Author Topic: where to look for census  (Read 4362 times)

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: where to look for census
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 20 January 08 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Millie,

I've just checked WO97, on line TNA, as wellas WO126-129 for a relative who is missing from 1881 census.  He's on all the others from 1871 - 1901 and my hubby's aunty (his granddaughter) was sure he was in the Army.  Couldn't find a thing.  Just wondering if you found your man on the on-line index or whther you just took a gamble going to Kew?

Does anyone else know whether the on-line catalogue is complete for these files?

It was about 18 months ago that I did it and I had someone with me who ordered the box up for me - but from what I remember I didn't have any specific information on my man - just an idea he may have been in the army and that he came out before he married in 1906. 

I think we just ordered up the relevant box for the letter of the surname we wanted and looked through it.  We did the same for my friends grandfather and found his papers that way too.

It was the first time I had been to Kew and I remember being a little bewildered by it all. My friend seemed to know how to order the box up - I just kind of followed along behind. And then a few minutes later there were the papers I was after!

I think it was easy because the dates we were after were stored alphabetically rather than earlier dates which would have been stored by Regiment  (Have I got that right Kew experts?) ;D

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mallow

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 21 January 08 18:05 GMT (UK) »
OH 8)Milly you make it sound so simple , I just hope when I manage to get there that all will be revealed like yours was, it would fill in a huge part of Grandfathers life which we know nothing about.

Offline janerich

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 21 January 08 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all,

That's great information - I have NEVER been to Kew although I have been to local archives i.e. The Centre for Kentish Studies - I have a readers card which I believe allows me to use all archive centres in the country so I must pluck up the courage to go.

Jane
Stringer, Foad, Darby, Lake, Austen, Scrivens - Kent
Richardson, Summers, Walker,-Yorkshire
Kershaw, Landy, Dixon, Fisher  - Lancashire & Kent

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 21 January 08 20:52 GMT (UK) »
I have a readers card which I believe allows me to use all archive centres in the country

The TNA ticket has a magnetic stripe to use to gain entry. Your ticket will not allow that. You can enroll online, and just take the ID they require along with you.

Ken

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 21 January 08 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Kew is great once you get used to it.  I've been really lucky and found quite a few of mine -

I have not ventured beyond military service records yet but next time I go I plan to be a little more adventurous.

;D
Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester

Offline janerich

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 22 January 08 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Thaks K ::)en, Milly and all,

I have just been to my seminar - I'm doing a local history course - and I asked about the reader card thing there.  My tutor put me right as well.  At least I know and my husband has said he wants to come with me - well it is one of his I'm looking ofr- so we are going to bite the bullet and go at the end of next week when we both have a day off.  Wish us luck!

Jane ::)

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 22 January 08 21:59 GMT (UK) »
 Hi Jane .... take a digital camera with you as you can take photos of any documents you find really easily...even ones on microfilm come out OK sometimes.  You can also take a laptop if you have one

and make a list of all the people you are interested in with dob and addresses so that you don't forget anyone.    I checked all my men of the right age against the WW1 records and found quite a few just by chance.  (using birth place and next of kin to identify them). 

Have fun

Milly ;D

Offline Mean_genie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 23 January 08 12:39 GMT (UK) »
If you are going to Kew for the first time, here are a few tips to help you make the most of it. Milly is right that it can be rather bewildering (especailly ath the moment while the major refurbishments are going on.

There is a lot of useful infromation on TNA's website, in particular the Research Guides on some of the most popular subjects (nearly 300 at the last count, listed alphabeticall but you can search by key word too) www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/researchguidesindex.asp?j=1

It is also worth clicking on the 'Visit us' tab for details about Readers' Tickets, how to get there, opening hours etc.

You can also practise using the online catalogue, which will save you time when you get there, even though you can't order documents in advance at the moment, while there is reduced capacity in the reading rooms.

While space is limited, make sure you get there as early as you can, because you may have to wait for a seat to become vacant later in the day if it is busy.

And one tip about those lovely boxes of WO97 army records. Within each box they are supposed to be in alphabetical order, and they usually are, but papers do get out of order, so if you don't find your man where he should be, look through the whole box, just in case.

Enjoy your day.

Mean_genie

Offline janerich

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 23 January 08 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Milly and mean genie,

All advice taken on board - we will try to get there as early as we can - don't live too far away - in kent so it will be round the M25 (Yuk) - Have downloaded the directions.

The advice about digital camera - very useful as was your stuff mean genie.

Jane