Author Topic: Hogsflesh and Stringer in Kent  (Read 7477 times)

Offline underwing

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Hogsflesh and Stringer in Kent
« on: Tuesday 30 March 04 15:39 BST (UK) »
Looking for any information about the Hogsflesh and Stringer families in Kent.

Thomas Hogsflesh married Jane Stringer of Stringer Hall.

Any information would be appreciated

Offline RootsChat

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • RootsChat Administration
    • View Profile
Re:Hogsflesh and Stringer in Kent
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 April 04 21:02 BST (UK) »
Dear Underwing,

What a fantastic name...Hogsflesh !!

To help, have you any rough idea of dates  ???

RootsChat ;D
Broken Links: Please report to us of any links that no longer work, or ones that are no longer appropriate by clicking the "Report to moderator" link on the message. Thanks! Get Poster

Offline underwing

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re:Hogsflesh and Stringer in Kent
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 May 04 12:34 BST (UK) »
 :D My Thomas Hogsflesh dates back to mid 1700s.

His son, my ancestor, Charles Richard Hogsflesh was born in Kent 1787.  Charles Richard, "formerly a reputable tradesman" (Newspaper report for Satuday 13th August) was transported to Australia in 1814 for stealing linen-drapery goods.  His trial was held at Surrey Assizes on 11th August 1814 and he was convicted with Daniel McDonald, Joseph Myer and Jacob Myer

Offline janerich

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hogsflesh and Stringer in Kent
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 February 06 16:48 GMT (UK) »
I know your message is nearly 2 years old but as a new member to Rootschat this jumped out at me.  Mymaiden name was Jane Stringer!  I have a lot of ancestors from Kent - I still live in Kent.  Where on earth is Stringer Hall - I've not heard of it before.  Can we see if we have any connections?
Jane
Stringer, Foad, Darby, Lake, Austen, Scrivens - Kent
Richardson, Summers, Walker,-Yorkshire
Kershaw, Landy, Dixon, Fisher  - Lancashire & Kent

Offline underwing

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 February 06 05:12 GMT (UK) »
I know your message is nearly 2 years old but as a new member to Rootschat this jumped out at me.  Mymaiden name was Jane Stringer!  I have a lot of ancestors from Kent - I still live in Kent.  Where on earth is Stringer Hall - I've not heard of it before.  Can we see if we have any connections?
Jane

Hi Jane

I was really interested to hear from you.  Since posting these messages I have discovered some of my Stringer History which begins with Jane Stringer marrying Thomas Hogsflesh.  She was born in 1756 at Shoreham, Kent.  Her parents were Thomas Stringer b. ca 1725 and Jane Steer b. ca1730.   I was sent some interesting cemetery records and information which if you are interested in, I will send to you.

As to Stringer Hall, I have no idea but I did come across a Stringer Estate in some reference on the net about a place called Ulstead, Kent, I think.  (It was a while ago.)   Stringer Hall may have been part of the estate back in time. 

My only family reference to Stringer Hall is from some records relating to a John Hogsflesh who descended from Thomas Hogsflesh and Jane Stringer through their son Charles Richard (a convict charged with fraud and transported to Australia for 7 years) and grandson Thomas Charles. 

It is stated on John's military records as his place of birth which is a bit of a mystery to us as his family were in Australia at the time. 

We have not been able to find a record of his birth here so we have to wonder if his mother returned to England when she was pregnant and had her son there before returning to Australia.  I doubt that Charles Hogsflesh would have returned to England given the circumstances of his departure.

Alternately, it is a bit of 'snobbery' which wouldn't surprise me as the family were very embarrassed by the name Hogsflesh and a number of the wider family have changed their names to Howard, Hogarth, Hodges and Oxley, that we know about.  All very interesting. They may have been ashamed by their convict heritage as well but Charles did very well for himself in Australia once he had served his time, accumulating land and cattle and died as a school teacher at a ripe old age.

I will look forward to hearing from you again.  You may contact me direct if you like on email address removed by moderator - please use the secure Rootschat personal message system - thankyou
Warm regards

Clarrie.

Offline janerich

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 February 06 18:47 GMT (UK) »
 :)
Hi Clarrie,
Great to hear back from you.
I'm afraid I don't go back as far as you do with my direct Stringer line. I have only reached 1847.
Most of my Stringers that I know about were born/lived in small villages around Canterbury - I expect you know where that is.  Shoreham in Kent is just North of Sevenoaks getting close to the Medway towns and London.  I know my grandfather did live in that area for a while before returning to East Kent and his wife and family all come from North kent and London.
I would love to share details with you even though I can see no obvious link at the moment.  Stringer is not a common name! However the moderator removed your e-mail address as this is apparently not allowed on these chat boards.  I'm new to this medium so I don't know how we can communicate. I could write to you if postal addresses are allowed!

Thanks for taking the time to reply
Jane

Offline underwing

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 February 06 13:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jane

I hadn't realised that we were not able to submit our personal email address on this site so I'm sorry about that.

Still, I can cut and paste what i have and send it too you this way.  It might be of value to others as well.

I live in Australia so I don't know a great deal about England or Kent but I am gradually learning where the various counties are and there certainly are a lot of them.

My Hogsflesh/Stringer connection is in Kent and it would seem that the Hogsflesh were scattered all around the greater London area and surrounding counties and I'm sure there must have been a common ancestor at some time as we now have Hogsflesh connections in Surrey as well.

As to my Stringer Ancestors, I have a Thomas Steer b.ca.1680, married 03/07/1707 at Shoreham, Kent, Engand to Jane Fielder b. ca.1685.

Their children are:
  Mary Steer b. 1708
****Jane Steer b. 1710; baptised 07/05/1710; died 26/02/1769
Elizabeth Steer b.1712
  John Steer b.1714
  Ann Steer b.1717
  Sara Steer b. 1720
  Thomas Steer b. 1723
  William Steer b.1726

Jane Steer married Thomas Stringer (b. 1714 Shoreham, Kent England) 17/01/1744 at Shoreham, Kent England.  Thomas died 10/11/1777 at Shoreham, Kent England.

Their children were:
*Elizabeth Stringer b.1745; d.28/09/1754
Sarah Stringer b. 1747
*Ann Stringer b. 1748; d. 07/09/1754
*Brett Stringer b. 1751; d. 11/09/1754
Thomas Stringer b. 1754; d.19/05/1777
****Jane Stringer b. 1756;d. between 1778 and 1789
William Stringer baptised 04/12/1758
Grace Stringer b. 1761
Mary Stringer baptised 13/02/1764

Jane Stringer married Thomas Hogsflesh from whom I am descended.

You will notice that three of the above Stringer children died around the same time and one wonders what happened.  It must have been a very tragic time for the family.

I gained a lot of this information from the IGI and the document that I've cut and pasted in part, as follows: 

Shoreham churchyard M.I.'sKENT ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY  -- RESEARCH
        (Webmaster)   Studying and sharing Kent's past      Homepage
30.      To the memory of the children of Thomas and Jane Stringer of this
Parish. They departed in September 1754. Ann dyed the 7th day aged 6, Brett dyed
the 11th day aged 3, Elizabeth dyed the 28th day aged 9. "Sleep, sleep sweet
babes."

31.      Jane wife of Thomas Stringer juner [sic] of this Parish who died
February 26 1769 aged 47.

32.      Thomas Stringer late of this Parish died June 19 1777 aged 23. Near
also lyeth the body of Mary Stringer who died June 25 1779 aged 55.

33.      Thomas Stringer late of this Parish died November 10 1777
aged 63.

I hope this of some help to you.  Who knows back in time we might be connected.  I haven't done a great deal in tracing back the Stringer line but now I am curious so I might just get started again in that direction.

Warm regards

Clarrie

Offline janerich

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 February 06 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for sharing all of that.  I'll let you have some of my Stringer details in a few days when I've got a bit more time to type them up.  They're all in a Gedcom at the moment.

Jane

Offline underwing

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 February 06 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jane

That would be great.