Author Topic: Lookup for James Pennycook  (Read 6851 times)

Offline Alanex

• RootsChat Extra
  • James-Scotland
    • View Profile
Lookup for James Pennycook
« on: Saturday 02 February 08 00:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
Can anyone spare a few ScotlandsPeople credits and lookup a Statutory Death Record for:
Surname: Pennycook
Firstname: James
Died: 1890
Born: 1816
County: Midlothian
Distrcit: Leith

I'm looking for a James who married Isabella Stewart on 14 May 1837 in Glencorse, Midlothian.
In particular I'm looking for information about the parents of James.

His surname on the Marriage entry was spelt Pennycuick, but a free search on SP shows 1 record which I narrowed down to the details above, I'm hoping it's him.
Normally wouldn't ask anyone to waste credits on me, but I've spent my February limit (in January!). Want to stick to my limits or I'll end up taking out a loan for research on SP!  :'(

Any help appreciated,
Thanks

Alan
Scotland: Bell, Bond, Doig, Hogg, Houston, Howson, James, Melville, Murdoch, Paton, Pennycook, Smillie/Smellie, Strain, White
England: James
Wales: James
Ireland: Hogg, Murdoch
USA: Melville, White
Australia: Houston, Howson
Canada: Houston, Pennycook

Offline Anni B

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup for James Pennycook
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 February 08 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Alan

1890 Death in the District of South Leith in the County of Edinburgh
692/02 0227

James PENNYCOOK married to Isabella Stewart
Ploughman (it looks like)
Aged 74
Died 9th March 1890 at Craigentinny Drive South Leith
Father: James PENNYCOOK Drystane Dyker (deceased)
Mother: Unknown (deceased)
Cause of death: General senile decay
Informant: ? PENNYCOOK Grandson (present)

Anni

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 February 08 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Allan and Anni

From his Liberton birth place, this might be a possibility from IGI:

JAMES PENNYCOOK  Christening:  19 MAY 1808  Liberton, Midlothian, Scotland
Parents: JAMES PENNYCOOK and AGNES HILL

Regards.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Alanex

• RootsChat Extra
  • James-Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 February 08 00:34 GMT (UK) »
I hope someday I can return the favour Anni, thank you very much!

Monica, where did the Liberton birth come from? I'm in doubt about that one, his christening was 8 years too early with a 1816 birth  ;)
I appreciate the help tho, I'll keep that one for future reference, thanks!

Either of you any ideas on how to continue this? It's harder to narrow it down without James Jnrs birthplace or his mothers name, don't even have an 1821 census or anything.

Thanks again to you both.
Kind regards,
Alan.
Scotland: Bell, Bond, Doig, Hogg, Houston, Howson, James, Melville, Murdoch, Paton, Pennycook, Smillie/Smellie, Strain, White

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 February 08 00:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello Alan

As a matter of interest - a 'submitted' entry on the IGI (www.familysearch.org) - has born to a James 'Pennycuick' and Helen Brown - 4 children, James John Thomas and Helen.  (not neccesarily in that order).  James born on 10 Dec 1795.

All born at 'Liberton Kirk', Midlothian.

As another matter of interest the IGI between 1790 and 1830 shows marriages for a James Pennycuick in 'Lasswade', Midlothian in 1829 and 1833.  This is besides 'your' James marriage

As you say it's going to be difficult to try and tie down his exact parentage.  However - what did 'your' James name his children?

Regards,   Steve :O)

I'd suggest using the IGI  to trawl through the other entries for James Pennycook and Pennycock in Midlothian 20 to 30 years either side of 1810 to try and build up and idea of possibilities.  There are not too many - only 4 or so  :O)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 February 08 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Allan

I got the Liberton birth place from James's census entries. From the 1861 cencus:

James Pennycook 46, ploughman, b. Liberton Edinburgh
Isabella Pennycook 56, b. Eddleston, Peebles
Alexander Pennycook 21
Archibald Pennycook 17
Robert Pennycook 15
William Pennycook 11
James Pennycook 4, grandson, b. Liberton

Address: Farm Of Stables With Rooms Adjoining, Inveresk, Midlothian

Have I got the right couple? What birth place do you have for your James from the censuses? As for ages, I'm always open minded  ;D

Regards.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 February 08 19:05 GMT (UK) »
Alan

Going back to potential parents for your James, and hopefully firming up that they may indeed be the right couple. The first son James c. 1808 looks to probably have died given that they had a second son James christened in 1814, fitting closes in birth year to the James you have.  Having gone through the censuses for James and Isabella, he was fairly consistent with his age over the years.  The children showing to James Pennycook and Agnes Hill:

1. JAMES PENNYCOOK  Christening: 19 MAY 1808 Liberton, Midlothian, Scotland
2. ISABELLA PENNYCOOK Christening: 20 AUG 1809 Liberton, Midlothian, Scotland
3. ALEXANDER PENNYCOOK  Christening: 28 NOV 1810 Liberton, Midlothian, Scotland
4. AGNES PENNYCOOK Christening: 18 NOV 1812 Liberton, Midlothian, Scotland
5. JAMES PENNYCOOKChristening: 15 MAY 1814 Liberton, Midlothian, Scotland

A marriage extract from the OPRs:

AGNES HILL  Marriages:Spouse: JAMES PENNYCOCK    
Marriage:  19 JUN 1807  Liberton, Midlothian, Scotland

Regards.

Monica

Offline ScottishBairn92

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 21:52 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
Can anyone spare a few ScotlandsPeople credits and lookup a Statutory Death Record for:
Surname: Pennycook
Firstname: James
Died: 1890
Born: 1816
County: Midlothian
Distrcit: Leith

I'm looking for a James who married Isabella Stewart on 14 May 1837 in Glencorse, Midlothian.
In particular I'm looking for information about the parents of James.

His surname on the Marriage entry was spelt Pennycuick, but a free search on SP shows 1 record which I narrowed down to the details above, I'm hoping it's him.
Normally wouldn't ask anyone to waste credits on me, but I've spent my February limit (in January!). Want to stick to my limits or I'll end up taking out a loan for research on SP!  :'(

Any help appreciated,
Thanks

Alan

I am extremely late to this thread! However,  I found it after searching my own family records and we are looking for the same family!!! So hello very distant cousin! :D Did you have any luck? Taking a complete punt here because I have no idea if you even still come on this site!

I'm just back from the records office having spent the day there and I traced the tree back to James Pennycook and Isabella Stewart. Did they marry as late as 1837 because on the 1841 census I found a son, John, who was aged six so he must've been born around 1835?  Apologies if some of this has already been discussed but I would love to find out more about anything anyone has been able to find about them!

I descend from their son James who married Marrion Carruthers and through their daughter Jemima. I'm not sure if it was this thread or another thread that her name was mentioned but she is my great-great grandmother.

I really hope to hear from you although I know this thread is so old now! Would love to discuss the connections further!

Maggie

Offline Alanex

• RootsChat Extra
  • James-Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 21 June 18 11:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Maggie,

I descend from Janet Pennycook, Jemima’s sister. Janet wasn’t married when she had my Gr-Gr-Grandfather John Pennycook, although she married a George Brown 20+ years after the birth of John and clearly he wasn’t the father.

It’s good to finally hear from a Pennycook relative. I haven’t done much on the Pennycook side of my tree, mostly because I got stuck with James and Isabella and also I was unable to find other relatives in order to expand the tree outwards!

I’m finding with other parts of my tree that gravestones are providing a lot of missing information. Unfortunately I live in Motherwell, so it’s not as easy to pop over to Edinburgh and wander around the cemeteries there for a couple of hours as it is to visit my local ones where most of my other relatives are. I still plan to visit the records office too someday, just haven’t been working on the tree as much recently due to work, etc.

Alan