Author Topic: Syston Street. Leicester.  (Read 23415 times)

Offline Mike from Leicester

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • " THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE. SOMEWHERE"
    • View Profile
Re: Syston Street. Leicester.
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 07 February 09 01:53 GMT (UK) »
Greeting’s………..Folks.

Public Houses listed on the Trade Directory 1870.

SYSTON STREET.

On the Right Hand side walking from Belgrave Road.:~
No’ 45.
“ Plumbers Arms.”

No’. 123.  “ Willow Bridge Inn.”

……….Cobden Street. …….

Going back to wards Belgrave Road :~

This is the one closest to the Pub marked on the Map

No’. 98.
“ Bell Top Malt Rooms. “

This is marked on your 1915 Leicester (NE) 1913. Allan Godfrey  Map
As “ Malthouse “

Re:~  The name of the Road behind the cyclist ?
Going on the length of the road sign and the trees
Then is is Belgrave Road......

The trees are in " Abbey Park " by the canal.

MIKE.

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Researching :-

Isle of Wight.          Oxfordshire / Warwickshire.

Cassell.                   Powers. 
Draper.                   Hirons.
Combs.                   Botts.
Stallard.                 Hall.

Offline retroriot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 07 February 09 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Mike, you are fantastic!  ;D

Offline Leicester Mike

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 28 June 10 23:00 BST (UK) »
Hi to all posters on this thread. Found it by accident whilst researching the Culpin/ Ballard families.
Just recieved a copy of a death certificate and the address of the deceased was 199 Syston St. 1899.
Sadly my Great Great Aunts daughter died aged 9 months at that address. Many more relatives lived around the St Savours Rd area. Stanhope St, Halsead St.
Although I was raised in the Coalville area my Grandparents lived in the Freemans Cottages on Welford Rd. Whilst on leave from the RN I would work aweek or two for extra money, one job was at The Midlands Club Brewery, I'm sure it was on Syston St. It was in 1963, the street was in very poor shape, do not remember many houses left on it, lots of vacant lots.
Living in Florida now, retired. Returned to Leicester last December and like my Grandfather and earlier descendents was made a Freeman of Leicester.
Hope I did'nt bore you all to much........

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 28 June 10 23:35 BST (UK) »
Hello Mike,

Well no not bored at all,  very interesting.  And more so regarding Welford Road.. My Father who is 89 lived in Welford Road as a small boy.  His 2 up 2 down was opposite the Police Station.. and he often talks about spending time in prison as a child, (he was allowed to play in the wardens yard?!)  Not sure if they were the Freemans Cottages though.   He also served in the Royal Navy.  If you served in the Pub on or near Syston Street - its very possible you met My Great Aunt Ethel  she was a barmaid and proud of it.    Our family have never been accredited with being a 'Freeman' it still costs a fortune to live here  ??? ::) ;D ;D ;D (sorry)

xin

Offline Leicester Mike

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 29 June 10 00:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Xin
that was a quick reply, thanks. The Freemans Bldg was directly opposite University Road, on Welford Rd. Old Victorian bldg, still there, but now offices for the University.
Sold years ago and the money used to build the Freemans estate in Aylestone.
Just checked and the Midlands Club Breweries was on Syston St. Still standing as a food warehouse. Think they paid me about 11 quid a week, it was'nt really a brewery, it was a bottling plant. Dark, damp and very dreary, not a very nice place to work.
Don't remember a pub on Syston St, after a day drinking in Midlands Club Brewery (during work, no one minded ) A pub was the last thing on my mind at knocking off time.
My Great Great Aunt, who lived on Syston St (and Olson St, Stanhope St) lost all her 4 children , three under the age of1, and 1 aged 12, Her husband died a year after her oldest child died , then she immigrated to Queensland and married her brothers sister in law. A marriage of convinience I'm sure. She had no more children but her brother had 8 children, his oldest son had 10 children! I am in touch with them, they live in a small town called Wallumbilla. We all descend from the York family who came from Sibbertoft, N.Hants. Still searching for Frederick York, last residence was Leicester.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 29 June 10 05:47 BST (UK) »
oh..crikey... I am descended from the York'e' family from Shenton... Leicester.. 

another almost almost almost  link

xin

Offline Hocking

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 27 November 10 20:22 GMT (UK) »

My gr-gr aunt was born at 110 Syson St. in June 1889.  would like to know more about your search.

Offline Leicester Mike

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 28 November 10 04:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi
my research has been limited to the York and Ballard family. All the Yorks came from Sibbertoft in N,Hants and the Ballards came from Barrow upon Soar. No one famous, most were agricultural labourers and appeared to migrate to Leicester during the Industrial Revolution. The early Ballards were Freemen of Leicester, I went back to Leicester last year and was ''made free''. All the Yorks are now in Australia, I am in touch with them and hope to visit them in the near future. (All 100 of them !!! )
The other side of the family, Johnsons and Clay come from Coalville and Bream, not been able to trace many before 1840 tho. Will continue to work on it.

Offline Leicester Mike

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 28 November 10 04:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Xin
long time since last post, I eventually traced Frederick York, sadly he died aged four. Hard to believe so many children back in the 1800's (and earlier ) never reached adulthood.