Author Topic: BOSWELL BABY  (Read 8645 times)

Offline social-butterflies

• RootsChat Senior
  • essex
    • View Profile
BOSWELL BABY
« on: Wednesday 30 January 08 18:16 GMT (UK) »
i have found details of a john wesley boswell who was buried at st laurence church eastwood, essex 03/04/1905, 17 days old. does not state who are the parents or what he died from.
does anyone have any details and does he belong in your ancestoral line. there is no grave marker for him as far as i am aware :(

amanda
buckley
webb
boswell (shadrack line)
pearse
lee
smith (inc epping forest)
heron
bibby

Offline CitizenSmith

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: BOSWELL BABY
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 January 08 15:24 GMT (UK) »
This is the youngest son of Trafalgar Boswell and his wife Athaliah (born Whatnell). He is the baby brother of Silvester Gordon Boswell, the father of Gordon who owns the Romany Museum at Spalding.

According to The Book of Boswell (Silvester Gordon's autobiography of 1973), John Wesley Boswell was born 14 March 1905 at Southend and died 31 March 1905. He was named after an evangelist named John Wesley Baker, pictured in the same book with the Boswells. Together they ran a religious mission following their return to East Anglia from North West England, where they were members of the Gypsy community in Liverpool and Blackpool.

Sharon
Smith - East Anglia & Lancashire
Taylor - East Anglia
Draper
Hope
Shaw
Gray
Boswell
Lovell
Robinson
Chilcott
All Blackpool Gypsies
"Royal Epping Forest Gypsies": ball-giving group
"Borrow's Gypsies": the people that the novelist George Borrow (1803-1881) knew and wrote about

Offline AshkeJ

• RootsChat Extra
  • My mother's father - Ellis Howard Adams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 February 08 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I'm looking into the family of a friend of my parents. She is descended from Trafalgar Boswell. I think he was her great-grandfather and was known as Algar.

So far I have found that Trafalgar was the son of Silvester Boswell and Florence Chilcott, and I think Silvester was the son of Tyso, son of Shadrack.

I would be interested in learning more about Trafalgar's family with Athaliah if possible!! I would presume that the Boswell book would be of particular interest to my parentss friend?

Many thanks!

Dominic
Holborow/Hurcombe/Halliday - Glos/Wilts
Palmer/Fisher - Collingbournes, Wiltshire
Murray - West Lulworth, Dorset

Offline CitizenSmith

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 February 08 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dominic

Yes - they'd find the book very useful.

It was published by Gollancz in hardback in 1970 and by Penquin Books in paperback soon after. It's long out of print - but you can find second-hand copies of it (possibly quite pricey!) - or try the inter-library loan scheme.

Algar Boswell is the grandfather of Gordon Boswell of the Gordon Boswell Romany Museum at Spalding, Lincs. I'm sure he'd be pleased to meet your friend.

I have quite a lot of information on these Boswells, plus some photos, as they travelled with my Smiths and were part of the Blackpool Gypsy community with them in the late 19th century. Happy to share what I have if you'd like to send me a personal message.

Sharon

Smith - East Anglia & Lancashire
Taylor - East Anglia
Draper
Hope
Shaw
Gray
Boswell
Lovell
Robinson
Chilcott
All Blackpool Gypsies
"Royal Epping Forest Gypsies": ball-giving group
"Borrow's Gypsies": the people that the novelist George Borrow (1803-1881) knew and wrote about

• RootsChat Senior
  • essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 March 08 23:43 GMT (UK) »
hello all,
i thought that algar was short for trafalgar.... correct me if im wrong please someone.
amanda
buckley
webb
boswell (shadrack line)
pearse
lee
heron
bibby

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 March 08 00:22 GMT (UK) »
Youre not wrong. Algar is indeed short for Trafalgar.

Shadrack Boswell had several wives, amongst them Elizabeth Buckley, Cinderella Wood, and Mesilia.

His son Silvester "Wester" Boswell married Florence Chilcott, and their son
Trafagar married Athaliah Whatnell.

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 March 08 00:24 GMT (UK) »
Sorry !!

Shadrack had Taiso/Tisso/Tyso/Tiso Boswell who married Sophia Heron/Hearn/Herring, and later Hannah Williamson Smith.

It was Taiso and Sophia who had Silvester Boswell.

Offline AshkeJ

• RootsChat Extra
  • My mother's father - Ellis Howard Adams
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 March 08 08:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Do any of you guys have any more information about any of Trafalgar and Athaliah's children and their families? I feel like I have the 2 ends of the piece of string, but need to find the middle!

Any help would be much appreciated. I have found the family in the 1891 census, but would like to carry the lines down, if possible!

Many thanks,

Dominic
Holborow/Hurcombe/Halliday - Glos/Wilts
Palmer/Fisher - Collingbournes, Wiltshire
Murray - West Lulworth, Dorset

• RootsChat Senior
  • essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 March 08 10:38 GMT (UK) »
thanks everyone for your'e replies, thats given me lots of info and i feel better knowing that this baby had family and belongs.... :)
hi dominic i will have a look through my papers and see if anything turns up, only just starting with the boswells myself.
amanda

buckley
webb
boswell (shadrack line)
pearse
lee
heron
bibby