Author Topic: R.A.O.B. or Buffaloes  (Read 148440 times)

Offline whittenbury

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: R.A.O.B. or Buffaloes
« Reply #207 on: Friday 20 April 12 11:37 BST (UK) »
Hi I wonder if you can give me any information my grandfather was in the buffs in I think senghenydd, glamorganshire.  I have attached a photograph.  If you can give me any information applicable to him it would be greatly appreciated.

Name: William henry phillips of 9 brynhyfrydd terrace senghenydd, glamorganshire.
I believe he was in the buffs in the late 50' & 60's maybe earlier.

I understand that the buffs paid for his funeral according to the family.  Not sure if this is correct.

Do you know what the regalia is around my grandfathers neck and what it represents.

thank you   rvb
Hi RVB
Looking at the Directory for 1959 there was one Lodge in Senghenydd 1120 William Griffiths Lodge. They met at Gwernymilwr Hotel senghenydd Glam on Friday evenings. (At the time the Lodge was in the Cardiff Province)
The Lodge is still going but it now comes under the Caerphilly & District Province. Still meet on a Fri at Windsor Hotel senghenydd. I cant find a Province website for them.
It is not uncommon for the Buffs to help out for Funeral expenses (After all if we cant look after our own who can we look after?) While searching yours I found an interesting article that mentioned his village that sometime prior to 1914 there was an RAOB fund for the senghenydd Miners Disaster Fund. (I dont know any more than the fact it had a fund).
It's a bit hard to see the details on the collar but he is wearing the City Marshals Collar. The lower Jewel looks like a Lodge Jewel & the other looks like a 2nd degree (Primo) Jewel. The confusing bit the sash looks v light & that would suggest 4th Degree (Roll of Honour)
Hope this helps a bit
Den
Whittenbury All
Banks Smith Broomhall Willenhall
Perrin birmingham
Van-De-Putte Belgium
mills fairford

Offline rvb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: Friday 20 April 12 13:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Thank you for that information.  Could you clarify what it means?  does it mean he was high up in the lodge?  Sorry if I am dumb but I know nothing about the buffs.
Also can you tell me how I would get in touch with Caerphilly District to see if they have any more info as I have done a google search with no such luck.

thank you  rvb
Names: Thomas, Phillips
Areas: Senghenydd, Abertridwr, Trethomas, Caerau, Glamorganshire
Llandilofawr, Carmarthenshire

Offline whittenbury

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: Friday 20 April 12 15:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Thank you for that information.  Could you clarify what it means?  does it mean he was high up in the lodge?  Sorry if I am dumb but I know nothing about the buffs.
Also can you tell me how I would get in touch with Caerphilly District to see if they have any more info as I have done a google search with no such luck.

thank you  rvb

Hi RVB
If he was a Roll of Honour then yes that is the highest degree you get in Buffaloism.
I dont have the Caephilly details but will PM you the Cardiff Secretary's email. He is Bro Colin Young.
Whittenbury All
Perrin birmingham
Van-De-Putte Belgium
mills fairford

Offline daveuk1983

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: Wednesday 25 April 12 19:10 BST (UK) »
Hi if anyone on here would like any info on the buffaloes just post on here and I will see what I can get for you (prob not a lot) but could lead you in the right direction .
What I do have are records of where lodge met the Lodge name and number,
so if you find some old jewels or papers from your family just ask.
I am a member of the order and try to record items of intrest for the future
Den
or my title
Bro Den Whittenbury R O H.
PS if I dont reply within a couple of days PM me ;)

whittenbury I cant seem to send a pm, but if you are interested or know anyone who would be I have came across some old lodge notes and ledger books for lodge no 27 dating back to the 1920's.
Please try and get in contact as I dont want to see them lost again

Offline whittenbury

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: Wednesday 25 April 12 20:03 BST (UK) »
Hi if anyone on here would like any info on the buffaloes just post on here and I will see what I can get for you (prob not a lot) but could lead you in the right direction .
What I do have are records of where lodge met the Lodge name and number,
so if you find some old jewels or papers from your family just ask.
I am a member of the order and try to record items of intrest for the future
Den
or my title
Bro Den Whittenbury R O H.
PS if I dont reply within a couple of days PM me ;)

whittenbury I cant seem to send a pm, but if you are interested or know anyone who would be I have came across some old lodge notes and ledger books for lodge no 27 dating back to the 1920's.
Please try and get in contact as I dont want to see them lost again

Hi Daveuk
Yes I would defiantly be interested in those items, as you can see by the older posts the more I get then the more I can share. Rootschat does not allow email addresses on here (because of spammers) So I will send you a PM
Regards
Den
Whittenbury All
Perrin birmingham
Van-De-Putte Belgium
mills fairford

Offline swampinstein

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: Thursday 26 April 12 17:02 BST (UK) »
My father was a buffalo.

When I was young my dad became very ill and had to spend a lot of time in hospital..He was there over christmas....We went to visit my father on christmas day....some Buffalo members came to visit my father too and with them they brought me a beautiful doll for a christmas present. (they knew my father hadn't got much money due to not being able to work)........My mum asked me what I was going to call the doll....I replied.....her name is Kindness, because those men were very kind to give it to me.
I still remember those men even now and i'm 50.
Sperry
Leicester
Bagworth
Heather
Prime
Gadsby
spence
Knight

Offline swampinstein

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: Thursday 26 April 12 17:06 BST (UK) »
My mum was in the Glades which I believe is the female version of the buffaloes.
Sperry
Leicester
Bagworth
Heather
Prime
Gadsby
spence
Knight

Offline whittenbury

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: Thursday 26 April 12 17:07 BST (UK) »
My father was a buffalo.

When I was young my dad became very ill and had to spend a lot of time in hospital..He was there over christmas....We went to visit my father on christmas day....some Buffalo members came to visit my father too and with them they brought me a beautiful doll for a christmas present. (they knew my father hadn't got much money due to not being able to work)........My mum asked me what I was going to call the doll....I replied.....her name is Kindness, because those men were very kind to give it to me.
I still remember those men even now and i'm 50.

What a wonderful sweet memory you have. It is nice to see families getting as much out of the order as the the Brothers do  :)
Whittenbury All
Perrin birmingham
Van-De-Putte Belgium
mills fairford

Offline whittenbury

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: Thursday 26 April 12 17:09 BST (UK) »
My mum was in the Glades which I believe is the female version of the buffaloes.

You are right they are very similar but not officially connected (mores the pity)  ;)
Whittenbury All
Perrin birmingham
Van-De-Putte Belgium
mills fairford