Author Topic: Here's a curly one! "completed- thank you"  (Read 4652 times)

Offline nahbois

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Here's a curly one! "completed- thank you"
« on: Tuesday 29 January 08 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Ok here goes.  My g.g.grandfather was Henry Gauron - Born in Bloomsbury London and bap. St Pancras possibly Old Church. 1817.   His father was John Francis Nicholas Joseph Gauron/Gawron/Gawan.
John married Elizabeth Overee in 1783 Old Church St.Pancras.  She must have died without children.
John married a second time in 1796 to Mary Hoar. John and Mary had Elizabeth 1800,Mary,1802, Frederick Matthew 1804, Augusta 1805, Helen 1807,Jesse 1815 and Henry 1817 all bap. Old Church, St. Pancras.  John was an Engraver in Oxford St in the late 1700's, early 1800's.  He was known as both John or Joseph.   How would I find out the father of John Francis Nicholas Joseph Gauron?   Any ideas please people.  I would imagine John may have been born around 1750 ish to 1760's.  Oh and Jacob was his uncle. I have checked out the names on FamilySearch and none of them are our John Francis Nicholas Joseph.
Again, many thanks for any assistance.
Webb - Wiltshire/Kent
Harris/Prince - Wiltshire
Taylor - Islington/Essex
Bull - Shoreditch/ Essex
Anderson - Ireland/Buckinghamshire
Gauron - London/France

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Here's a curly one!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 January 08 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Lots of London parish records aren't on the IGI.

The surnames - and the use of multiple first names - seems French to me. Maybe check with the Huguenot society?

I found an interesting apprenticeship record:
1784: Gauron Lambert s Joseph, Clerkenwell, Mdx, modeller to Thomas Davies, 28 May 1784, Fishmongers' Company

This may be Lambert Bonaventur Gauron who married in 1791 in Westminster. Possibly a brother or cousin?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nahbois

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 January 08 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.  I have a Lambert and I am this moment trying to figure out where he comes into things. I also felt he could be a cousin/brother.  What I found was a Nicholas Joseph Francois Gauron came over from France as an apprentice to his Uncle Jacob - silversmith.  That was about 1750.  He then went back to France returning around 1770 to work as a modeller with the Chelsea porcelain factory and stayed until it closed.  Dont know where he went from there and the middle names always get juggled.
Now my ggg grandfather, Henry was a son of John Francis Nicholas Joseph Gauron and was born in Bloomsbury 1817which is four miles from Chelsa.  Due to the similarity of the middle names, I thought there could be a connection.  BUT I cant find it!!!!

I do not have the info you just found so thank you so much.
Webb - Wiltshire/Kent
Taylor - Islington/Essex
Bull - Shoreditch/ Essex
Gauron - London/France

Offline nahbois

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 January 08 22:32 GMT (UK) »
I forgot to mention that my Henry referred to his father as Joseph.  So he sounds like a brother to Lambert.  John Francis Nicholas Joseph Gauron was married twice and I think the first wife died. That would fit nicely. Thank you.
Webb - Wiltshire/Kent
Taylor - Islington/Essex
Bull - Shoreditch/ Essex
Gauron - London/France

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 January 08 10:22 GMT (UK) »
I found a reference at JSTOR (you may not be able to access this) under 'Dawson: The Development of Repertoire in Mennecy Porcelain Sculpture, circa 1738-65.'

This talks about Nicholas Gauron, recorded at the Mennecy factory Jul 2 1753, and in the parish registers of Saint Cloud on Oct 3, 1756, he is recorded as:
'sculpteur du roi en l'academie royalle, demt. a Paris, fg St. Honore, psse de la Madeline.'

Reference is made to another article "Nicholas Gauron - a Virtuoso Modeler at Tournai and Chelsea" by T. Clifford, in "The Rococo in England: A Symposium" (ed: Charles Hind, London, 1986 - pages 161 to 174).  A copy of this book is held at the British Library - they do have a copying service, don't know that it's particularly cheap, though... :(

You might have some luck looking at Saint Cloud, Seine-et-Oise, parish records? (via the LDS).
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nahbois

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 February 08 01:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much.   I will most definitely will check out the areas you mentioned.  I did find the article on  JSTOR but I did not know about the rest.  Again, much thanks for you help. Sue
Webb - Wiltshire/Kent
Taylor - Islington/Essex
Bull - Shoreditch/ Essex
Gauron - London/France

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 February 08 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Holden 1811 directory gives a Lambert Guaron Merlin's Cave Spa Fields. It seems this was a Public House.

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nahbois

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 February 08 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Jennifer.  I haven't come across that info before so thank you very much.  Another lead. Lambert is definitely related!!!! There appears to have been two - father and son.  Sue
Webb - Wiltshire/Kent
Taylor - Islington/Essex
Bull - Shoreditch/ Essex
Gauron - London/France

Offline Clarsh607

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Here's a curly one! "completed- thank you"
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 19 November 20 10:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I'm studying the belgian manufactory of Liège, created by Nicolas-François Gauron (sometimes written Gavron) and François Lefébure in 1767.
This Gauron is born in 1736 in Paris. He worked at the Mennecy and Bourg-la-Rein soft-paste porcelain manufactories in 1753.
In 1758 he was chief-modeller in François Peterinck soft-paste manufactoy in Tournai and marries Caroline Guéry. He had a son in 1759 named Nic(h)olas (I guess the son also had his father's firstnames). He produced with Jacques Lefebvre the group Apotheose of Charles d'Oultremont (ruler of Liège).
He left Tournai for Bruxelles then Weesp (near A'dam) and finally fonded the manufactory in Liège in 1767. He left it in 1770 and went to England, he worked at William Duesbury's Chelsea-Derby manufactory. I have no further infos after that of his life or son.
Hope it'll help you.

For more details :
Breuer (Jacques), Artistes étrangers de passage au pays de Liège à la fin du XVIIIe siècle, BIAL, Tome XLIX, 1924, p. 111-179 [online]
PHOLIEN F., La Céramique au Pays de Liège, AUG. Bernard, Liège, 1906 [Book]
GADEYNE, E., Les Faïenceries liégeoises du XVIIIe siècle, Liège, 1955 [Book]
+
W.H. TAPP, The Gaurons. Father and son sculptors of Tournai and Chelsea, in Apollo, mars 1942 ; vol. 35, n° 207 (I have the reference but not the article)

P.S. The books aren't available online. Some archives of Liege manufactory (letter, register, notarial deeds) are at the end of Gadeyne's book.
P.S.S. If you have more infos about Gauron father, it could interest me.
P.S.S.S. Sorry about my English, I'm a French speaker