Author Topic: Charles Sandeman Porter  (Read 2980 times)

Offline Evelina

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charles Sandeman Porter
« on: Saturday 19 January 08 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Can anyone help with strange name appearing in my family. Born c1838 Charles Sandeman Porter is the first born of my Great Great Great Grandparents John Porter & Margaret Young  The next 4 children fit the usual naming patterns for the grandparents but where does 'Charles Sandeman' come from.  We wondered about a local doctor or something as it is not uncommon to name a child for the doctor but your first born that would be unusual I suspect. 

Sandeman is not an uncommon name in Perthshire but I cannot find a Charles to fit the time period.  Any help would be appreciated.  The name carried on down the family to the son, grandchildren and great grandchildren.

Thanks Evelina
Porter & Chalmers - Perthshire, Laing - West Fife, Stirrat - Glasgow, Ferguson - Glasgow & Skye, Coulter & Wilson - Northern Ireland, Kean - Glasgow & Northern Ireland. Ferrier - Perthshire. Lawton - Church Lawton, Cheshire.  McClure/McLure - Coatbridge

Offline muirton16

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Sandeman Porter
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 November 09 05:19 GMT (UK) »
Wondering if you received any replies re Charles Sandeman Porter, your post I came upon in Google was dated January 2008  I also am related  to John Porter and Margaret Young.  They were my great-great grandparents. My maiden name was Porter, born in Perth. This is my first time to post on this website. I'd like to Email you. But understand I have to post 3 times before I can do that. I will say that my information is that Charles Sandeman Porter was named after a person known to Margaret Young and for a special reason.  Can you post again and let me know if you have the information you need or are you still seeking this information. 
Perth, Scotland, Porter

Offline Evelina

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 November 09 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Muirton16, I have sent you a PM with my email address, thanks for answering this. Cheers Evelina
Porter & Chalmers - Perthshire, Laing - West Fife, Stirrat - Glasgow, Ferguson - Glasgow & Skye, Coulter & Wilson - Northern Ireland, Kean - Glasgow & Northern Ireland. Ferrier - Perthshire. Lawton - Church Lawton, Cheshire.  McClure/McLure - Coatbridge

Offline muirton16

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 November 09 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Evelina.  I have written you personally with some details of Charles Sandeman Porter born 1838.  In case anyone else reading this is interested in Porter family history in Perth, Scotland I will state:
I am a descendent of his, and like you interested in the history of the Porter family in Perth, Scotland. The farthest back I have information on is: James Porter (Weaver by trade),  he married Marian Morris (she was born Feb. 14, 1790), Not sure of James Porter's date of birth, or the year of their marriage, but they had 5 children, the first one was Euphan born Oct. 5, 1806, I have names and birth dates of the other 4 children, and details of 2 of those children's descendants, but mostly descendents of the 4th child John Porter born 1815 married to Margaret Young March 4, 1835.
If you are interested in John Porter's descendants I have some details of children etc. I can pass on.  Post if you want details of any of above.
Perth, Scotland, Porter

Offline Neil1964

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 May 19 20:44 BST (UK) »
This is such an old post, but let's see if it is still active.
I'm a Porter descended from John Porter and Margaret Young through their son Andrew Porter.
I'd be interested in know where to find any documents concerning their lives (and of their parents).
My email is (*)
Neil

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 May 19 22:59 BST (UK) »
@ Neil, anent the name Porter in Perth. For many generations the gate-keepers at the Abbey of Cupar near Perth were a family named Porter, hence the origin of the name there.

https://www.electricscotland.com/history/strathmore/chapter01.htm

Skoosh.

Offline Evelina

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 May 19 17:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Neil, I am also descended from Andrew, son of Margaret Young and John Porter then his son John, which of Andrew's sons are you descended from?  Please feel free to pm me if you wish, Regards Evelyn

Offline Neil1964

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 May 19 19:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Evelina,
I'm descended through Andrew (1848-1898) and Andrew (1871–1952) and George (1907–1977) and Adrian (1930-).
If you have any information, please send me an email to (*)

I've found quite a bit but anything would be interesting.
Neil

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Evelina

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 May 19 11:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Neil, email to follow, you have thrown me a curve ball with George, I do not have him in my tree.  Cheers Evelyn