Author Topic: Birth info for Mary Jane Simpson abt 1845 in Gainsborough  (Read 2949 times)

Offline cathyvall

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birth info for Mary Jane Simpson abt 1845 in Gainsborough
« on: Saturday 19 January 08 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone find information for Mary Jane Simpson born about 1845 in Gainsborough?  Per her marriage certificate, her father was William Simpson, a farmer.

I got a birth certificate for a Mary Jane Simpson born April 12, 1845 in Gainsburgh but the father was John Simpson, a laborer.  It might be her but with a different father's name I thought I should keep looking.

Thank you.

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: Birth info for Mary Jane Simpson abt 1845 in Gainsborough
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 January 08 01:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cathyvall,

Do you definitely know that she was born in Gainsborough in 1845?  Have you found her in later census confirming her age and place of birth?  If you'd like to post more details about her it would help.

It's always worth checking with the register office or the ONS that you've got the right father before buying another certificate, they can check those details for you.

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline ricky1

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 January 08 02:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barbara

I think its her on the 1851 who is living with her grandmother at Bardney, if so place of birth is correct

H0107/ 2104
folio 415
page 16

ricky
Ricky (1954 - 2010)

Harby,Garton,Drury,Duncombe,Booth,Catton,Barker, Kirkby, Wilson. Lincolnshire, <br />Also Murkin's, Jeffery,Pettitt,Carter, from Suffolk/Cambridgeshire boarder<br />Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 January 08 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Yes I saw that one Ricky, but wasn't sure if it would be her or not, as there are a few Mary Jane Simpsons about, and the marriage cert wouldn't show place of birth just address at time of marriage.

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline ricky1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 January 08 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barbara

Was the only Mary Jane Simpson, that I could see for Gainsborough, but she could have been born in one of the villages and reg at Gainsborough

ricky
Ricky (1954 - 2010)

Harby,Garton,Drury,Duncombe,Booth,Catton,Barker, Kirkby, Wilson. Lincolnshire, <br />Also Murkin's, Jeffery,Pettitt,Carter, from Suffolk/Cambridgeshire boarder<br />Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 January 08 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Just waiting for Cathyvall to come back with any more information then

Barbara
 :)

Offline cathyvall

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 January 08 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Barbara & Ricky for your responses.  I apologize for the tardy reply from me.  The Yorkshire Board gave me information on another side of my family which opened up a whole new generation and many relatives and I've been concentrating on that for the last couple of days.

In gathering the answers to your questions and comparing the data (and if I did the analysis correctly) it appears she was probably born Feb 9-April 2, 1844, not 1845 (I just learned my lesson about fully analyzing all data and reanalyzing each time I get a new piece of information).

To answer your questions: 

The marriage certificate to Walter Grantham states married in Lincoln on Feb 9, 1869 and she was 24 years old (born after Feb 9, 1844?)

The 1871 Census taken April 2 in Liverpool (Lancaster County) states she was born in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, England and was 27 years old (born before April 2, 1844?)

The 1881 Census taken April 3 in Liverpool, Lancashire, states she was born in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, England and was 35 years old (born abt 1845 or 1846).

The 1920 U.S. Census taken Jan 12 (she was visiting her son) states she was 75 years old (born abt 1844 if born after Jan 12).

I cannot find her in the 1891 Census, though I find her husband, Walter Grantham, and her sons in Bootle (north of Liverpool) but not her.  It states Walter was a widower so that's something to figure out since she obviously was not dead.  Maybe they divorced or separated?  Walter was a Ship Steward and was mostly at sea during their marriage and their sons were 16 and 18 years old in 1891 and the 16 year old was a cook at sea so it doesn't sound like she was involved with the family in 1891.

I still cannot find a birth or christening record for her but I just might not be very good at knowing how to look.

Thanks for all your help.  I will follow up on anything you find.

Does anyone know when the 1901 England Census will be available online?

Cathy

Offline ricky1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 January 08 19:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cathy

1841 to 1901 census's are on line, through Ancestry and other sites, but they are all paying sites

ricky ;)
Ricky (1954 - 2010)

Offline ricky1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 January 08 20:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cathy

I take it you have the marriage cert, was her father alive at the time of the wedding, cos the only marriage on the Lincolnshire website says her father is William

ricky
Ricky (1954 - 2010)