Author Topic: Broadband keeps cutting out  (Read 7889 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Re: Broadband keeps cutting out
« Reply #18 on: Friday 18 January 08 12:07 GMT (UK) »
I've been having real trouble getting into RC this morning - just hoping that it's on one of its slow days and it's nothing I've done when trying to correct this problem.

Meles - thanks, but you're talking to an ignoramus here and just saying 'there's a tick button' meant absolutely nothing to me!!  :-[ So, no chocolate buttons, I'm afraid!!

Downside,

I tried to follow what you said. I don't think my set up is quite the same as yours. I did notice that my 'Always dial my default connection' isn't checked but rather 'Never dial my default' but I didn't change it as yet because..

Somehow - and I'm not sure how, following your instructions I came to a Settings box. I had a box checked which says ' Disconnect when connection may not be needed' so I was really really brave (!!  ;D) and unchecked it! I don't yet know whether this has had any effect but will let you know. On the same box (assuming I can ever find it again!), there is also an 'Enable idle disconnect' which is checked and another bit which has

"Disconnect if idle for - mins" and "Consider idle at - % of connection speed" My settings are currently 20 mins & 5% respectively. Should I be changing these if my wonderful manoeuvre above (!  ::)) doesn't work?

Thanks for your advice and encouragement everyone - I'm sending you a virtual chocolate bar anyway, Meles!!

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 18 January 08 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Oh well! That didn't work. I connected at 11.53 and was disconnected at 12.14 - even quicker than usual!

Should I now be unchecking that "Enable idle disconnect" button or just changing the number of minutes & percentage of connection speed?

If I can find the damn thing again - that is!

Oh, I wish I was computer literate! I think it must be a generational thing - my niece gives me pitying looks when I ask her anything to do with computers. I did a Christmas Quiz for the family and actually managed to 'import' (get me!) a picture of Father Christmas onto the question papers from clip art. I was very proud of myself but my niece just gave me one of those "so?!" looks.

Never mind, I'm very good at genealogy......

Jill

HELP!!!

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 18 January 08 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Should I now be unchecking that "Enable idle disconnect" button or just changing the number of minutes & percentage of connection speed?

Oh yes.  That's probably the thing that is causing your problem.
Sussex: Floate, West
Kent: Tuffee
Cheshire: Gradwell
Lancashire: Gradwell

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 18 January 08 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Downside.

I just amazed myself by finding the same box again, and I've unchecked that button. So, keep your digits crossed!!

I'll report back.

Jill
HELP!!!

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 18 January 08 13:41 GMT (UK) »
NO.

CONNECTED 13.17 DISCONNECTED 13.37.

Am I allowed to swear?

Looks like I'm going to have to phone them - unless anyone has any other ideas?

Jill
HELP!!!

Offline Tony Payne

• RootsChat Senior
  • Tony Payne, Southampton, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 18 January 08 14:01 GMT (UK) »
My stepmum used to have broadband in the UK - with Tiscali I think.  The connection behaved like it was a dial up connection, connecting when the computer was turned on and disconnecting when idle.  I didn't set it up or have enough info/time to fiddle, but from my experience broadband is a permanent connection (unless the link goes down!).
I am researching the following families:
Hurst / Payne - Leicestershire / Warwickshire / Worcestershire
Toon(e) - Leicestershire
Batchelor / Foster - Warwickshire / Northamptonshire
Hardy - Dorset

My web site has the family tree showing.  I am researching primarily the Payne, Hurst, Foster and Batchelor lines in the Midlands.

Off The Record With Debbie And Tony

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 18 January 08 14:21 GMT (UK) »
I suppose you should give your computer a quick reboot.

It might be that it has not picked up the change you made and that it is still holding your old setting in your memory (RAM).

Start afresh and see what happens.
Sussex: Floate, West
Kent: Tuffee
Cheshire: Gradwell
Lancashire: Gradwell

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GeoffE

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 18 January 08 14:37 GMT (UK) »

Kicking your computer around may make you feel better but is unlikely to improve the situation.

Don't cry because its over. Smile because it happened.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 18 January 08 14:44 GMT (UK) »

Kicking your computer around may make you feel better but is unlikely to improve the situation.

OH haha Geoff,very droll.

Jill don't you have any computer whizz kids or grandkids.....or neighbours with similar to help out.

I moan that my 28 year old son is still at home,but as he keeps reminding me " who would you call to sort out your PC problems"...........er him,but he'd just have to travel further  8)

It does sound like you have it programmed to switch into powersave mode after about 30 mins though.

Crossing my fingers (and other things) here for you.

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk