Author Topic: Help finding a burial  (Read 2953 times)

Offline gaucho

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding a burial
« Reply #9 on: Friday 25 January 08 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Poll,
I wonder, given that you were told there was no record of the burial in a phone call and in the link I've posted where people wrote or e mailed there was a charge for a search, whether you were given wrong info? Boops enquiries may help, but I wouldn't rule out a Glasgow burial yet.

I agree about the picture, kind of 20's ascetic look.
John
McGowan, Dunlop, Watson, Kerr, Rickelton, McLachlan, Devine, Glasgow

Offline boop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 25 January 08 23:31 GMT (UK) »
In reply to gaucho I am sure that a Glasgow burial will turn up for Poll just as I am absolutely positive one will eventually turn up for my grandmother, I know for a fact she would have been buried in Glasgow. I telephoned again today to the cemeteries dept. and was told if I knew the name of the person and what cemetery they were buried in they would do two look ups otherwise the charge is £57 per look-up as they are kept very busy with people requesting look-ups. I have been in touch with cemetery depts. in Argyll before and they were very helpful and did not charge.
Boop

Offline Polldoll

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Counting my Blessings...not the years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 26 January 08 00:25 GMT (UK) »
Oh Wow £ 57.00 !!  :o :o  that pretty steep !   Mmmm ... maybe willhave to think of a plan "B"! ;D ;D
Thanks Gaucho ....  appreciate your  help and kind comments about the pic ..  If it wasnt for folk on here I wouldn't even have known when she died .. I have just checked the info Gadget gave me  I think and  the death was registered  in Dennistoun ...Does that help ? ??? ::) Oh dear boop...I think I'm hijacking your thread .... :-\ :-[
Reynolds Johnson Chapman Goodyear Wright   Demmon Maddison Jackson Bush Lingard<br />Lincolnshire Northants,Essex.   Soutar  McKenzie Stuart Watt Banff, Coupar Angus, Glen Livet, Broughty Ferry, Coatbridge, Airdrie Lanarkshire and Saskatchewan, Hamilton Wentworth, Canada. Phillips. Coyne- March Cambs, Islington,Hackney 1st Lincolnshire Regt 1914

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople

Offline Polldoll

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Counting my Blessings...not the years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 26 January 08 00:35 GMT (UK) »
I just found another thread on here saying that the burial records are held on Microfiche at the Mitchell Library
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,266171.0.html

... Looks like I will have to make a trip up there from Worcester ...  any excuse ! lol  I loved Glasgow on my first visit in October for the RC Meet !
Poll
Reynolds Johnson Chapman Goodyear Wright   Demmon Maddison Jackson Bush Lingard<br />Lincolnshire Northants,Essex.   Soutar  McKenzie Stuart Watt Banff, Coupar Angus, Glen Livet, Broughty Ferry, Coatbridge, Airdrie Lanarkshire and Saskatchewan, Hamilton Wentworth, Canada. Phillips. Coyne- March Cambs, Islington,Hackney 1st Lincolnshire Regt 1914

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople

Offline Irene Robertson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 04 January 18 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply Gaucho but my grandmother was born and brought up in Glasgow. I telephoned the Glasgow cemeteries and cremetoria dept. and they told me they could find no record of a burial but as her husband and family all come from Glasgow I am sure she must have been buried in one of the Glasgow graveyards. She gave birth to twins at her home in Bridgeton where one of the twins (a little girl) was stillborn and then two weeks later died in the Eastern District Hospital from peripheral septacemia, she was only 22. I was looking at a map (I'm not very good at map reading) of Glasgow and I thought I saw a graveyard in the next street to Soho St. Bridgeton but if she had been buried there surely the council would have had a record of it. Hello the nearest cemetery is called Janefield.. its on the Gallowgate which is off Soho st and less than a mile from the cemetery which is still there today.... the only other cememetery was an RC one at St Marys chapel in Abercrombie st not far from Soho st.. , The next one is at the bottom of the same street as is known as the Calton Cemetery but it might have been closed by then as all the graves are old.... For catholic burials you have to contact the Archdiosece in glasgow for information... St Peter or Dalbeth is a big RC cemetery a few miles away.... Ill try and help you all I can as I live in that area. although soho st is now gone and the land is covered over and a sports centre now.. .. contact me  (*)
               there was also a smaller churchyard now gone off Crownpoint road at Brook st behind Christ Church. the church too has gone but the church house still survives.. I dont know what happened to the graves though..           and one in Bridgton at Tullis st but I think burials might have stopped at the time you talk of..... john st glasgow holds records Ive been told too.. and you might be able to pay someone at the Mitchell library to look up graves for you. if you cant manage.....
Boop

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 06 January 18 14:00 GMT (UK) »
She gave birth to twins at her home in Bridgeton where one of the twins (a little girl) was stillborn and then two weeks later died in the Eastern District Hospital from peripheral septacemia, she was only 22.
I think you might find that it was puerperal septicaemia rather than peripheral, i.e. she died of complications of childbirth.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.