Author Topic: Reading, Berkshire -- James ALLEN  (Read 7108 times)

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Reading, Berkshire -- James ALLEN
« Reply #27 on: Friday 25 January 08 23:43 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if I should use the Berkshire list to ask for someone to check the PRs or should I ask on this site?

Any such approach could well provide the necessary answers - as would buying the PRs on CD - the new CD of Bradfield (registers of St Andrews parish church & Tutts Clump Primitive Methodist Chapel) arrived in the Berks FHS bookshop today. Should appear on the website in the next few days. It will be available on the Berks FHS stall at the Bracknell Family History Fair this weekend.
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

Offline rayjoan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 26 January 08 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Dear Newburychap:

Thank you for the information regarding the Bradfield CD.   I may have to consider that if I find my rellies are in Bradfield.

As I live in Canada, I have to be careful what I buy as pound sterling becomes twice as many dollars for me.

Thank you again,
Joan.

Offline Marmaduke 123

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 07 February 08 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello Joan

I went to Berkshire record office yesterday, so had a look for your Tabitha Merrit/Merrick/Meyrick in Bradfield. Sorry, no luck, in fact I didn't see any baptisms of that name or similar between 1780 and 1800. No Allens either!

There was a marriage of a John Merrit/Hannah Smith on 29 Jan 1790, witnesses Sarah Street and James Gardner. The latter appears to be a "professional" witness. No baptisms to this couple in Bradfield.

Also banns were called for Richard Allen/Ann Goodenough of Englefield in Sep 1788. The marriage duly took place in Englefield (I checked) on 3 Oct 1788.

Also in Bradfield, William Allen married Elizabeth Marcham on 23 Aug 1788. Witnesses John Wigmore and the above James Gardner. No baptisms in Bradfield for this couple either.

Food for thought?

Anne
Halifax/Huddersfield area West Yorkshire
Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire, Berkshire and nearby areas.
Bilcliffe one name study all areas.

Offline rayjoan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 07 February 08 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Dear Anne:

Thank you so very much for all the trouble you took to help me in my search.

I am asea again with my Tabitha.  I have run up against the same brick wall whilst searching her baptism.  If there were a record, the record office should have it.  It’s probably time I started searching another county.  The problem is where to start.  There is only one Tabitha Marriott (spelling) on the IGI born even close to the year I seek, which is 1787  (22 Sep 1784),  Parish of Whalley, Lancs – father Henry and mother,  Margaret. 

It is so strange there were no Allens.  I shall keep in mind the record of John Merritt/Hannah Smith and Richard Allen/Ann Goodenough.   Right now, I don't have a connection to either but with more research, that may change.

The Bradfield couple, William and Elizabeth do interest me, but there again, I don't have a firm connection.

You certainly have given me food for thought.   No doubt about that!

Thank you again for all your help.  It is very much appreciated.

Best regards
Joan.

Offline Marmaduke 123

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 07 February 08 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joan

I haven't searched all the possible Berkshire parishes! There isn't a comprehensive index, you have to look at them one by one. One way to proceed would be to check the coverage on the IGI, then get someone to do more look-ups. Pretty time consuming, but eliminating parishes at least narrows the possibilities.

I've got several people missing in Berkshire too, but I'm not going to give up, even though it's quite possible they weren't baptised at all, or fell into gaps in the record.

Good luck!

Anne
Halifax/Huddersfield area West Yorkshire
Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire, Berkshire and nearby areas.
Bilcliffe one name study all areas.

Offline rayjoan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 08 February 08 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, Anne:

I'm sure you are probably right that some of them are not baptised or fell into gaps in the records.  Right now I am finding some of my Allens buried in non-consecrated grounds so it's unlikely they've been baptised.

Thank you so much for all your help.  I may never find my Tabitha and if not, I cannot say I haven't tried and I do have to say that the people on this site have been more than helpful.

I appreciate it so much and do hope some day to be able to return the favour to all those who have helped me.

I want to thank you again for going out of your way and doing the lookup for me.

Best wishes
Joan.

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 26 September 19 19:20 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have just finished compiling a tree for my friend, I gave her all the info last night and I just searched for the names to see if anyone was in Rootschat.
I noticed in your post you say...…......
In 1871, Martha and her husband, Thomas Gaskin, are living with James and Sarah.

Her family are from Thomas Gaskin and Martha Elizabeth Allen.
James Allen, his father was James and his Mother was Mary
She never mentioned Tabitha, so this will be new to her.
I will print your post and send it to her.
Maggsie