Author Topic: Broadband keeps cutting out  (Read 7882 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Broadband keeps cutting out
« on: Thursday 17 January 08 17:34 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if any of you Computer buffs can help?

I've had Broadband for a while now - I won't mention the provider's name but suffice to say I live in an area where we don't have a choice - we have to go with this provider.

From the start, I've had problems with the connection cutting itself out roughly every half hour or so - sometimes less, sometimes more. I tried getting them to do something about it but they suggested it was something in my PC which was causing the problem. To be honest, I''ve been putting up with it and re-connecting every time it happens because I'm a bit of a wimp  :-[ when it comes to computer -speak, which is all these customer service types seem to be able to talk to you in. I often don't understand a word they say, and they're not the most patient of people!!

So, at last - to my question!  ::)

Is it likely that something in my PC is causing this disconnection and if so is there anything anyone can suggest that I can do about it (other than screaming )?

Oh and please - if you can help, could it be as near as possible to plain English?! Remember - I'm a computer wimp!! ;)

Thanks,
Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline crystalight

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Happy Hunting
    • View Profile
Re: Broadband keeps cutting out
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 January 08 18:21 GMT (UK) »
 :-\ Hi Jill ,

I know little about computers but I also suffer drops in connection, Sometimes none at all and at other times, several breaks during the time I am on line. Occasionally it takes several attempts to reconnect because it tells me there is no dial tone  ::)

I sought their technical help  ::) ::) ::) not very helpful, they tried blaming my connection and then decided it may be interference from something in the house.  :o :o :o

I have put up with the problem, re-connecting when necessary, it can be annoying though when in the middle of downloading something.   

Hope you have better results  ???

Crystal  :D
Oakes and Rance - Cheshire
Wright, Teesdale, MacWhirter -Sussex
Wright, Wooldridge and Little - Surrey and London
Grimes - Middlesex and Surrey
Cardy - Surrey
Broyd, Hanch and Lazell - Essex
Bradshawe - Hampshire, London and East Indies
Hearsey - India (British Army), Cumberland and London

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 January 08 18:24 GMT (UK) »
Jill

I take it that you are with BT. I had masses of problems with them in rural Scotland. I think the best thing is to get onto their 'wholesale dept' and make a big fuss. We formed a local group.

Gadget

PS - it is likely that your PC is fine - they tried to fob me off with that one and then I said 'What, all 3 of them'  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 January 08 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Our broadband service provider (which I might paraphrase as "maiden"!) drops out from time to time. Very frustrating.

Usually little one can do.  >:(

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 January 08 18:44 GMT (UK) »
No, Gadget, I'm not with BT. I'm with Karoo which has a monopoly in this area because they (or a subsidiary of the same company) also provide the phone service.

My disconnecting isn't 'from time to time' either. I can pretty much guarantee that it will cut out within half an hour every time I connect.

I didn't really see how it could be my PC either when they suggested it but I don't know enough about it to argue with them! To be fair to them, the last time I reported it (by email), they suggested I ring them but - as I said before - I just can't be doing with all the jargon they throw at me.

It looks as though I'm going to have to face it though - I've tried listening to one of those radio replays recently but I couldn't get through a half hour show without being disconnected - and that was in the middle of the afternoon when I assume the connection wouldn't be that busy - would understand if it was early to mid evening.

I suppose what I should do is keep a diary for a couple of weeks logging exactly when it disconnects and then present them with that!

Jill
HELP!!!

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline PaulaToo

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me 'n Gerry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 January 08 19:54 GMT (UK) »
I'm with the Supermarker where 'Every little helps'
I have times when I loose internet connection... repeatedly.

I have found it coincides with two things, wet and windy and 'orrible weather, and school holidays.

The rest of the time it's pretty good.
Bartlett/Henley on Thames
Caponhurst/Buckinghamshire and?
Denchfield/North Marston/Bucks
Webb/Winchester
Mathias/Pembroke/Pembroke Dock
John/Pembroke/Pembroke Dock
Smith/Portsmouth/Portsea
Purchas/Bucks and?
Olliffe/Bucks

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 January 08 20:09 GMT (UK) »
I can only suppose that the thing that is allegedly causing your connection to drop is a lack of keyboard or mouse activity, rather like when your computer going into hibernation mode due to a lack of activity.  For instance can a screen saver cause disconnection?

Have they offered you a clue as to why your computer would sabotage your connection?

Post their message to you here (the exciting bits) and we will see if we can understand it.
Sussex: Floate, West
Kent: Tuffee
Cheshire: Gradwell
Lancashire: Gradwell

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 January 08 21:07 GMT (UK) »
It's certainly not happening because of lack of keyboard or mouse action - that's one thing I'm sure of!!

This was their first reply:

"On checking it seems that the problems you have been experiencing could be down to a fault we saw on your telephone line. We have made some adjustments to your line which should reduce the amount of disconnections.

If you could monitor the service over the next few days and if you are still having problems then please contact the helpdesk on ...

Hope this was of some help to you."

It made absolutely no difference.

This was their follow up:

"I have taken a look at your connection logs; from this we can see when your connection has dropped and the reason for the connection dropping. All recent disconnections on your account have been due to ‘user request’ – this means that your computer or router is requesting the disconnections.

Could you tell us if you are using a modem or router to connect to the service? If you are using a modem, it may be worth checking that there is no ‘idle disconnect’ option selected. To do this:

Open Internet Explorer and click tools>internet options>connections.
Click on your Karoo/Speedtouch connection to highlight it, then click on settings.
Click on the advanced button, here you will see the idle disconnect option – ensure this is disabled.
Click ok, then ok again.

Test your connection again. If it continues to disconnect, there may be a program trying to update itself on an alternative connection. Check for any software that may be doing this. Also, do you notice if the problem occurs when opening Outlook Express?

Any other information you can provide will help us diagnose the problem further."

As you can see, all very polite. I followed the instructions they gave (above) but when I got as far as Step 3 the Advanced button was not functional (i.e. not in black text) so I couldn't go any further.

I emailed them back to tell them this + that i was using the speedtouch device they sent me to connect to the service and that I had no idea whether it was a modem or a router.

They answered by asking me to ring them. That's when I wimped out!  :-[

All this was some months ago but I've been getting more and more cheesed off wih constantly having to re-connect. It only takes a second (usually) but it's very annoying when you're in the middle of a search or - as I said before - trying to listen to the replay of a radio prog.

I don't know if anyone can make any sense of the above?

Jill

PS Was disconnected as I previewed this message and had to retype some of the corrections I'd made. I made a note of my connection time - 20.30 - and when I was disconnected - 20.58.

HELP!!!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 17 January 08 21:11 GMT (UK) »
It does seem to me that it is something to do with your set up, Jill  :(

Downside will probably be able to home in on the probelm immediately with that info  :)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***