Author Topic: CRUIKSHANK  (Read 3600 times)

Offline Dawn

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
CRUIKSHANK
« on: Monday 29 March 04 19:28 BST (UK) »
 ???Hi my name is Dawn i am a newbie trying to trace family tree the name i am researching is CRUIKSHANK i know my father john george CRUIKSHANK was born in Durham in 1915 his sister was born in 1912 i know that 1 of the siblings was born before 1912.my grandfather was also John George CRUIKSHANK who was married to a Mary ann EARL. cannot find event of marraige for them any ideas please.Traced my gt grandfarther James CRUIKSHANK who was married to annie FERGUSON I hope someone out there can help me kind regards Dawn

Offline kevan

• RootsChat Senior
  • My beautiful grandmother - Ethel Litlechild
    • View Profile
Re:CRUIKSHANK
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 April 04 00:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Dawn,
             Your detail needs to be about ten years earlier to give you a fighting chance of finding your family, Once you can get back before 1901, you can view online the 1901 census for England for a small charge- usually about £5 minimum cost for 7 entries. It is a pretty good service, and gets you back a few years.
             I do not know if you are in England, but you can also view the BMD at many local libraries, on microfiche. This is also an excellent tool for finding births etc, and gives a year / quarter of year but does not give much more info apart from this.
             On FreeBMD, there are 23 entries for Cruikshank in Durham for 1837 onwards, but the latest is 1899, so not that useful. I find the best info to get before 1901 is family memories, old wills which often give brothers / sisters etc, and lots of luck. Have you tried a google search? This can pay dividends sometimes too.
            No permanent solutions, but I hit these brick walls all the time, and there are always ways to get round them.
Best
kevan
Kevan - Wilding, Littlechild, Beard, Cumbers, Murphy, Wickham, Lagden etc.
Public House info
http://essex1841.com &
http://pubshistory.com
http://historyofstratford.co.uk//

Offline Dawn

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re:CRUIKSHANK
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 April 04 16:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Kevan
              Thank-you for your reply to my query I know my Grandafather John George CRUIKSHANK was born in 1881 in Gateshead co. Durham his father was James CRUIKSHANK his mother Annie CRUIKSHANK {FERGUSON}. thanks for your help Dawn
By the way i live in Basildon Essex.Kind regards X

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: CRUIKSHANK
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 September 05 03:47 BST (UK) »
Hello Dawn,

Things seem a bit quite around here since April. It is possible that I am just jumping to conclusions. It may be difficult to prove the facts. There were Cruikshanks in Ireland during the time of Griffiths Valuation 1848 - 1864. They were in Counties Antrim, Armagh, Cavan, Down, Dublin and Monaghan. There was quite a movement from Ireland to the North West of England - Northumberland, Durham area. Christian names may not assist but worth a try. Among the Irish Cruikshanks there was a John and a George. The only other thing I can mention at the moment is Ferguson is a very common name in some parts of Ireland and much Ferguson history in Ireland is extremely well documented on the net.

One of my theories about genealogy is that things should be kept moving. If a slight mistake is made you have not moved yourself but the information which is no good to you is probably very useful to someone else. After the small initial burst of enthuasiasm nothing has happened for six months ? Have you discovered anything youself or put info on one of the boards which I have not noticed ?

Best Wishes, Christopher

Offline ptt1234

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: CRUIKSHANK
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 July 13 00:07 BST (UK) »
 :)   
 hI  ,
 Have been researching the cruickshanks in county monaghan and checked ansetry to see if any one else has any ideas .  Looked up some info for you as someone else has a tree on ancestry 

JOHN GEORGE CRUICKSHANK MARRIED MARY EARL APR 1910 SUNDERLAND

PARENTS
JAMES- BORN  1844 SEVEN OAKS , KENT
ANNE FERGUSON =      MARRIED APR 1870 KESWICK

GPARENTS
 WILLIAM
MARIANNE KENNARD  MARRIED FEB 1833   
 hOPE THIS GIVES YOU A START  , TRY  USING                free bmd

BABS