Author Topic: Offer:Toowoomba QLD Headstone Photos  (Read 53555 times)

Offline CassT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Offer:Toowoomba QLD Headstone Photos
« Reply #99 on: Saturday 26 January 19 00:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve

have at look at this site

https://austcemindex.com/inscription?id=15683461#images

there is a photo which could be john's memorial

regards

Cass

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Saturday 26 January 19 00:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve,
With a bit more information, we can maybe help further in your search.

Can you give some actual names such as those of the grandparents and possibly more detail of the relationship of the cousin to your mother?
Her father's sibling's child? her mother's sibling's child?

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Saturday 26 January 19 03:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve, Cass and Sue,

Steve, I think the photo Cass has posted the link to is very likely your ancestor.  This is what the plaques in our Garden of Remembrance are like.  They are level with the turf so that the operators of the Garden can mow over them.  This means, sadly, that you don't get a lot of information from the plaques because there isn't room for much. 

I probably wouldn't get much more physical information if I went out there.  I suggest you contact the Garden of Remembrance - website  https://www.toowoombacrem.com.au  - and hit the "Contact Us" button, explain your interest in the burial and ask if they have any information they can give you.  My cousin did this fairly recently, with a burial that appeared to be his godfather (surprisingly, since the man lived in Victoria) and got some information which solved the riddle!

Let me know if I can help more.

Good luck!

Marie

PS Sadly, the Toowoomba "Chronicle" is not yet digitised on Trove, for reasons too complex to explain in a sentence or two, so you can't search for traces of him there.  His death notice (if there was one) has not yet been indexed on the Ryerson Index.

Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Saturday 26 January 19 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Am I the only person to have this trouble?  Firefox reports that the Toowoomba web site is incorrectly configured, and declines to connect to it.

I thought I had dozens of cousins buried in Toowoomba, but can find only one:
George Patterson [or Paterson] Raff, cremated in August 1989 with ashes at the Garden of Remembrance.

Marie, if your offer is still open, and if you're going there some time, would you be prepared to see whether there's a memorial plaque to him?
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Sunday 27 January 19 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Hugh, I am not sure which website you can't access, but they all work for me.  If you could access the Garden of Remembrance website, you could ask them about your ancestor yourself by clicking the "Contact Us" button.

Anyway, your ancestor does not appear to be indexed on austcemindex, for whatever reason, nor on the Ryerson Index which indexes death notices in Australian newspapers.  I will ring the G of R and ask about his ashes.  If there is indeed a plaque and the ashes haven't just been scattered, I will get out there sometime and try to take a photo.  It won't be straight away, because we are having an awful heatwave, not the kind of weather to be plodding round cemeteries.  But I will get there when the weather improves.

Marie
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Sunday 27 January 19 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Marie.

It was the one given in your original post
www.toowoomba.qld.gov.au/index.php?option=com_gravefinder&Itemid=46
that wouldn't work for me.

My heart goes out to you in that heat: I wilt at anything above 25° !
But you people need cover only a small part of the desert with solar collectors and you can generate enough electricity for the country as well as desalinating lots of sea water to produce drinking water.
Life would be fine if we didn't have politicians ...

....... Hugh
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Sunday 27 January 19 12:22 GMT (UK) »
The trouble is, Hugh, that our stupid politicians are allowing firms to put solar farms on some of our good agricultural land, which we don't have much of, rather than in the desert.  Go figure!!!

That original link probably doesn't work any more - it is years old.  Anyway, the Garden of Remembrance is a private concern, not run by the local council.  Why not go to the website www.toowoombacrem.com.au and click on the "Contact Us" button and you can ask them yourself about your ancestor.  You probably won't get an answer before Tuesday because Monday is the Australia Day public holiday.  They should be able to tell you what they have for him.  Then let me know if there is a plaque which hasn't yet been photographed for the other website, and I can go some time and find it.  It won't tell you much, I fear - probably just name and dates of birth and death.

Marie

Offline SteveACT

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Monday 28 January 19 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve

have at look at this site

https://austcemindex.com/inscription?id=15683461#images

there is a photo which could be john's memorial

regards

Cass

Hi CassT, Sue and Marie

Thats him. Thank you for the link. Much appreciated. Looks like he re-married.

Ive been digging around for more info (which I dont have here at work!!)

His parents were Agnes McIntyre and Thomas Alexander Hastie. He moved from Glasgow to Australia and ended up in Toowoomba.

He married Annie Hunter Meiklejohn Munro Madden (also from Glasgow) on 5 October 1936 and moved in to her parents house at 2 Laurel Lane, Toowoomba. Annie had a brother Joe Madden and her Dad was Daniel Madden. Her uncle was Joseph. They are listed on the virtual war memorial site:

https://vwma.org.au/explore/people/637333
https://vwma.org.au/explore/people/723357
https://vwma.org.au/explore/people/199592

I would love to get in contact with Jennifer Munro who added the details/story to these two. Gave me a lot of clues.

John enlisted at Toowoomba in 1942, survived the war and came out in 1946. Unfortunately, his wife Annie Hastie died in 1943. I reckon the reason my Gran (Johns sister), Grandad and my mum (aged 5). Came out was to help him with their children after he was released from the army and having lost his wife.

Will keep you posted.
Cheers
Steve

Offline ChefSean

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Thursday 20 February 20 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi if CassT is here or reachable I replying to enquiry bout a person buried at Bulli cemetery I found headstone Of James Joseph Cox n Bertha Lillian cox buried together . Can send u photo 😁