Author Topic: Brickwall  (Read 4201 times)

Offline Linton

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Brickwall
« on: Wednesday 05 January 05 12:41 GMT (UK) »
>:( :- >:( :- >:( :- >:( :- >:( :- >:( :- >:( :- >:( :- >:(

Can anyone please help me?  ???

I am trying to find information about my g.g.g. grandparents, James Reaper and Bathia Maver. They were married on 12/12/1813 at Gammrie, Banff. They had one son that I know about, my g.g. grandfather, James jnr.Jrb c182DOBho married Isabella Taylor on 27/11/1847 at Turriff, Aberdeenshire. They had a daughter Barbara Reaper,my g. grandmother, dob 3/3/DOB5 at Turriff.

The only information that I can find about my g.g.g. grandparents is their date of marriage.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Regards

Linda
Gordon, Spence, Reaper, Mavor, Guthrie, Small, Nicoll, Lyell, Hepburn, Adamson, Stewart, Colquhoun, Allan, Edward, Thomson, Ogilvie, Taylor

Offline Fifer

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Brickwall
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 January 05 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda

Do you have them on the 1841 census or is it possible they have died before that. I have access to the census records at my Local lds and the Birth,Marriage,Death  index for scotland from 1855-1955  if its earlier than 1855 i wont be able to help you but if after let me know and ill search the index or census for you.

Fifer
Barclay,baxter,Cook,Cowie,Dryburgh,Hughes,Morris,Murray,Simpson,Westwater from Fife Scotland.

Hatton,Roscoe,Smith,Ellison,Hardy,Harding,Holmes,Randles, Fishwick from Wirral Cheshire,

Barnett,Hempsall,Humphrey,Ward,Wrench  from Lincolnshire

Hartshorne,Wilson,Brass,Dodds,Hunter from Durham

Offline Linton

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 January 05 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fifer

I'm really not too sure when they died, sorry. I put all the information I have in the topic.

Linda

Gordon, Spence, Reaper, Mavor, Guthrie, Small, Nicoll, Lyell, Hepburn, Adamson, Stewart, Colquhoun, Allan, Edward, Thomson, Ogilvie, Taylor

Offline GordonFindlay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Brickwall (Reaper/Maver)
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 September 17 21:52 BST (UK) »
On the extreme off-chance that anyone is still around and researching this:

James Reaper / Bathia Maver or Mavor were also my G-G-G-Grandparents, through their daughter Ann, b. abt 1819, d. 15 Feb 1902,  Drimlie(?) Foveran, Aberdeenshire

The couple are not to be found in the 1841 or 1851 census, or the OPRs except for banns and marriage.

Edit: Other threads have given dates of death, names of 8 children, and I have found death certs on Scotland's people.

I'd be glad to hear of anything else at all about them.
Findlay - Aberdeen, Angus
Shepherd - Angus
Cargill, Swankie, Spink  - Angus
Melvin - Aberdeen
Coull - Angus, Aberdeen
Strachan - Kincardine, Aberdeen
Steven, Steen. Stein, Dunsmore, Burt, Prentice, Maxwell, Montgomery  - Lanark

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 September 17 23:13 BST (UK) »
Hmmm. According to Scotland's People they had a son William, baptised 15 May 1814; son George, baptised 21 October 1822; and daughter Elisabeth, baptised 31 October 1824, all in the parish of Gamrie.

How about this family in New Pitsligo, parish of Tyrie, in 1841
James Reaper, 49, labourer; Bathy, 50; James, 20; Elspet, 11; Jane, 8; and Barbra, 7; all born in Aberdeenshire except Elspet, birth county unknown.

And 1851, also in High Street, New Pitsligo
James Reaper, 59, farm labourer, born Alva; wife Bathia, 60, born Gamrie; daughter Elspet, 22, born Gamrie; visitor Jannet Ogston, 15, born Tyrie.

There is a death of a James Reaper, aged 63, in Tyrie in 1855. His death certificate should list the names of his parents and his wife, and the names and ages of all his children.

Bathia Mavor or Reaper, 92, died in New Pitsligo in 1879. Her death certificate should tell you the names of her parents.

Go to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk and invest in a few credits. Use 5 to download James' death certificate and 5 to doenload Bathia's death certificate. Then use 10 more to get the originals of the 1841 and 1851 census. The last two names in the 1841 are on the next page which will cost you another 5 credits if you decide to view it.

I see that Ann married James Anderson in St Fergus in 1854. She seems to have been in service at Drum, New Deer in 1841 and at South Kirktown, St Fergus in 1851.

Could George be the 15-year-old George Rapier at the 93rd Highlanders Depot in Aberdeen in 1841?

And there's a 25-year-old William Reaper, farm servant at Aslead in Monquhitter in 1841. Transcription says born in Aberdeenshire but errors are not unheard of. More convincingly, there's a 36-year-old farm servant named William Reaper, born Gamrie, at Little Millbrex, Fyvie, in 1851.

James Reaper and Isabella Taylor had a daughter Mary, baptised 31 December 1848 and a daughter Isabella, baptised 27 March 1853 in Turriff, as well as the son James mentioned by the original poster. In 1851 a Mary Roper, aged 2, is with her widowed grandmother Mary Milligan, 55, in Church Terrace, Turriff. Mary Sr is described as a pauper so it might be worth investigating whether the Turriff Parochial Board records have survived. Isabella Taylor or Repper is at Chapel Street, Turriff, with her son James, 1 month. In 1861 James, 40; Isabella, 40; Mary, 12; Isabella, 8; Barbara, 6; and William, 3 are in 4 Main Street, Turriff. I wonder if James is the 27-year-old married farm labourer, born Forgue, in the 1851 census at Boghead, Alvah? If so, his DoB would be 1823/4.

I can't find anything on Elisabeth so I presume that she died young. But you never know.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Brickwall (Reaper/Maver)
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 September 17 23:15 BST (UK) »
The couple are not to be found in the 1841 or 1851 census, or the OPRs except for banns and marriage.
Edit: Other threads have given dates of death, names of 8 children, and I have found death certs on Scotland's people..
Edit: This wasn't a brick wall, it was a sandcastle facing an oncoming tide ;)

Duplicate threads
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=21068
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=22150
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=22151

If Linton ever comes back online, I will be referring him/her to
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=682540
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Kempie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 February 18 09:56 GMT (UK) »
in reply to James Reaper/Bathia Mavor were also my husband's 3 x gt grandparents too,  daughter Elizabeth Reaper b.1824 Gamrie and Banff  married Thomas Davidson in 1847 in Longside, Aberdeen.  daughter  Margaret Davidson b 1848,    children John Hay Davidson b. 1869 and Elisbeth Davidson b. 1866.  She married James Benzie in 1875  and had several other children,..this info has been useful   thanks

Offline GordonFindlay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 01 February 18 17:59 GMT (UK) »
I'm a little unclear what you mean: so just to clarify, you mean that Margaret Davidson had two children, then married James Benzie?

Gordon
Findlay - Aberdeen, Angus
Shepherd - Angus
Cargill, Swankie, Spink  - Angus
Melvin - Aberdeen
Coull - Angus, Aberdeen
Strachan - Kincardine, Aberdeen
Steven, Steen. Stein, Dunsmore, Burt, Prentice, Maxwell, Montgomery  - Lanark

Offline Kempie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile