Author Topic: Woodlock Smith  (Read 19082 times)

Offline Britgal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Woodlock Smith
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 23 February 13 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Just an update regarding my hope to find Woodlock and his brother Barthy's gravestone in Leytonstone churchyard ... I'd planned to visit the churchyard, so got in touch with the local history group for Leytonstone to find out in advance if the evangelist Romany community that used to live there had left any 'footprints', as it were, that the local historians were aware of. They broke it to me that the churchyard received a direct hit from WW2 bombing - in fact it was the very first bomb that fell on Leytonstone in the 2nd World War. The bomb left a crater that is still visible and I'm told that very few stones survived, but they'd let me know sometime if the Smith brothers’ one(s) did (I never heard back, so I'm assuming that's a negative). I see from the internet that the churchyard is now more like a small, leafy, park with info boards dotted around not only concerning the history of local WW2 bombing, but detailing the wildlife found therein. I think the brothers with their countryside upbringing would have approved.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline tiggi

• RootsChat Veteran
  • BETSEY SMITH/ WIFE OF NELSON BUCKLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 24 February 13 10:17 GMT (UK) »
birth registry  Owen Smith 1866 Jan/Feb/Mar Forehoe Norfolk

1901  Wokingham Berkshire there is a Owen Smith b 1866
( says Berkshire but maybe because living there?)
with mix of Smiths & Gregory might be worth looking into all hawkers in caravans
TENETT BUCKLAND & PLATO BUCKLAND ( MY LINEAGE)
  Buckland Smith James Stanley Lovell Loveridge Lee Cooper Penfold/Pinfold Orchard Boswell Broadway Wells

AREAS OF INTEREST CORNWALL DEVON

USA   Worton Stanley Joles Cooper  Jeffrey Small
 all English lines of Roms who are found in America

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline king otg

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 04 May 13 11:23 BST (UK) »
A Woodlock SMITH married Counci Lettie LOVERIDGE on 13 July 1903 at Bedford St Paul

Woodlock’s father is given as Hemlock SMITH while Councie Lettie’s father is not named. She was baptised three days before the wedding at the same church. Her mother was Elizabeth but her father was not named. Councie’s dob was given as 17 June 1872. She died September Quarter 1955.

Both Woodlock and Hemlock also went by the other’s name. The father, Hemlock, was called Woodlock (56) in 1891 Kneesworth CAM [1103/97/12] but his baptism and death (March Quarter 1897, age 65) are registered under Hemlock.

The son, Woodlock, appears as Woodlock in 1891BDF and 1901BDF but his birth (June Quarter 1871) and death (December Quarter 1957) were registered under Hemlock.

Tracing Hemlock snr back a couple of generations shows that his family lived in the same region as, and had similar forenames to, the family of Woodlock, Cornelius, Barthy etc.

TL

Offline Britgal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 24 August 14 02:53 BST (UK) »
Small breakthrough in details concerning Woodlock's offspring ... found a baptism listed on Family Search under film no. 994018 for a Lamarline Smith, 18 Feb 1872 at the Primitive Methodist Church in Cambridge (I believe this to be the one that was in Fitzroy Street, demolished around 1877). Parent - i.e. singular - is shown as Woodlock Smith of Cambridge (this makes sense, as Woodlock's wife wasn't a church-goer).  Searching under the same film number reveals that three of Lamarline's cousins (children of my ggg-grandfather Bartholomew), Elias, Elijah and Mary, were also baptised at the same location in the early 1870s.

Sadly, I can find no further details concerning a Lamarline Smith.  No birth, marriage or death; no census mention  ???

Offline essexpoet

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 06 August 15 12:00 BST (UK) »
I have been reading these posts with interest.

Could someone with knowledge of Woodlock's family please have a look at the following -

1891 census Celia Pilgrim West Ham Essex - the census looks very suspect as apart from Horace I do not think (or at least cannot trace) any of the others as Pilgrims - the forenames however look to be similar to some of the Smiths.

Freereg Grace Pilgrim 1893 Barking Essex

1901 census Grace Pilgrim 1893 Bexley Kent

1911 census Celia Smith Barking (born 1857)

There seems to be no official marriage between Horace and Celia

Any comments would be appreciated

I can list if required but looking at the actual entries I believe is more helpful

Mike
Halstead ,The Hedinghams,The Maplesteads,The Belchamps,Gosfield,Gestingthorpe,Stisted,Toppesfield

Offline Britgal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 21 February 19 01:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to Mike for his list of possible sightings for Woodlock's daughter, Celia Smith - I'm in general agreement with what's he's discovered, particularly that Horace Pilgrim and Celia most likely weren't married.  The flagging up of 1911 census was the most helpful, as it highlighted Celia's return to her maiden name.  Off the back of this I found her in the 1901 census (when 2 of her young daughters were living down in Bexley in another and their waggon) - again using the surname Smith, a 45 year old "widow" who is living in Dartford Union Workhouse and whose occupation is Field Work.  POB Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk (Ancestry mistranscribed as Burg St Edmunds).

Regarding my previous post of another of Woodlock's daughters, "Lamarline" Smith ... I found a Death Index match for her, only with a different (probably better) approximation of her forename: JQ 1872: Smith  Lemertany  0  W. Ham  4a 15.

Death Cert showed Lemertany died aged 2 months from Bronchitis, uncertified. Place of death: The Flats, Little Ilford*, as was the Residence of Informant, present at the death, Justinia Smith, who 'made her mark' on 3rd April 1872.  Father shown as Woodlock Smith, Chair Caner.

*According to a lengthy article found on British History Online, "Little Ilford" is now approximately where Manor Park, London is located.  "The Flats" were / are the public open space of Wanstead Flats, adjacent to Epping Forest.