Author Topic: R.A.O.B. or Buffaloes  (Read 149529 times)

Offline whittenbury

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: R.A.O.B. or Buffaloes
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 27 January 08 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Sorry about that i did not realise my wife had loged on this pc but it is me honest lol
The jewel on the right is his knights jewel need to examine the other two a bit more not that clear be in touch soon
Den
Whittenbury All
Banks Smith Broomhall Willenhall
Perrin birmingham
Van-De-Putte Belgium
mills fairford

Offline Burto

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Loving the new flag!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 27 January 08 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
What does it mean-Buffaloism? My Grandfather was one (either that or his Dad, both had the same forename). I never realised until I was rumaging through some old photos and found some kind of certificate!!!
Thanks.
Swift , Matthews, Price , Clarke , Rockley, Dewey, Turton, Wild, Nottingham
Aldread, Brentnall, Cowlishaw Derbyshire
Elliot, The Borders/Nottingham FWK industry
Hartopp, NW Leicester (Barkby and surrounds).
Smith Bilston Staffordshire
Bennett, Calary? Ireland
Johnson, Staffordshire/Warwickshire
Latham, Lewis, Trevor, Vero, Armstrong, Barnett

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 27 January 08 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Me too!

I recently came across a beautifully coloured certificate which must have been presented to my father, certifying that he had "been duly initiated into the mysteries of BUFFALOISM with all the ancient rites and ceremonies."  on 27th March, 1937.

Arched at the top is "Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes".  Grand Middlesex Banner - an "Eclectic" Lodge No. 219.  (I think this would be likely in the Tottenham Court Road area)

Lovely prints at the bottom of King John signing the Magtna Charta and Queen Elizaqbeth presenting Earl Essex the Banner & Motto of our Order.

What appears to be the motto is on scrolling like ribbon "In things Essential UNITY", "In things Doubtful LIBERTY", "and in all things CHARITY".
Also pictures of what would appear to be statues representing Europe, Asia, Africa and America.

Such a pity it's too large to scan but I would like to know more about what Buffaloism is.

Thanks
Mary
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 27 January 08 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
What does it mean-Buffaloism? My Grandfather was one (either that or his Dad, both had the same forename). I never realised until I was rumaging through some old photos and found some kind of certificate!!!
Thanks.

Hello Burto and MaryA,

Click to read "An introduction to Buffaloism as practiced by the R.A.O.B." by David Hardy.

Christopher

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 27 January 08 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Christopher, that's a good link.

Mary
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline whittenbury

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 27 January 08 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Christopher
He will like that he is a member of my lodge.
Its a bit long winded.
To be a member you must be Initiated into the order.
The main aspects of the order is philanthropy, benevolance.
but to keep it short have a good night out & help the less fortunate brothers and the local comunity.
I will answer your posts individualy
Den
Whittenbury All
Perrin birmingham
Van-De-Putte Belgium
mills fairford

Offline whittenbury

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 27 January 08 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Thanks.
Hi Burto
If you tell me the bits on the certificate I will help a bit more.
you dont need to copy every thing just the basics esp the handwritten stuff
Den
Whittenbury All
Perrin birmingham
Van-De-Putte Belgium
mills fairford

Offline whittenbury

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 27 January 08 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Me too!

I recently came across a beautifully coloured certificate which must have been presented to my father, certifying that he had "been duly initiated into the mysteries of BUFFALOISM with all the ancient rites and ceremonies."  on 27th March, 1937.

Arched at the top is "Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes".  Grand Middlesex Banner - an "Eclectic" Lodge No. 219.  (I think this would be likely in the Tottenham Court Road area)

Lovely prints at the bottom of King John signing the Magtna Charta and Queen Elizaqbeth presenting Earl Essex the Banner & Motto of our Order.

What appears to be the motto is on scrolling like ribbon "In things Essential UNITY", "In things Doubtful LIBERTY", "and in all things CHARITY".
Also pictures of what would appear to be statues representing Europe, Asia, Africa and America.

Such a pity it's too large to scan but I would like to know more about what Buffaloism is.

Thanks
Mary

Hi Mary
you are right it is a lovely certificate.
I think Christopher answerd that one.
I dont have much on the G.M.B but i think I have an old directory I will have a look to see if his lodge is in there at least you will know what pub he was drinking in (no we dont ALL drink)
Den
Whittenbury All
Perrin birmingham
Van-De-Putte Belgium
mills fairford

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 27 January 08 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Aaah, the pub is the clue to the whereabouts is it then?  I'm suspecting the Green Man since mum pointed it out to me once when we were in London, I think it was opposite the Middlesex Hospital where dad worked.

Come to think of it, he probably worked in the Green Man itself for a while before he got the job in the hospital.

Thanks Den
Mary