Author Topic: R.A.O.B. or Buffaloes  (Read 149501 times)

Offline whittenbury

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: R.A.O.B. or Buffaloes
« Reply #189 on: Monday 02 April 12 09:33 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have recently acquired the attached photo of my gg grandfather, Matthew Thomas Phillips (1857-1930) - who lived in Clifton, Bristol.  Unfortunately there is no information with the photo, but I think it shows him as a member of the raob.  Are you able to confirm this, please, and is there any way to tell from the photo what position he would have held in the organisation?  Any information would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Hi yve nt
 The picture looks like it was taken on the day of his raising to the 3rd degree (Knight Order of Merit)
The Jewel he is wearing IS Grand Lodge of England. The Lodge must have thought very highly of this brother as he was presented with full regalia. I don't think the Bristol provinces have a website. There is one for Grand Council but that is the wrong section for him.
Den
Whittenbury All
Banks Smith Broomhall Willenhall
Perrin birmingham
Van-De-Putte Belgium
mills fairford

Offline yve-nt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: Monday 02 April 12 10:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Den,
That's great - thank you so much for the information.
yve-nt

Offline moogester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: Wednesday 04 April 12 18:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Den, This is a photo of my Great Great Grandfather, he lived in Battersea, London.  I've been trying to identify his sash and somebody suggested he could have been a Buffalo.  What do you think?

Offline whittenbury

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: Wednesday 04 April 12 22:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Den, This is a photo of my Great Great Grandfather, he lived in Battersea, London.  I've been trying to identify his sash and somebody suggested he could have been a Buffalo.  What do you think?

Hi Moogester
Sorry I have no idea ???. It is NOT Buffaloes, but hope you don't mind I have forwarded it on to see if any of my friends know ;).
Den
Whittenbury All
Perrin birmingham
Van-De-Putte Belgium
mills fairford

Offline whittenbury

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: Thursday 05 April 12 09:10 BST (UK) »

From your picture can you read what the top line says?
Den
Whittenbury All
Perrin birmingham
Van-De-Putte Belgium
mills fairford

Offline moogester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: Thursday 05 April 12 11:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Den, Thanks so much for replying.  The top line reads "Pride of Battersea", any info you can give me will be gratefully received!

Offline whittenbury

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: Friday 06 April 12 22:36 BST (UK) »

From your picture can you read what the top line says?
Den
I did get an answer from another Buff, this is his reply
"Original Grand Order of the Totally Abstinent Sons of the Phoenix
This order which appears to have existed from the mid 1800s until just after the Second World War was a temperance order having male, female and junior divisions. Their regalia consisted of a shoulder sash and large jewels for their lodge masters known as ‘grand nobles’. Serving Grand Nobles carried a phoenix topped sceptre as their badge of office. There were splits in the ‘Original Grand Order’ that led to the formation of the ‘United Order’ and ‘Ancient Order’."
So presumably "J N" stands for Junior Noble.
I hope this helps you
Den
Whittenbury All
Perrin birmingham
Van-De-Putte Belgium
mills fairford

Offline Guyana

• RootsChat Member
  • How far back do you want to go?
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: Saturday 07 April 12 10:10 BST (UK) »
Is the bird shown on the sash a phoenix? And what is the insignia right at the top? They could possibly hold the answer.
CORDEN - N.Staffs/N.Warwicks
MORGAN - Tamworth/Notts
HIGGS - N. Warwicks
DEEMING - N.Warwicks
LEWIS - N.Warwicks

Offline dparker224

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: Saturday 07 April 12 17:58 BST (UK) »
hi there, this is the first time Ive posted on here so im sorry if Ive posted in the wrong place, im wanting to know if anyone has information on a wonderful old brass lectern which is from the R.A.O.B oliver cromwell lodge, presented by primo philip dahl 1-1-19 no.77, then another plaque on the base reads presented by primo j.christy to oliver cromwell lodge nov 5th 1906, it is a large heavy piece with a brass plaque which can be turned around, one side reads LIBERTY, the other side reads STRICT. THE PART WHERE THE BOOK WOULD REST IS ALL PIERCED WITH THE r.a.o.b LETTERS AND PRESENTATION WRITING, its an amazing piece, feel free to mail me at * and i will try and send photos or ill try add a couple on here, kindest regards, daniel
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php