Author Topic: Jacobite prisoners from 1745  (Read 130613 times)

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
Jacobite prisoners from 1745
« on: Monday 28 January 08 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Don't know if this will help anyone but I have just picked up a list of the 303 prisoners who were held in the powder magazines at Tilbury Fort in Essex between 1746 and 1750 after being taken prisoner following the uprising in '45. The prisoners were held at Inverness prior to being taken, by seven ships, to London and then onwards to Tilbury.
The list contains the prisoners name and what happened to them. The following is an example of how the information (albeit sparse) is laid out, the number at the front of the name is the prisoners number.
881 David Fettes  Transported 31-3-1747
very few details are given for most of those listed although the entry for James Davidson (prisoners number 652) has ...."Released aged 14 reported to be a very wicked boy.."....... nothing is given in the way of where these people came from in Scotland.
As there are over 300 names listed it would difficult to list them all here but set out below is the surnames that are contained in the list.

Allardyce (1)  Armstrong (1) Bain         (1) 
Beaton    (1)  Bisset       (2)  Boyer      (1)
Brander   (1)  Calder      (1)  Cameron (eight)
Chisholm (2)  Coutts      (1)  Cummins (1)
Cumming (1)  Davidson  (1)  Dease     (1)
Dingwall  (1)  Dodds       (1)  Doig        (1) 
Drummond (2) Durrar     (1)  Egor        (1)
Farquharson (2) Ferguson (2) Ferrier  (1)
Ferris       (1)  Fettes       (1) Finlayson (2)
Fraser      (12) Fudde      (1) Geddes    (2)
Gibbons   (1)  Gordon     (3)  Gowen    (1)
Grant       (45) Hearshall (1)  Hewatt    (1)
Hood       (1)   Hurst        (1)  Innes      (1)
Jack         (1)  Jacque       (1) Johnston (1)
Keith       (1)  Kerr           (1) Kessack   (1)
Leitch      (1) Martin         (1) Mason     (1)
Mather    (1) Mathewson (1) Mavor     (1)
M'Alpin     (1) M'Bain         (2) M'Donald  (28)
M'Dougal  (2) M'Farquhar (1) M'Gillivray (1)
M'Ginnis   (1) M'Glucken   (1) M'Intosh   (3)
M'Intyre   (1) M'Ivor         (1) Mackie      (1)
Mackay    (1) M'Kay          (1) M'Kenzie  (34)
M'Kinnon  (3) M'Lachlan    (1) M'Lea      (2)
M'Lean     (7) M'Leare      (1) M'Lennan (3)
M'Leod     (13) M'Millan    (1) M'Mudie    (1)
M'Kneal    (1)  M'Pherson (1) M'Query   (1)
M'Quarrie  (1) M'Quary     (1) M'Rae      (1)
M'Ranald   (1) M'Rory       (1) M'Swane  (1)
M'Sweene (1) M'Vane      (1) M'Vannan (1)
Mill            (1) Mitchell      (4) Monroe    (1)
Monro       (1) Morgon      (1) Morgan    (1)
Nicholl       (1) Nisbett      (1) Nowlan    (1)
Parker       (1) Piggot       (1) Pinkerton (1)
Potter        (1) Ranald      (1) Ried         (1)
Reynoldson (1) Robertson (1) Rose      (1)
Ross           (4) Scot          (1) Simpson  (1)
Smart         (1) Smith        (1) Stephen  (1)
Stewart      (2) Stuart       (2) Strachan (1)
Sutherland  (3) Taylor      (2) Tudde      (1)
Urquhart     (2) Wilson     (1) Wishart    (1)
Whithie       (1) Young      (2)

If anyone is interested in any of the above surnames I will copy and forward on the details given, either by PM or on the main board.

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline crystalight

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Happy Hunting
    • View Profile
Re: Jacobite prisoners from 1745
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 January 08 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you old rowley,

I read this with interest because I have just found out my Ancestors (not in the list) fought at Culloden

The information I have is: "In 1745 Theophilus Hearsey (a Cumberland Squire) took up arms for Prince Charles Edward Stuart and led his family, tenants and servants into the field.
Theophilus and his son were both present at Culloden and consequently attainted and their estates confiscated. They fled the country and joined exiled court on the continent."   

It appears that when proceedings against the Jacobites were relaxed they returned to England and became London Merchants and made their fortune (wish it had lasted  :( ).

What I find really strange is they went on to become generations of high ranking military officers in the British Army based in India  ???

Crystal  :D
Oakes and Rance - Cheshire
Wright, Teesdale, MacWhirter -Sussex
Wright, Wooldridge and Little - Surrey and London
Grimes - Middlesex and Surrey
Cardy - Surrey
Broyd, Hanch and Lazell - Essex
Bradshawe - Hampshire, London and East Indies
Hearsey - India (British Army), Cumberland and London

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Windsor87

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rose of Ballivat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 January 08 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Quote from: crystalight link=topic=282134.msg1655280#msg1655280

What I find really strange is they went on to become generations of high ranking military officers in the British Army based in India  ???

The Jacobite wars had very little to do with Britishness. More to do with Catholicism and protestantism. More Scots fought against Charles Edward Stuart than for him. There were a few 'patriot' Jacobites who fought for independence.

It is funny how money can convert people's principles. Your ancestors would have been more than willing to get a commission in the British Army to serve in India so that they could go out and make their fortune. All of a sudden, being British didn't seem so bad.
Strachan of Strichen/New Pitsligo - Connon of Turriff - Watt of Pennan - Noble of Broadsea -  Garden of Peterhead - Bryson of Ecclefechan

Offline crystalight

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Happy Hunting
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 January 08 17:29 GMT (UK) »
 ;D Thanks Windsor,

I must say I very little about the Jacobite wars,  ??? the funny thing is, I never really got interested in history at school because we always seemed to go back to the Tudors and Stuarts (interesting the first time but you get the feeling ther is more to history ::) ::) so when the time came to make choices, I chose Geography instead  :o :o :o I must be making up for it now.

I will be reading up on it in the near future and what you say does makes sense  :) from what I know of these ancestors, the battles and generally being part of an Army was most important, I just saw it as a change of sides  ???

Oakes and Rance - Cheshire
Wright, Teesdale, MacWhirter -Sussex
Wright, Wooldridge and Little - Surrey and London
Grimes - Middlesex and Surrey
Cardy - Surrey
Broyd, Hanch and Lazell - Essex
Bradshawe - Hampshire, London and East Indies
Hearsey - India (British Army), Cumberland and London

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Windsor87

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rose of Ballivat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 January 08 23:10 GMT (UK) »
As someone who is constantly being labelled a traitor and turncoat by Scottish nationalists, I need to know one or two things about Scottish history. ;)

Anyway, I'm chuffed tonight. One of my ancestors - William Lascelles - has go a mention in a new book (C. Whatley, The Scots and the Union, p46). I'll have to try and slip that in at uni for extra credit.  ;)
Strachan of Strichen/New Pitsligo - Connon of Turriff - Watt of Pennan - Noble of Broadsea -  Garden of Peterhead - Bryson of Ecclefechan

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 March 08 11:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi OR  :)

Very kind of you to offer!

Would you mind, please, letting me know the other details pertaining to the Mackie, Mackay and M'Kay surnames, if it's not too much trouble?
My McKays were still in Inverness at this time, have no idea whether or not they were involved in any of the goings on, but you never know do you?

Many thanks!

Prue  :)

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 March 08 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Prue,

The following are the only one's that I have on "my" list. The number at the begining of the entry was the prisioners number, followed by name and what became of them in the way of sentance.

2087 Peter    M'Kay    Transported
2088 Robert  Mackie  Transported  20th March 1747
2089 Robert  M'Kay    Transported  20th March 1747
2090 Robert  MacKay  Discharged
2092 Robert  M'kay     Transported
2094 Thomas M'Kay    Transported 20th March 1747
2096 William  M'Kay     Died at Tibury Fort Essex

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline greenvalley

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 March 08 15:22 GMT (UK) »
As someone who is constantly being labelled a traitor and turncoat by Scottish nationalists, I need to know one or two things about Scottish history.

Hi Windsor,

I know we don't do politics on this site, but you have mentioned this a few times. I am a member of the SNP and quite a number of our members, councillors and members of the Scottish Parliament are English. Some like the royal family :), some don't. >:(

So I feel slightly uncomfortable if you think that all Scottish nationalists share the views of the people who have called you a turncoat. I think Scottish and Britsh history is too intriate to have simplistic views on what motivated people to side with Prince Charlie, King Billy or whoever.

Anyway, just thought I just mention this, no harm or insult meant.  ;D ;D

Greenvalley
ANDERSON: Moray & Jamaica
ELDER: Stirlingshire, Perthshire & Glasgow
WILSON: Glenisla, Alyth & Dundee
GRANT & ATKINSON:Northumberland
HARRIS: Dron and Glasgow
MATSON: Glasgow and Belfast
OLIVER, HARDY & GIBSON: Ireland, Antrim Belfast
TODD: England and Jamaica
McGRIGOR, McILCHONNEL: Perthshire

Offline amcquaid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 19 July 08 12:19 BST (UK) »
Good day...
I just came across your entry, and am interested in finding out the details for prisoner `Beaton`.

Thank you!
Alex McQuaid
Oakville Ontario Canada
Beaton (Bethune, Beatoun, Balfour), McQuaid, Barnes, Kirvell, Strachan, Spencer,