Author Topic: Kerrys from Smalley  (Read 15589 times)

Offline NottmKerry

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kerrys from Smalley
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 18 July 12 23:15 BST (UK) »
Regarding the Rev Kerrys ref to "The first Kerry being an officer from Wales" i too wondered about the Thomas Kerry high sherif of Montgomeryshire however i have traced the line and it stays in shropshire well into the 1720's by which time the Kerrys where well established in Smalley/West Hallam etc.
I belive it refers to Thomas Kerry Clark to the Privy seal to Queen Elizabeth & James 1. He was from the Binweston lines that takes on the Royal tribes of Wales

http://histfam.familysearch.org/getperson.php?personID=I147448&tree=Welsh

How did he get to smalley? well using the continuation of names..Thomas & John and Thomas Clark to the Privy seal had dealings with Sacheverell Lord Shrewsbury and bought land of him in order for the Lord to pay debts.It doesnt say where this land was but as the Sacheverell were a norman family from Morley/Smalley...
And the Binweston Thomas Kerry line just disappers from the Shropshire Family Records so they must have moved as no death records existed. Still working on a firm connection but will post when i do confirm.
Martin Kerry Nottm

Offline Norma DJ

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 20 January 21 02:31 GMT (UK) »
My connection is through Thomas Rogers (1721 and Mary Kerry and their son Samuel (1760) who was my 3x gt grandfather.

Regards Sylvia

Hello Sylvia, I know it is many years since you posted this. Just in case you're still checking this site, I am also a 3X great granddaughter of Samuel and Mary (Pickering) Rodgers. I would love to compare notes...

Offline Emmajbo

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 09 March 24 15:52 GMT (UK) »
This is so exciting to find. Just discovered the Kerry’s as part of my family tree. The furthest I can go back is Thomas Kerry (the sheriff). I’d read somewhere else that they’re thought to be descended from Elystan Glodrydd of the welsh royal tribe. Is that correct? Any other interesting info about the Kerry’s?