Author Topic: Harkess father & son and crew drown 1892  (Read 29393 times)

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Harkess father & son and crew drown 1892
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 19 March 15 01:25 GMT (UK) »

Are you are Harkess too?

Lucy Harkess

No, I am a Buchanan, fishing and mining family from Cockenzie and Port Seton, Prestonpans and Tranent were nearest registrars,  so many people from village were registered in either place.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline Westwards

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 19 March 15 08:15 GMT (UK) »
I don`t remember any Harkess relatives from Prestonpans,James was from Port Seton though Chrissie was from Prestonpans,there were relatives but not Harkess relatives,that said maybe  the Harkess family branched off at some point earlier and some lived in Prestonpans.I personally don`t remember ever hearing the name in Prestonpans,only Port Seton.There is a possibility that it`s a different family.The name Harkess and it`s different variations is reasonably local,though closer to the borders.The name James does appear to be very popular to the Harkess family though.
cheers

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 19 March 15 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Westwards,

The fact that he has "Donaldson" as a middle name, makes me think he is connected to Cockenzie somehow. Some people were born in Cockenzie but registered in Prestonpans or Tranent as they were nearest registrars. LucyAH1985 may come back with some details today. Her father is 7 years younger than me, so we may get lucky.

Tom

Offline LucyAH1985

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 19 March 15 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi all - sorry for late reply - I have been working. I spoke to my dad tonight and he confirmed that my grandfather James Harkess was from Preston pans. I have sent him the link to this and he will come and join the conversation as he is keen to learn more about our roots. This may be tomorrow now as he is just back from holiday. The only other info I can give as I was so young when my grandparents died are that my grandfather a harkess (James) married Elizabeth (I don't know her maiden name infortunately as she died when mum was pregnant with me) my grandfather must be on record somewhere as he escaped a great pit fire and was badly burned. I will see if I can find any record of this for you all. Failing that dad - will be in touch. We also have relatives on that side who live in America. Dunno if they will remove this but I can be contact at lucyharkess@hotmail.com x

Offline LucyAH1985

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 19 March 15 23:42 GMT (UK) »
Also to add to the James thing my little brother is John James Harkess, named after grampa Harkess and Dad! I'm convinced there is something in this guys! If possible can you chuck me an email when you reply as this is a web page on an iPhone and doesn't give alerts! Cheers! Lucy Harkess x

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 19 March 15 23:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lucy,

Can you get more info please, where and approx when, was your grandfather married to Elizabeth?
When did your Grandfather die, can get wife's name of the DC. What pit did your grandfather have the fire in, and when approx. my father worked in Prestonlinks pit in Prestonpans.

Tom

Offline LucyAH1985

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 20 March 15 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Tom, thanks for email alert. Dad is the wealth of knowledge on this, I will make sure he comes on tomorrow and gives all the answers he can. As I said my grandparents on that side were very old when I was born and 1 died before I  was born so I didnt learn too much. Dad did ask if you would email him? He hasn't seen the post at all yet but his email is John.Harkess@tesco.net. Of you would fill him on he would be greatly interested. He also has a degree in history so this is totally doubly (if that makes sense) up his street! Lucy x

Offline LucyAH1985

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 20 March 15 00:08 GMT (UK) »
Also I would greatly appreciate if you would copy me in - that way I can make sure he replied to you! L x

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 20 March 15 00:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lucy,

Can you remove the email addresses,  it is against RootChat's rules, prevents you from being spammed etc.

Tom