Author Topic: Leiper family in Aucheneross,New Cumnock  (Read 18324 times)

Offline CuriousDiana

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Leiper family in Aucheneross,New Cumnock
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 20 January 08 06:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kylie

What exactly do you know for sure about this family aside from the "submitted entry" on the IGI? (you should always be wary of these). Do you have some accurate later information on them which we could use to trace them?

I only ask because  the only Auchenross I can find is in Perthshire. The only Leipers at the time specified are in Lanarkshire.  You are referring to the New Cumnock area which is in Ayrshire.

As another Rootschatter has explained, the Old Parish Records are of the Established Church only.  Also, many records are illegible, lost, or were never made in the firstplace.  In many small parishes, there was no minister for long periods of time, so co-habitation was regarded as a legal marriage. There are no death records on Scotlandspeople for the time prior to civil registration as yet.  They say the Burial records from the Old Parish Records will be on the website some time in the future .

So, do let us know what you have so that we can help

Diana

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 20 January 08 07:45 GMT (UK) »
Ok, this is what I do have...

Robet Leiper born 1799 Paisley Renfrewshire; married Isabella Miller on 9 August 1828, Avondale, Lanarkshire.

Robert was the son of Thomas Leiper born Ayrshire 1778. Thomas married Agnes Herbert 1797 in Castle Mains, New Cumnock, Ayrshire, and died in Gorbals Lanarkshire in 1813.
This couple had a daughter Jennet born in Castle Mains Ayrshire in 1798, Robert in Paisley Renfrewshire in 1799, and then 6 other children all born in 'Gorbals, Lanarkshire'.

This is the information I have from Robert and Isabella's emigration records in Australia, and Roberts Australian death certificate - this couple and their children emigrated in 1838. Aucheneross appears on a transcribed copy, so it could always be a misread of the actual document.

Therefore, it would seem the Leipers ended up in Lanarkshire, possibly coming from Ayrshire, via Renfrewshire or even originated in Lanarkshire in the first place....I think!!! 

So are we on the right track do you think???

Offline CuriousDiana

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 20 January 08 13:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kylie

I cannot find birth or marriage of Thomas Leiper said to be b. 1778 Ayrshire. I tried some creative variations of his name without luck!

A bit more luck with his children  -

Jennet LOPPER bapt. 12.8.1798 New Cumnock Ayrshire.

Robert LEPPER born 16th, bapt. 17.11.1799 Renfrew.

John NAPIER

Offline CuriousDiana

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 20 January 08 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, Kylie, don't know what happened there!

John NAPIER bapt. 21.3.1802 Glasgow City, Lauristowns (?)

George NAPIER bapt. 1.1.1804 Glasgow City

Jean LIPPER  bapt. 16.3.1806 Glasgow City (she must have died young)

Thomas NAPIER bapt. 4.3.1808 Glasgow City

Jean NAPIER bapt. 30.12.1810 Glasgow City (born to Thomas Napier and Agnes HALBERT)

Agnes NAPIER bapt. 5.8.1813 Glasgow City

The Lipper, Lepper, Lopper, Napier seems to be more a transcription error than anything else.  The records are hard to read, and Leiper is rather unusual.

I could not find either Thomas or Robert's marriage, sorry.

Diana

Offline CuriousDiana

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 21 January 08 04:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kylie

I do think you are on the right track, however you may never have proof as some of the baptisms and marriages you mnetion are simply not in the OPR records.  You could make up a tree to use as a basis for further research, as follows:

You have Thomas Leiper who married Marrion Biggar 4.4.1776 in Avondale parish, Lanarkshire. This marriage is in the records.

Thomas had a son Thomas Leiper b. 2.4.1778 Bapt. 8.4.1778 Avondale parish Lanarkshire. This baptism is in the records, altho' mother's name is not shown.
I think it is possible that Thomas was b. Avondale (town of Strathaven) as per this baptism record,  and not in New Cumnock. Because Thomas married in New Cumnock, his son Robert   Leiper may simply have assumed that his father was born there. Especially as Robert's older sister Jennet was born in New Cumnock.  Here I am assuming that the only reason you say Thomas was b. New Cumnock is that this was stated on Robert's immigration records. Is that right?

Thomas married Agnes Herbert 1797 in New Cumnock, but this marriage is not in the OPR records.  Thomas and Agnes had 8 children as per my list in the previous 2 posts.  The first child was b. in New Cumnock, the second, Robert, in 1799 Paisley, Renfrewshire.

I am inclined to think this was basically an Avondale (Strathaven) family. Like so many Scottish families they had to move away to find work (Thomas was described as a 'day labourer').  Thomas b. 1778 went to New Cumnock where he met and married Agnes Herbert and they had their first child. They must have immediately moved to Paisley, Renfrewshire as their 2nd child Robert was born there in 1799.  Soon after, like hundreds of thousand others, they went to Glasgow where all the work was.  Robert returned to Avondale to marry Isabella Miller in 1828. (altho' this marriage is not in the records.)

Have a look at a map and you will see that the distances we are talking about are not great. 

I will get back to you if I find anything else, but I do recommend you get onto Scotlandspeople yourself.

Diana

Offline CuriousDiana

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 21 January 08 05:16 GMT (UK) »
Kylie, I found the marriage of Robert Leiper and Isabella Miller.  She is shown as Isobel Millar.

Diana

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 21 January 08 06:38 GMT (UK) »
Diana,
THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!!

You are quite right in that all the Scottish info I have is from Roberts emigration records, and therefore what he knew to be true - so it seems very plausable as you suggested that this was in fact a Lanarkshire Avondale family, who moved as required by the need for work.

I have signed up to Scotlands People and bought myself some credits, so I will continue the search as I can, and once again thank you so very much for all your generosity, assistance and patience!!! You have been grand!

Gratefully
Kylie B

Offline CuriousDiana

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 21 January 08 10:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your kind words, Kylie.  Trouble is, I just can't resist a challenge! Good luck with your search.

Diana

Offline boswells

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 30 January 08 15:21 GMT (UK) »
I have Leipers in my tree.  William Leiper born 1783 marrried a Jean Hamilton in 1811. They were at Drumboy farm, Loudon which is the next parish to Avondale but in Ayrshire rather than Lanarkshire.  Their children seem to have all died in infancy. They were in that area as farmers/farm workers for hundreds of years and, as far as I know some of them are still there.  One of them was a Minister in the Free Church of Scotland who moved to Brandon Manitoba around 1860.  Yet another, Guy, went to Worland, Wyoming. USA where he died in 1960.I dont know a lot more but hope that that helps.
Pamal
Mitchell, Stodart/Stothart, Armstrong, Porteous (Dumfriesshire), Taylor, Lindsay, Auld, (Ayrshire)