Author Topic: Alexander CROMBIE  (Read 33289 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander CROMBIE
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 29 January 08 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Just copy and paste the URL for this post onto your new post ....or  ;) just copy and paste this  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,282246.new/boardseen.html#new

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DS

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 29 January 08 17:27 GMT (UK) »

1903 entry on find my past, it just shows me Alexander Crombie departing from liverpool

Hi

The Alexander Crombie aged 31 who sailed from Liverpool on 13/08/1903 on the "Medic" was listed as a single male with the occupation of Engineer.

DS ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bowes

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 29 January 08 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much.
Maybe he was mistakenly listed as single, as the Alexander Crombie I am looking for was an Engineer.  He came to South Africa to work in the Mines.  He was a Civil Engineer and eventually became a mine owner according to his death notice.
There was also a Crombie, Female aged 27 that also came across in 1903, but departed from Southampton.  Not sure if that was perhaps his wife following?  Maybe neither one of these are the correct ones.

THanks for helping out

Regards
Jackie

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 29 January 08 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Jackie

Travelling alongside the female Crombie to SA in 1903 is a 2yr old which could fit for their daughter Mary...except child shows as male. Always worthwhile looking at if nothing else to discount it.

Monica

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 29 January 08 18:31 GMT (UK) »
If anyone else is wondering what a "writer to the signet" is -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Writers_to_the_Signet

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DS

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 29 January 08 18:39 GMT (UK) »

Hi Monica 8)

The two passengers who sailed from Southampton on 06/08/1903 aboard the "Walmer Castle" were listed as Mrs Crombie 27 and Master Crombie 2 and it says that they were heading for Natal.

DS ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 29 January 08 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jackie and DS

I thought I'd come back and have one more go on the 1901 Census to try and find them and guess what I did  ;D  apart from Alexander... Mabel and daughter were at her parents  ::). She has been indexed as Coombe and daughter Mary Elizabeth as Cookson ~ what chance have we sometimes to find people! I'll leave the transcription as is. I've looked at the original and Mabel is certainly down as Crombie, daughter Mary Elizabeth has however been incorrectly entered on the census form. The family is living in Elmstead Essex:

Osmond Cookson    60, Clergyman in the Church of England, b. Powerstock, Dorset
Mary Ann Cookson 51, b. Stoke Newington, Middlesex*
Mabel Mary Coombe 26, b Avonley, Yorkshire
Beatrice Elizabeth Cookson 24, b. Avonley, Yorkshire
Adelaide Elizabeth Cookson 22, daughter in law, b. Australia
Muriel Clare Cookson 19, b. Holbeck, Yorkshire
Mary Elizabeth Cookson    1, granddaughter, b. Elmstead, Essex
George Ernest Dela Monttaiger 18, visitor, student, b. Australia
May Rose Upchurch , servant   
Stanley Butcher 27, servant   
Edith Fox 23, servant   
Jane Rozelle Smith 46, servant   
Marion Roberts    16, servant   

* mother Mary Ann may have had a disability. There are some initials entered in the last column for Disabilities - don't know what it means.

Monica  :)

Added: I'll post this info on the other post (Census Look-up requests) to save anyone spending the time looking for it further- with a window open for Alexander!.

Offline bowes

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 31 January 08 08:40 GMT (UK) »

Now, Alexander Snr. looks to have died just after this census. From Will & Testaments on SP:

Crombie   Alexander   01/01/1841   Revd, Doctor of Laws, residing at York Terrace in parish of Saint Marylebone in county of Middlesex and of Phesdo in county of Kincardine   Inventory; List of Arrears of Rents; General Disposition   Stonehaven Sheriff Court   SC5/41/8 ~ there are more entries relating to his estate

Also from SP Wills & Testaments, there are numerous entries for son Alexander estate following his death, such as:

Crombie   Alexander   05/10/1877   esq., of Thornton, county of Kincardine, d. 22/07/1877 at Cheltenham, testate       Stonehaven Sheriff Court   SC5/41/25

Monica

Hi Monica,
Just a bit of confusion on my part.  The way I look at it, it is as follows:

(a) Alexander Crombie acquires Thornton Castle in 1804.
He is succeeded by his cousin (b) Alexander Crombie, (Rev and Dr) who was born 1801 and died 1841, and married to Mary Harriet Richardson.
Then the castle is succeeded by the grandson of Alexander Crombie (a), being Alexander Crombie (c), but whose parents were Alexander Crombie (b) and Mary Harriet Richardson.

How does this work?  How can Alexander Crombie (c) be grandson of Alexander Crombie (a), if he is the son of Alexander Crombie (b) who is the cousin of Alexander Crombie (a)?????

Confused enough??
Help

Regards
Jackie

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 31 January 08 13:49 GMT (UK) »
You are going to have to dig in to figure out the full extended line.  From www.geo.ed.ac.uk/scotgaz/features/featurehistory4642.html we had:

Alex. Crombie, a successful and much-esteemed advocate and land agent in Aberdeen, acquired the property in 1804. He was succeeded by his cousin, the Rev. Alex. Crombie, LL.D., F.R.S. (1760-1840), the author of several well-known works; and his grandson, Alex. Crombie, Esq., W. S. (b. 1836; suc. 1877), holds 2300 acres in the shire, valued at £2632 per annum.—Ord. Sur., sh. 57, 1868. 

Me thinks too many Alexander Crombies  ;D

Without verifying anything but from what I have seen to date:

(2) Rev. Alex. Crombie, LL.D., F.R.S. (1760-1840)...................cousin of Alex. Crombie (1), advocate and land agent in Aberdeen (who originally purchased Thornton Castle in 1804)
(3) Alexander Crombie son of Rev. A Crombie married Mary Harriet Richardson and they had
(4) Alexander Crombie b. 1836 who married Elizabeth Marshall in 1870, this Alexander was grandson to Rev. Alex. Crombie, LL.D., F.R.S. (1760-1840).
Alexander Crombie b. 1871, son of Alex C. and Elizabeth Marshall, went on to marry Mabel Cookson in 1899.

(X) Order of succession of Thornton Castle

So Thornton Castle looks to have been bought by the AC from Aberdeen in 1804. On his death without heirs it was transferred to his cousin the Rev AC. On his death passed to his son AC (husband of Mary Richardson) and then in 1877, AC son of AC and Mary Richardson inherited. :o 8) ??? ::)...or something like that!  Thornton Castle looks to have been sold back to the Thornton family in 1893 from what I read.

Some entries from the Wills & Testaments section on SP. I have just picked up on some, there are more, but just trying to get you  rough time line:

Aberdeen AC who when he died passed over Thorton Castle to his cousin the Rev AC:
Crombie   Alexander   01/05/1833   esquire of Phesdo, advocate in Aberdeen   T. Misc. Papers incl. Elizabeth Duthie 01/05/1833 SC1/37/10/pp481-508   Aberdeen Sheriff Court Inventories   SC1/36/10

The cousin, the Rev AC who when he died passed on Thornton Castle to his son AC (husband of Mary Richardson):
Crombie   Alexander   01/01/1841   Revd, Doctor of Laws, residing at York Terrace in parish of Saint Marylebone in county of Middlesex and of Phesdo in county of Kincardine   Inventory; List of Arrears of Rents; General Disposition   Stonehaven Sheriff
Court

AC, husband of Mary Richardson, son of the Rev AC, who when he died passed on TC to his son AC (born 1836):
Crombie   Alexander   05/10/1877   esq., of Thornton, county of Kincardine, d. 22/07/1877 at Cheltenham, testate       Stonehaven Sheriff Court

AC born 1836 looks to have sold Thornton Castle circa 1893.

There are lots of refs to Thornton Castle on google. Try "thornton castle" +crombie (as written) for more specific entries.

I just found this for example which bring some personality and character to the names:

Lord Gardenston's heir, Francis Garden of Troup, sold the estate to the first of four lairds to bear the name Alexander Crombie, a name which is held in honour for the skilful restoration of the 16th century castle by the first Crombie laird and the addition of the garden front by the third.

With this Alexander Crombie's son and his heir the fourth Alexander Crombie of Thornton, known as 'Joe' to his friends, and Joe's younger brother Francis rests the credit of introducing to Scotland the game of Rugby football which they had leart at Durham School in 1852-53 six years after the codification of the laws of the game as played at Rugby.

It was the Crombies who created the cricket park - still so called though long since farmed - between the Black Burn and the East Drive and built the fine pavilion which, used initially for country house cricket, has been the scene of many family festivities and tenantry parties, accommodated families of evacuees during the second World War and more recently, a children's play group.

On this ground in August 1882 Colonel H.W. Renny-Tailyour of Newmanwalls, a Scot who played cricket for Kent and the Gentlemen of England, scored 140 runs in a record second wicket partnership of 370.

Source: www.clanstrachan.com/heritage/castles/thornton_castle.htm

Regards.

Monica  :)