Author Topic: Bowie,Edmondson,Hawick.  (Read 35323 times)

Offline janebowie

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bowie,Edmondson,Hawick.
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 16 July 09 12:23 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone!
Since I'm visiting my family soon I've been charting all your information which I am really grateful for. My father always wondered where his middle name "Tait" came from and knew there were a lot of James Taits and other Taits in the family but not why. I think it would have tickled his fancy to know about Helen Tait who never bothered to get married.  ;)

Just in case I haven't mentioned anything I know here is the info I can give you summed up:

- following down the Andrew Bowie (1827-1888) and Margaret Byers (1829-1898) line:
son James Tait Bowie (1852-?) m Mary Best (1860-?)

I have always heard talk of THREE SONS:
James (I don't know if he was number 1 or 2) who married and has descendents living in the north of England, still Bowie by surname, the only males with the surname from this branch

Thomas who didn't marry, and I think was the youngest

- Andrew b.1894 or 1897  m  Lily Fraser Douglas (b. c 1897 Appletreehall, Hawick, d. c 1973 Hawick)
my GRANDPARENTS
three children, the second was my FATHER, James Tait Bowie born Hawick 9th August, 1928, in the living room of his house, with his umbilical cord firmly round his neck (a so-called blue baby). Passed away 17th Nov 2005.

Sorry if I don't fill you in on his siblings and descendents, it's for a question of privacy as I don't have their permission as of yet. I always visit the graves of my family every year and must remember to note down all the dates mentioned on them for you.

I am very vague about the well, and will get its position for you when I'm back but I know it was in the old part of Hawick (Wilton was at the time a separate parish) and I believe my mother still has a print of an old photo of it. For me it fits in with John Bowie - William Bowie - Walter Bowie line, who founded the blacksmith/ veterinary surgeon line of the family which runs without interruption until the last blacksmith, my grandfather Andrew Bowie, passed away from lung cancer from his forge in 1947, and my father James Bowie, veterinary surgeon with a great ability to shoe a horse, passed away in 2005. My son, also James, dreams of becoming a vet without me every having filled his head with family stories, so perhaps the line carries on.

My aunt had vague knowledge of a Walter Bowie, blacksmith (the words horse shoer and farrier also crop up) of Cavers in the 1750s (but doesn't remember if this is a birth or marriage date), I would guess him to be the same Walter Bowie, horse shoer, who lost his child in a "bouie" 12/11/1792. Could he be an uncle of William Bowie (b. 3rd May 1772) and brother of John Bowie? (only news I have of him is that he married Christina Watson and they produced William). The dates fit, the family occupation fits.

I am tickled pink by the vast numbers of illegitimate children, though I think it could be interesting to look into old Scottish marriage law, which was dying out by the late 1800s but probably survived in extremely rural, cut off areas like Hawick. There was a law whereby cohabitation would lead to the couple being socially considered married as may have been the case with Helen Tait (who seems to have been true to her man) and the prolific Elizabeth. I found this explanation on the web:

"Until recently in Scotland, there was a form of common law marriage called 'marriage by cohabitation with habit and repute'. The theory behind this law was that if a man and woman cohabited as husband and wife in Scotland for sufficient time and were generally held and reputed to be husband and wife and were free to marry each other, they would be presumed to have consented to marry each other and if this presumption was not overturned, they would be considered to be legally married. This form of common law marriage has now been abolished by the Family Law (Scotland) Act 2006 which came into force on 4 May 2006."

I can't find a legal explanation for the intersting Edmondson marriage where Richard's son John married his father's half sister - any chance she was really a STEP sister (the two terms get very confused in some documents, if she was a step sister she was no blood relation and therefore could legally marry her "nephew").

I get so sad when I see all these poor parents losing their children young. Thanks heavens for modern medicine.

I have a couple of other things but will put them in other messages or I will dae yer heids in!

Jane

Offline janebowie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 16 July 09 12:26 BST (UK) »
Question: I note the mention on one of the headstone photos published here of Helen Bowie Scott died 17th March 1905, aged 70, wife of ???, mother (?) of Elizabeth Cairns Scott b. 25th Aug 1870, d. 6th May, 1919.
Any ideas where these ladies fit in?
Jane

Offline janebowie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 16 July 09 12:42 BST (UK) »
In a previous message I mentioned records of:

the Burgess Roll of Hawick which showed Andrew Bowie blacksmith admitted as Burgess on 13th October, 1842.
He is again mentioned as a Voter in the town (and therefore a home owner and reasonably well off person) in the Slitrig Ward (residing West Port) in 1861.

I assume this is the Andew Bowie b. c 1804 "best friend" of Helen Tait, son of William Bowie and Margaret Hogg.

Not mentioned on the Burgess Roll of 1860, but mentioned as a Voter in 1861 in the North High St Ward, is James Bowie, veterinary surgeon, 43 High St, who I assume to be Andrew's brother, b. 1822.

The other brothers either weren't as well off or couldn't be bothered to make the effort to pay their way into the voting class.

Question:someone mentioned a CROSBIE (BOWIE?) as a brother of Margaret b. 1801 d. 1864 Jedburgh m. William Kennedy (same family of siblings as the abovementioned Andrew and James): does anyone have any info on where he crops up from as he seems to be left out of all family trees?

All the best to you all!
Jane

Offline janebowie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 16 July 09 12:50 BST (UK) »
Hi, came across this exchange: the fact that a James Bowie happens to be a blacksmith rings a bell, as does a "lost in the mists of time" family legend of emigrating relatives being involved in a shipwreck. Do you think there could be a connection?
Jane

Offline janebowie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 16 July 09 13:21 BST (UK) »
Click here and scroll down to the 5th photo: "the lasses".
Cornet's Lass Mary Bowie (the second from the left). (my auntie)
Jane  :D

Offline janebowie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Bowie,Edmondson,Hawick: "bouie"
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 22 July 09 11:11 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone, by chance I came across this interesting document on the Internet:
http://www.astro.ubc.ca/people/scott/book.pdf
There are several listings under "Bowie", including the fact that a "bowie" (alternatives I have seen in many places to the name include "bouie") is a "hard, shallow dish, a round wooden vessel for potatoes etc".
I therefore ask myself if the death of the child of Walter Bowie in 1752 "drowned in a bouie" is a case of negligence while bathing an infant, maybe some eejit went to do the 18th century equivalent of answering the telephone leaving a child of a few months alone in the bath.
Jane

Offline Fiona513

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 14 February 15 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi all
My second Great Grandmother was Jane Hogg Bowie, who married Isaac Edmondson, in June 1876.

I have been trying to map out our tree but, needless to say, have a few gaps.

Exciting to be on here reading the history.

Fi

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 16 February 15 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fi,

Welcome to RootsChat :)

janebowie's emails are not currently working but think that we have been able to notifiy her of your new reply.

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Fiona513

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 17 February 15 09:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Amanda

Isaac & Jane .. my 2nd Great Grandparents  :)

Regards

Fiona