Author Topic: Birth info for Mary Jane Simpson abt 1845 in Gainsborough  (Read 2946 times)

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: Birth info for Mary Jane Simpson abt 1845 in Gainsborough
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 22 January 08 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cathy,

I think you need to start again, unfortunately, from your grandfather's birth

I can see 2 suitable birth regs in Jun Qu 1875, for Walter Charles Grantham  West Derby and Walter 1875 Glanford Brigg - which is the one you got and who does it give as his father and mother on that??  Can't be the right one if he was born Manchester though.  There's one  in Dec Qu 1875 for Walter Grantham - Chorlton 8c 667 - Chorlton covers Ardwick Manchester area

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline cathyvall

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 22 January 08 21:27 GMT (UK) »
The bad news is I agree with you.

The good news is you helped me to see I was on the wrong track before I spent more money and time going down it.  Plus I'm going to be more analytical on all the lines I am tracing every time I get a new pieced of information.

I will start a new post after I find new information. 

Because I don't know the geography of England very well (I do look at a map and calculate how far one city is from another but I don't know what areas might culturally connect with one another), I think I can too easily be swayed into thinking, for example, that someone born in Liverpool might say they were born in Manchester because Manchester is the "big" city.  My husband's Italian relatives listed Genoa as the area they came from but they actually came from a smaller town 30-40 minutes south of Genoa.  I will certainly post when I have questions in the future to make sure I don't get off on another tangent.

Again, thanks so much for your help!

Cathy

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 22 January 08 23:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cathy,

Sorry we haven't been able to help you more.

There's one thing I can definitely tell you, in England we are very fond of our own hometowns, and there is no way that anyone born in Liverpool would ever say they came from Manchester - they might look close on the map but they are both big cities.  Someone from a suburb of Manchester, like Ardwick,  might say they were from Manchester, but never from Liverpool!

Happy hunting,
Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline cathyvall

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 23 January 08 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Barbara:

Actually, you've helped me a great deal and saved me a lot of additional wasted time.  Not to mention a greater appreciation of evaluation and analysis.  I am very grateful.

Thanks for the explanation about cities, etc.  I'm sure I will be posting requests as I come across possibilities to see if it appears I'm on the right track.  Local insight is invaluable.

Cathy

Offline allibaker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.n
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 23 January 08 14:08 GMT (UK) »
the 1851 with grandmother in bardney cannot be your girl as grandmother has a son called william aged 14yrs therfore mary janes father cannot be called william also
regards
alli
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.
somerset- quick,baker,stephens,atyeo,rowswell,callow,marks
durham- marshall,fairbairn
worcestershire- stephens,bishop
gloucestershire - stephens
middlesex - chesney

Offline ricky1

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 23 January 08 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi alli

I think you will find that Cathy has been following the wrong family, the 1851 that I posted was the closest we could get, until we found out that its not the family from Gainsborough that she is looking for

ricky
Ricky (1954 - 2010)

Harby,Garton,Drury,Duncombe,Booth,Catton,Barker, Kirkby, Wilson. Lincolnshire, <br />Also Murkin's, Jeffery,Pettitt,Carter, from Suffolk/Cambridgeshire boarder<br />Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk