Author Topic: Brick Wall - Unable to find marriages  (Read 4119 times)

Offline mrk82

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Brick Wall - Unable to find marriages
« on: Monday 29 March 04 17:30 BST (UK) »
I am stuck on researching the tree of my paternal grandmother.  She is Evelyn Cox b1918 Enderby, Leicester.  Her father was Frederick Cox and mother was Elizabeth Cox (nee Marris).  Frederick died 1921 Enderby, Leicester.  Believe Elizabeth also died some time later as Evelyn was adopted but have found no death for Elizabeth (she appears in electoral rolls in Enderby until 1924ish).  Evelyn had two half sisters.  These were Jessie (b.1912) and Doris (b.1916) there was also a brother Charles (b.1914 d.1916), father of these three was Charles Bown, all born in Richard st, Leicester (mother Elizabeth Bown (nee Marris).  However unable to find marriage of Elizabeth to either Charles Bown or Frederick Cox in the national registers.  Unable to locate family in any available census's - don't know ages (other than frederick b. abt 1863 from death age) or places of birth.

Can anyone offer any guidance?

Many thanks

Marc Kitchen

Offline RootsChat

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • RootsChat Administration
    • View Profile
Re:Brick Wall - Unable to find marriages
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 March 04 18:39 BST (UK) »
Hello Marc,

Looking at the information you have already posted it would look that the years 1916-1918 were going to be the favourable years for the marriage of Frederick and Elizabeth. What years have you checked ?

Do you know the trades of Frederick Cox or Charles Bown, maybe it may be worth looking at the Trade Directories.

RootsChat
Broken Links: Please report to us of any links that no longer work, or ones that are no longer appropriate by clicking the "Report to moderator" link on the message. Thanks! Get Poster

Offline mrk82

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re:Brick Wall - Unable to find marriages
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 March 04 19:25 BST (UK) »
I have checked a large range of years roughly 1900-1925 and under all three surnames (Marris, Bown and Cox).  Have double checked.  Am 99% sure there is no marriage in the national indexes.  As regards professions Frederick was a shoe rivetter/finisher and Charles a House Painter (Journeyman) in 1912 and Corporal 2nd Battalion Leicestershire Regiment (engineer's Labourer) 1916. I found Charles listed once in the electoral rolls as a military voter and it also gives his full name as Charles Richard Bown.  Perhaps the military route might be the best option for obtaining info on Charles but not sure how to go about this.

Any advice?

Marc