Author Topic: Jacobite prisoners from 1745  (Read 131011 times)

Offline magic cat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jacobite prisoners from 1745
« Reply #171 on: Sunday 07 February 21 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for sharing the details about the flags.  A flag and sword allegedly remained in the keep of one of the Mitchell family from Sunderland for many years.
Also it is correct that the prisoners drew lots and a Mitchell unluckily drew the lot.  This is recorded in the National Archives.

Offline young1451

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: Monday 03 May 21 16:45 BST (UK) »
Hi All, including Joy. The  8th  Chief of Glengarry Scotland, Donald McDonell, married daughter  of  9th  Chief of Clan Ranald  [a  MacDonald], and  their sons headed the McDonell  lines [that  we in Glengarry  Ontario Canada, still refer  to as]  Leek,  Collachie, Aberchalder, Ardnabie,  Scotus, Lundie, etc.,  McDonell lines. These were  Catholic [many  were  Officers  at Culloden], and emigrated enmass to  NY, in 1773 on Ship  "Pearl", later [after  Rev  War]  resettled Glengarry Ontario.  This  Donald McDonell 8th Chief Glengarry, had daughter Catherine McDonell who married Duncan Grant 1630 1730,  who was 1st  GRANT to hold  Wadset of  Duldraeggan Glenmoriston  [he was Protestant]  and  when this  Duncan   died  in  1730, the Courts declared  his great-grandson  Aeneas/  Angus Grant 1702   1779 to be his Heir at Law.  This Aeneas/ Angus  Grant  was married to Hannah Grant  1717 1801,  mentioned   in Joy's earlier  Post. I believe Aeneas/ Angus'  brother was John  Roy Grant b. abt. 1704,  was Transported to Caribbean  and probably did  not  return,  but  fathered Joy's  Alexander Grant [and Donald  Grant Sr.  Lot  13 SBR]. This  makes  these McDonell and Grant cousins  who  intermarried often.  Cheers J.                               

Offline Kmcw1

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: Monday 10 May 21 18:09 BST (UK) »
Hi, I’ve just started tracing my ancestors and I’ve found a few with surname Urquhart from Poolewe and Gairloch. I wondered if they might have been at the battle of Culloden, any info would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards, k