Author Topic: R.A.O.B. or Buffaloes  (Read 149574 times)

Offline whittenbury

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: R.A.O.B. or Buffaloes
« Reply #234 on: Saturday 22 September 12 12:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks for trying Den.

Salty

If you can give me dates when they were in the order & possibly an address I could work out what lodges they were a member of. Plus their names. you never know as one could have been a Provincial Grand Secretary and I would have details on that.
Den
Whittenbury All
Banks Smith Broomhall Willenhall
Perrin birmingham
Van-De-Putte Belgium
mills fairford

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: Saturday 22 September 12 14:19 BST (UK) »
The surname is Whitman and it was in Basingstoke prior to the end of 1979, not sure that either of them were in office at all. I went to the club once (If thats what you call it) off Reading Road in Basingstoke if my memory serves me right.

Thanks
Salty
KENT-CANTERBURY & DEAL areas.  Brient-Hitchcock-Reynolds-Pittock;O'Neill-Ireland-Whitman-Harvey-Martin-Norris
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock
HANTS-BASINGSTOKE, PRESTON CANDOVER & surrounding areas, Mills-Whitman-Marshall-Whitear-Hall-Patience-Burke-Bulpit-Wise-Marlow-Page - Pragnell.
SOMERSET-FROME area, Marshall. Dredge.
WILTSHIRE-HORNINGSHAM area-Marshall
ABERDEEN-Middleton-Milne-Cruickshank-Stevenson-Ogg

Offline jILLh1941

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: Saturday 22 September 12 14:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you getting back to me - my grand-dad lived in Uttoxeter before moving to Reading, before that he lived in  London where he married my grandmother in 1903?  He was in Bromley Kent and also Derby prior to being in London. He was in the Buffs for 40 years at the time of his death (aged 79 in 1936) so that would take his involvement in the Buffs back to approx 1896! Prior to him being in Bromley in 1897 we have no idea where he was!  Any suggestions would be most gratefully received. Regards Jill 

Offline Becky84

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: Thursday 27 September 12 01:07 BST (UK) »
My mums great uncle William Craig of Hull who owned a pub (the crown and Anchor), in the newspaper it said he was a prominant member and at his funeral around 80 members were present and burial service of the order was read by Bro. H jenkinson, R.O.H.

Here is a photo of his funeral from newspaper:

Hi
Do you know the name of the Lodge? If not what year did he Die? I can see if a Lodge used his Hotel to meet. You could also try Contacting someone from the Hull Province http://raobhullprovince.co.uk/
I can see that there were a lot of members from your pic. The fact the Brothers are walking with the Hearse would suggest he had a Buffalo Funeral
Den

No I don't know the name of the lodge, He died in 1931.
Becky

Moyses (Ellis), Cunningham, craig, cockburn, tuttle, carr, bush, green, longhorn, sewell, Rimmer, Warkup, quantrill, oliver, atkinson (weel/Hull), Milner, Wilson....

Offline illidge knight

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: Thursday 20 December 12 14:54 GMT (UK) »
My Father was a druid lodge number 642 and chapter 29 , I am trying to find out more about these lodges, and if they are still around today

My dad is now 92 and was in the lodge in 1957

Offline arranquest

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: Friday 25 January 13 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I am trying to trace details of my Great Grandfather's life. He was named Frank Besant, lived in Pembroke Dock, and was a member of "the Buffs", in fact they paid for his funeral in 1936, and looked after his widow (Mary Ann) and children. They lived at 40 Military Road, Pennar, Pembroke Dock. In his obituary there is mention of him "After his return to Pembroke Dock (after the First World War) he took a great interest in British Legion work and also served for a time on the Mayor's Poor Relief Committee".

I hope that you can help with any reference to him, or the history of the R.A.O.B. in Pembroke Dock.

Many Thanks, arranquest

Offline whittenbury

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: Friday 08 March 13 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Sorry I have no records on the Druids  ???
Den

My Father was a druid lodge number 642 and chapter 29 , I am trying to find out more about these lodges, and if they are still around today

My dad is now 92 and was in the lodge in 1957
Whittenbury All
Perrin birmingham
Van-De-Putte Belgium
mills fairford

Offline whittenbury

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: Friday 08 March 13 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi arranquest
There were quite a few Lodges In Pembroke Dock at that time and they came under the " Pembroke Dock & Tenby Province"
That Province is now the " South Pembrokeshire Province" They don't have a website but I have an email address of their Secretary I will send you it in a PM.
On another note I have stayed in Military Rd myself in the early 80's at my ex Wifes Aunt  :o
Den

Hello, I am trying to trace details of my Great Grandfather's life. He was named Frank Besant, lived in Pembroke Dock, and was a member of "the Buffs", in fact they paid for his funeral in 1936, and looked after his widow (Mary Ann) and children. They lived at 40 Military Road, Pennar, Pembroke Dock. In his obituary there is mention of him "After his return to Pembroke Dock (after the First World War) he took a great interest in British Legion work and also served for a time on the Mayor's Poor Relief Committee".

I hope that you can help with any reference to him, or the history of the R.A.O.B. in Pembroke Dock.

Many Thanks, arranquest
Whittenbury All
Perrin birmingham
Van-De-Putte Belgium
mills fairford

Offline kierenbui

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: Thursday 20 June 13 20:23 BST (UK) »
Please could you find my great grandfather: James W. GreenField of the New Holland Lodge number 3177 he was initiated on the 2nd day of august 1962