just found William on the 1871 so have edited above death
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Ninian

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 January 08 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole

Ah well I suppose its gratifying in a way that you can't find them either.  I think that is probably George's death - but I think it is after the census date so he should have made it onto the census. Even if the brothers had died before the 1861 census there were the 3 wives and endless children ......... where can they have all gone? 

Ninian
Roberts (Llandanwg, Llanfihangel y traethau, Ffestiniog, Merionydd);  Jones (Bethesda, Caernarfonshire; Llandyfrydog, Angelsey); Jones, Davies (Bagillt, Holywell, Flintshire);  Turner, Bardsley (Ashton, Lancashire);  Fielding (Darley Dale, Derbyshire); Brockelbank (Louth, Lincolnshire); Allen (Ridgmont, Bedfordshire)

Offline Peterej

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 January 08 23:33 GMT (UK) »
there is a Phoebe TattAm in 1861 born 1839 if that helps

Peter
Jones, Edwards, Davies, Owen, Benjamin , Hughes , Roberts,Thomas,Williams, Wynne , Griffiths, Howells, Rowlands etc etc
plus
Thomas,Trewren,Holmes,Thirlwall,Jones again & again
& more

"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 January 08 08:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ninian

According to this link http://www.findmypast.com/resources/census/missingpieces.jsp (scroll down to the last two lines) two areas of Holywell are missing or incomplete from the 1861.

There is a death for a Francis TATHAM registered Holywell Q4 1865 vol 11b, page 193 who might be yours?

Heather
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ninian

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 January 08 08:46 GMT (UK) »
Many thank everyone - all very helpful.  The Morfa area of Bagilt (where the 3 families all lived) must be the part of Holywell missing from the 61 census - annoying but at least i know not to waste any more time searching for them.  Phoebe was William's daughter so at least there is one of them on the 1861 census.  The death for Francis looks about right too.

Many thanks, Ninian

Offline Paul

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 January 08 10:00 GMT (UK) »
Do you have marriages and baptisms for any of them or their children?

Paul.

Offline Ninian

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 January 08 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello Paul

Yes I do have some bapts and marraiges - just the odd one or two - all from Holywell Parish Church records.  I'm not absolutely certain Francis, George and William are brother - but it's an unusual name and the families of Francis (b 1810), George (b 1808) and William Tattum (b 1813) lived next door to each other at Bagillt Marsh/Morfa on both the censuses of 1841 & 1851.  The Margaret Tattum (born c. 1776)  who was living with George Tattum in 1841 was probably their mother:

1841  Bagillt Marsh, Bagillt Fechan, Flintshire, Wales - HO107/1413/1/22/2

George      TATTUM       30   Collier   Yes   
Elizabeth     TATTUM       30      Yes   
Margaret     TATTUM         8      Yes   
Mary     TATTUM         6      Yes   
Ann     TATTUM         4      Yes   
John     TATTUM        2 (6!)      Yes   
Margaret    TATTUM       65     Ind.   Yes   

Frances is the brother I'm most closely related to but I can't find his bapt or marraige but I have some info on some of his children:

John was baptised in Holywell Parish Church on 19 July 1835
Robert was baptised in Holywell Parish Church on 19 March 1837
Elizabeth & Anne Tatham daughters of Francis & Elizabeth were baptised in Holywell Parish Church on 2 April 1843 - Anne died in ?1845 & Elizabeth was buried in 1850. (they aren't on the census as they were born and died between 1841 and 51.

George Tattum married Elizabeth Hughes on 21 April 1832, (Francis Tattum was a witness).

William Tattum married Catherine Conway 1 April 1837.

I'm sure there is more info in the Holywell records but I haven't been able to track it down yet.

Ninian