Author Topic: John McCay Torrens' mother? -COMPLETED  (Read 6035 times)

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
John McCay Torrens' mother? -COMPLETED
« on: Saturday 26 January 08 23:37 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone find this birth as it is driving me crazy!

John McCay Torrens born 25 August 1895 at Moneydig according (I think) to Soldiers Died in Great War. Parents supposed to be John and Jane Torrens.

However, John Torrens m.1860 Jane Woods and someone said John McCay Torrens was actually a son of their daughter Nancy (born c1862). But I have marriage for Nancy to a John Boyd in 1888 so I don't think Nancy was his mother.
Other candidates for John McCay Torrens' mother are Nancy's sister Martha Torrens (b.1870) or Catherine Kennedy Torrens (b.1872).

Looking up 1901 census for the family (Culnaman, Co.Derry) makes it worse as there is another young child in the household- Elizabeth Torrens age 14- who on earth would she belong to?

So, could someone look for 2 births-
John McCay Torrens born 25 Aug.1895
Elizabeth Torrens born about 1887
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline OTTO

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: John McCay Torrens' mother?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 January 08 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi aghadowey,
                        Cant find anything regarding the dates mentioned.
I did find this site  which may give you some info :
www.torrens.org.uk/Genealogy/

Also Moneydig National School Registers complied by Derek Torrens has a John McKay Torrens  age 6 , a  Presbyterian from  Drumsara enroled 1/04/1875 . Also details of a lot more Torrens names see : http://www.angelfire.com/falcon/bannvalley/derek/moneydig-school-register.html

I hope this is new info to you and of some help.

Good luck OTTO

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 January 08 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Otto- thanks very much for looking for these Torrens' for me.
The John McCay Torrens of Drumsara you found is an earlier one born 1869 and not the one I'm looking for now. Am familiar with the Bann Valley site with Torrens information and had been through it all again last night before posting this request (lots of mistakes there and much information seems to be missing). Thanks again

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 January 08 00:37 GMT (UK) »
please excuse my ignorance, but where is moneydig.

regards mary.
doolin?
quigley- hasson. stewart. lynch. doherty gallagher-derry
mclaughlin-  brennan .moville co. donegal
mctaggart
monaghan

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 January 08 00:42 GMT (UK) »
Moneydig is in Desertoghill Parish between Garvagh and Kilrea, Co. Londonderry.

Offline dinny

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John McCay Torrens (the younger)
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 April 13 05:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Aghadowey - on On Saturday 26 January 08 you entered a completed message re:  a John McCay Torrens.  There were two John McCay Torrens. I have had enquiries  about the older John McCay Torrens, who it is believed died in NZ.   I can find no record of his death on NZBDM.  He must have died elsewhere.

The man you seek was also in NZ prior to the outbreak of WW1.  At the time he was living with his uncle, William Kennedy Torrens and his wife Annie Mary (nee Woods) Torrens in Canterbury NZ.  John McCay Torrens enlisted in NZ and was KIA in France.  His death is registered on NZBDM. 

NZBDM has the habit of recording all KIA’s after both World Wars in 1918 and 1946 respectively regardless of the year in which they actually died.    Had John McCay Torrens been alive in 1918, he would have been aged approx. 23 years.   

Your thoughts relating to Catherine Kennedy Torrens may be correct based on the possibility of two siblings having the same middle name (Kennedy) - this lady may have been William Kennedy Torrens’ sister.   

You will find William Kennedy Torrens and his family as Residents of a house 11 in Mullan (Kilrea, Londonderry)  in the 1911 Irish Census.   They all went to New Zealand.

Annie Mary (Woods) Torrens was my great aunt, the sister of my grandfather, John Dempsey Woods - both children of Thomas Woods and Maria (nee Bolton) Woods.   Thomas, Maria and all their children (11) came out to NZ.

I would be pleased to have your comments.    Regards - Dinny.   

Merged with existing thread to keep all information on one post

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John McCay Torrens (the younger)
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 April 13 07:26 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   The Commonwealth War Graves Commission records John McCay Torrens death as 1 Sept 1918.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John McCay Torrens' mother? -COMPLETED
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 11 April 13 09:27 BST (UK) »
John McKay Torrens (known as Jack) was born 26 Mar.1869 Culnaman, son of Robert Torrens (a farmer of Culnaman & Drumsaragh) and Jane Johnston. He married (7 Oct.1896 Desertoghill Church of Ireland) Hester Mary Church (known as Hessie) who was born 8 Feb.1872.
Jack went to New Zealand and Hessie went to Philadelphia. One son (not sure if Jack was his father)- William A. Church or Torrens born c1896.
Probate Wellington (NZ) High Court- 1919 Torrens (McCay), John McKay) might be him.