Author Topic: Joseph Sagittary Strange  (Read 4347 times)

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Sagittary Strange
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 18 March 18 16:12 GMT (UK) »

Coming now to personal names*, the earliest record I have is of one Jahannis or Jahans Sagittary, father of two daughters born in Stockholm, Sweden, 1678 and 1680.

Hi Mike
I took a look at the originals from the Swedish Books as you mentioned that you got the records from FamilySearch:

1678 - bottom left:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01lrv/

1680 - half way down right side:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01lrw/

His christian name was either Johan or Johannes.
The name Sagittar˙ has the old German "y" with an umlaut. This is not the Swedish spelling.

Ian

Offline mullinerweymann

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 18 March 18 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Ian - nothing as good as the original docs! I'm currently ploughing through additional information which may account for his presence in Sweden.
KInd regards, Mike

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 18 March 18 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Cheers Mike
If you want help with the Swedish Church Books then just let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Ian

Offline mullinerweymann

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 18 March 18 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Eureka!  - The following extract from research found today on the Internet (link below):

Frederick Sagittary Born in Heregord, Germany
Frederick Sagittary's original name was SCHUTZE (pronounced as "Shoot-zer" . Schutze in German means "archer". When he came to England, it is interesting to note that he changed the family name to Sagittary which is the astrological name Sagittarius, whose sign is represented by an archer. Could this have been the influence of his astrologer brother-in-law, Francis Anthony Olevian?
Frederick Sagittary held the post of Treasurer to Frederick V, who was the Paslgrave Elector and Palatine of the Rhine. Sagittary would seem to have been an important man and held a high position. With the exile of Frederick V to Holland, Frederick Sagittary and his family had to leave Germany and as Protestant Refugees they came and settled in England.
What exactly Frederick Sagittary did when he came to England was not recorded, but he had enough money by 1635 to build his family a house. This was the "Old House" built in the Close at Blandford. Perhaps this is where Francis Olevian died. Burial dates for Frederick Sagittary and his wife Elizabeth could not be found.
Frederick Sagittary and his wife had at least one son, Joachim Frederick Sagittary who was born in Neumarket, Germany in 1616.

See the full story, including the Sagittary Coat of Arms with Archer (1627):

http://www.tibblestone.com/familytrees/casper_olevian/casper_olevian.htm

Mike