Author Topic: Any DWANES OR DUANES out there?  (Read 746 times)

Offline vicky19

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Any DWANES OR DUANES out there?
« on: Sunday 27 January 08 15:10 GMT (UK) »
My GGreat Grandfather was Deglan or Dagrin Dwane born abt 1848. According to his attestation papers (he joined the South Wales Borderers) he was born in the Townland of Templemichael and then Cork which was crossed out and Waterford put instead. So I am trying to trace any Dwanes or Duanes from Cork who might have this man in their family. From his marriage certificate his father was Thomas Dwane but this is all the information I have.

Can anyone help, many thanks Vicky.
Lillywhite, Dwane, Hatchett, Curtis, Giuliani, Payne, Meen, Rockliff, Leopold, Winney, True, Groombridge, Middleton, Agombar, Scanlon, Grice, Vezey, Hindley, Cannell, Welch

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline crabbya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Any DWANES OR DUANES out there?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 January 08 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I was wondering......if they substituted the wrong county?   There are quite a few Duanes in Galway?

Crabby
Downing/Hurley/Lane/Quinlan  Cork
Hopkins/Devaney/McWalter/Qualter/Lyons  Galway
Fallon/Donnellan Mayo
Mulcahey/Mulcahy Roscommon
Reilly/Riley Sligo

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline vicky19

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Any DWANES OR DUANES out there?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 January 08 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Crabby

I never thought of looking at Galway, to be honest I have struggled to find any Dwane/Duanes at all. The Attestation papers definitely said Templemichael as his place of birth - I will have to Google and see if there is such a place in Galway. Sadly on the only census I can find him in England in 1891 it just says from Ireland. I have asked my aunts and uncles but all they knew was that he was from Southern Ireland, one aunt thought he was maybe from Kerry but I have not found any links there either.

Thanks Vicky.
Lillywhite, Dwane, Hatchett, Curtis, Giuliani, Payne, Meen, Rockliff, Leopold, Winney, True, Groombridge, Middleton, Agombar, Scanlon, Grice, Vezey, Hindley, Cannell, Welch