Author Topic: Leiper family in Aucheneross,New Cumnock  (Read 18326 times)

Offline belhamage

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Leiper family in Aucheneross,New Cumnock
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 09 November 08 03:43 GMT (UK) »
I too am descended from the Leipers who farmed at Drumboy, and my  gr. grandfather was one the children of William Leiper and Jean Hamilton.  He was the third boy child to be named Robert as the first Robert was born July 19, 1812 but died on June 18, 1818 and the second Robert born Dec 27, 1819 died in infancy.  My greatgrandfather Robert Leiper was born April 12, 1832 and as a young man moved south and farmed Belhamage close to Barrhill, Ayrshire before once again moving to farm Glenluce, Wigtownshire in about 1884.  My grandfather was one of his children and the only one who immigrated to Canada.  I have also visited Drumboy and the Leiper gravestones at Newmilns but I live in Canada.  I have over the past 10 years accumulated a lot of information regarding this branch of the Leiper family, and have some information on the Morton connection and also the Wyoming connection, so if you have any questions please ask.

Offline boswells

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 09 November 08 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Belhamage you may be interested to know that Robert farmed the farm called Airyhemming at Glenluce before emigrating.I now have literally hundreds of Leipers in Ayrshire, Australia, New Zealand and the US.
talljohn48. You will not be the first one to come up against the many, so far, unlinked branches of the Morton family.  I have at least 7 families where I have come to a dead end but am sure that if I could go further back all would be made clear.  One of the problems is that the Mortons were members of the Covenanting families are were loath to register the birth of their children.  I have your tree back to Robert Morton and Janet Lindsay (of my family). I also have the tree of Thomas Morton and William Leiper but no linkage other than through the Lindsay connection in several of the lines.
If you need any specific help then let me know.
Boswells
Mitchell, Stodart/Stothart, Armstrong, Porteous (Dumfriesshire), Taylor, Lindsay, Auld, (Ayrshire)

Offline Leiper48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 17 November 08 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your offers of help, Belhamage and Boswells. I'm away from home at the moment, so dont have access to all my research details. I'll be in touch when I get home later this week.
Talljohn48
Morton, Leiper, Donaldson, Hamilton, Balantyne, Torrance, Steel, Wilson, Young, Smith, all from Ayrshire/Lanarkshire, Scotland
Pearce, Day, Chiddy, Kingdon, Dunn: Southern England
Darbyshire: Lancashire
Derbyshire, Owen, Jones : N Wales
Beatty, Lannon: Waterford, Ireland

Offline liznel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 17 November 08 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Auchencross was owned by my In-Laws (Findlay) until recently when the coal board bought is to open cast the area. ???
Findlay, riccarton kilmarnock.
Nelson,  Ireland and Ayrshire
Mc kellar, Argyll Fenwick and Kirkoswald
Gilmour, Kirkoswald.
Telfer, Dumfries Kircudbright
Blair, Ireland Ayrshire.
O'Hara, Ireland and St-Quivox.
Blane, Ayrshire st-quivox Kilwinning.
Gibb, Auchinleck

Offline Leiper61

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 24 July 12 18:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Kylie B,

I have just had a joined RootsChat and have come across your entry regarding the Leiper family. I am a member of the Leiper family of  Strathaven and this interests me dearly. Before my father died some 18 years ago, he was really into his family tree, and some of the things mentioned in your entry are in what he has. A lot of the information he has collected he obtained from he library in East Kilbride regarding births and marriages. The William Leiper of Drumboy Farm is mentioned in it, but I do not know if he was actually related. His great great grandfather was James Leiper of Parkhead of Kype. I don't have a dob for him, but his great grandfather was Robert Leiper (a carrier) born 24/11/1776. He had 2 brothers and 4 sisters. Their mother was a Janet Aiton. I have so many pages on it that it would be impossible to print it all.
Don't know if this will help you with your research.

Offline Hleapere

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 15 October 12 18:44 BST (UK) »
Leiper61,

I would be very interested to see the information you mentioned. If you scan it, you can attach it to one of your postings.

I am interested in John Leiper (b. 12Dec1706) of Avondale. His mother was Issabell and his father was Robert Leiper. I am trying to identify whether this is the same John Leiper that emigrated to the States and died in Hamilton Twp., Cumberland Co., Pennsylvania in 1782.

My understand is that the name is actually Germanic, as it has no meaning in Gaelic. They're found in southern Scotland from very early days. From what I've seen, in England its Leaper, in Scotland its Leiper, and in Ulster and the States its Leeper. My family originally spelled their name Leiper and then switched to Leeper after they had been in the States a while.

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Gretta Coyle 1924 - 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 22 September 20 21:53 BST (UK) »
I have recently been introduced to the Leiper family in my own research. 

I am interested in Catherine/Katrin Leiper who married 
1/ James Torrance 30 October 1712, Lesmahagow.
2/ John Watson 19 September 1733, Lesmahagow. Farmer at Langkype

I descend from her Son John Torrance, Deadwaters Farm that married
1/ Marion Hamilton
2/ Jean Fram/Frame in 1766 Lesmahagow.

The Leiper, Hamilton, Torrance, & Semple families are very challenging to keep straight! There are so many of them.  But if any of you has come across Katrin Leiper I would appreciate your input.
Stewart, Moore, Murray, McLure, Beaton, McIntyre, Sinclair, Barr, Burnside, Welsh, Barker, McGibbon, Harrison, Gallacher/Gallagher, Hedley