Author Topic: Is anyone having problems accessing the Tameside Burials Database?  (Read 4274 times)

Offline AlexNoodle

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Large Family circa 1906
    • View Profile
Is anyone having problems accessing the Tameside Burials Database?
« on: Tuesday 22 January 08 00:58 GMT (UK) »
I like using the Tameside Burials and Cremations Database - I find it very helpful and I know it gets updated every so often with new data - but for the last couple of days I just keep getting an error message.  Just wondering if its me or if anyone else is having the same problem?

I have also emailed the Tameside site to ask them if they are updating it!

http://www.tameside.gov.uk/bereavement#t6

or

http://public.tameside.gov.uk/candc/default.asp
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br />Marshall: Leeds/Silkstone/Ashton/Hyde. Griffiths: Llanrhaeder ym Mochnant/Glyn Ceiriog/Ashton. Pilley: Chelmsford/Maldon. Hallas: Ashton/Stalybridge. Large: Tarvin/Manchester/Mossley. McDonald: Ireland/Whitfield/Mossley.

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Is anyone having problems accessing the Tameside Burials Database?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 January 08 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi, i have just phoned them and been told that they are working on the site . hopefully it won't be off line for long.
Migky ;)

Offline AlexNoodle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 January 08 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Oh thank you for checking with them!

Just made some exciting discoveries and wanted to see if I could find some burials to go along with it all! Too eager!!

Thanks again!

x
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br />Marshall: Leeds/Silkstone/Ashton/Hyde. Griffiths: Llanrhaeder ym Mochnant/Glyn Ceiriog/Ashton. Pilley: Chelmsford/Maldon. Hallas: Ashton/Stalybridge. Large: Tarvin/Manchester/Mossley. McDonald: Ireland/Whitfield/Mossley.

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 January 08 10:30 GMT (UK) »
It is  a great site and is FREE ! and we love anything free ;D If you have not used that site before, you will be more than happy with what infomation you can get from them, but they will also help you if you phone/email them.
Good luck.
Migky ;)

Offline AlexNoodle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 January 08 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Oh I know - its great. I've been using it for a year or so and find it fantastic!

The staff at the Tameside Local Studies are also immensely helpful. A couple of weeks ago I asked them if they could help me with three things - expecting to hear how much it would cost me to get the info - but they freely told me what they had found for me - admittedly it wasn't as much as I had hoped for but the fact that they made the effort to look for me and get back to me within three days was brilliant. Even helped me to confirm the first marriage of my Dad's great uncle thanks to the Electoral Roll for 1939!

Huge thanks to all the staff there for making it such a pleasure to deal with!

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 January 08 11:00 GMT (UK) »
It's a shame Manchester and Salford are not like Tameside. I have a lot of burials i would like to find more infomation about but as Manchester charge £3 a go for infomation it can work out a little expensive :(
Migky ;) 

Offline AlexNoodle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 January 08 11:02 GMT (UK) »
I know - I was a little dismayed when I first found the Manchester Burials database - so far I have only used it to find year of death for some of my family so I can then narrow down where to look in the indexes for their death references.

Shame really - but sites like the Tameside one are a godsend!

x

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 January 08 11:27 GMT (UK) »
And talking of web sites/links that don't work  ;D
Yours doesn't seem to work , it just says web page not found? It must be updating  ;D ;D ;D
Migky ;)

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 January 08 19:21 GMT (UK) »
It's a shame Manchester and Salford are not like Tameside. I have a lot of burials i would like to find more infomation about but as Manchester charge £3 a go for infomation it can work out a little expensive :(
Migky ;) 

Your right Migky this Manchester burial site is a total rip off - it would not be so bad if they give you the age of the person, at least that narrows down the possible person you are after.

I have started looking at the Richardson side of my family - I am looking for the death of John Richardson and have dozens buried in Philips Park & Southern, would cost a fortune to look at each one.  >:( Could even be Gorton which makes it even worse, paying money for nothing

We all know the burial records are incomplete for all cemeteries (The large majority of records and images for the three other cemeteries, Gorton, Philips Park and Southern, are currently available to search.)

Ken
Harris - Millington - Hilton - Capper - Smith - Jones