Author Topic: Catherine Harley... Birth Record?  (Read 4727 times)

Offline *sparkle*

• I has chosen not to receive notifications of new replies
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Catherine Harley... Birth Record?
« on: Monday 28 January 08 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Catherine was my g. grandmother, she was born in Kells/New Galloway Kirkcudbrightshire in 1884. All this has come from my Auntie/Dad. She lived in Carronbridge, Thornhill and was buried in Thornhill.

Now this is a bit of a sore point in my family, my Uncle was very close to her and was instructed to burn her birth cert etc when she died, which he did. So I've decided not to ask him as I think it would cause him too much upset, even though frustratingly he knows the answer.

Catherine married George Ireland (widower) in 1904 after working as his housekeeper.

On their marriage certificate it states John Hunter as her presumed father and literally '? Harley, Outdoor worker(deceased)', as her mother.

From census records, she was brought up by her Grandparents, William Harley and Margaret Bryce.

William Harley married Margaret Bryce 27.10.1849. Kells, Kirkcudbrightshire

Their children were:
Catherine McKay Harley 06.06.1852
Anne Harley b.30.08.1854
Mary Harley b. 10.10.1856
William Harley b. 09.07.1859, d. 05.11.1908
Margaret Harley b. 28.04.1862, d.18.02.1886
Richard Harley 12.02.1865

So, I am sure I am looking for a record of illegitimate birth. Can anyone help? Have tried scotlands people and IGI with no luck. I cant prove anything but everyone except Margaret married, plus she died young, so she is the likely candidate to be Catherine's Mum.

Or do I just leave it since I'm 100% sure about her grandparents, and just know nothing about Catherine's birth or parentage.....

Tx

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Harley... Birth Record?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 January 08 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sparkle

Catherine's birth cert. is where it should be from your info on SP (I think!). Have you looked at this entry:

1883   HARLEY   CATHARINE   F   KELLS   /KIRKCUDBRIGHT   868/00 0014

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline *sparkle*

• I has chosen not to receive notifications of new replies
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 January 08 15:26 GMT (UK) »
 ;D

Well, there you go.... Its been sat under my nose all this time, you have no idea how many times I have searched for her. In fact she was the very first person I started looking for as my Dad was so fond of her.

It was the Catharine that threw me!!!!!!

Margaret IS her mother  ;D

Hate to think what happened to them both between Margaret working in Domestic service, finding she was pregnant, having Catherine, then Margaret died less than three years later after a three year illness..... (cant make out the text)  :(

Anyway, you've made my day and helped fill in the blank. I'm off to check the other blanks now.....

Thank you!!!

Tx

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 January 08 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Really pleased for you that it was the right one  :)  From my own sad experience with SP, Catherine is one of those names where wild cards come in useful! I normally search the name as *ath*r*ne  ;D (picks up on Katherine, Cathrine etc).

I am so glad you posted Catherine's mother's name. I could see Ann and Mary in 1881 but not Margaret.

:'( Sad story isn't it.

Monica  :)

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk