Author Topic: Riordans From Cork to Bristol  (Read 4486 times)

Offline nad1611

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Riordans From Cork to Bristol
« on: Saturday 02 February 08 19:51 GMT (UK) »
In the late 1800's my great grandfather and his elder brother came form Cork to Bristol .It may have been Ballyvira?  Their names were Daniel c 1853 and Tomothy c1851 respectively. I believe they may have come with their sister Kathleen, who kept house for them. The surname was Riordan. I believe the parents back in Ireland wer Catherine and Daniel.The name was also linked to the Sweeney's or McSweeney's who I think may have been cousins.They apparently lived on a farm and were Irish Catholics. They were part of a large family. The family were obviously very determined and the family back in Ireland sent dairy produce from Ireland which was shipped to Bristol and sold from a warehouse which I believe was in the Redcliffe Hill are of Bristol. My Great grandfather and his brother became very well off. They had a well known Wholesale Business in Bristol for some years.
  Daniel married Elizabeth Brewer and they went onto have 8 children, one of whom Timothy was killed in the Great War.
 I have the family in the Census over 1881/91 and 1901, but I just wanted to know if anyone knows of the family in Ireland. Most of Daniels descendants lived in and around Bristol and still do.
  Thanks Clare

Offline Maellen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Riordans From Cork to Bristol
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 July 11 18:42 BST (UK) »
I just happened to see your post today while researching my great great grandmother"s family. Her name was Hanora McSweeney Collins. Her father was John McSweeney. The McSweeney family had a farm in Kippagh in the Boherbue Cork area.  They had relatives named Riordan. My great grandmother Mary Collins O'Callaghan was born on the farm in Kippagh which her parents eventually operated the farm along with her mother's uncle, Edmond McSweeney.   The McSweeney family was a large contingent. The family were Catholics.  Does any of this sound familiar?
                                                           Maellen

Offline sezuk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 August 11 17:36 BST (UK) »
Does the name Ellen Riordan ring a bell? Believed to be from the same area of Cork. She married a James Scully, but the family lived in London.

Offline nad1611

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 March 12 21:08 GMT (UK) »
 Wow I can't believe it's been 4 years since originally posting but I have some additional info, which might help. If you don't mind reading the original posting and then this one it will make more sense.

Catherine and Daniel who I mentioned before, Daniel c 1810. had about 8/9 children.
 Other place names of interest now are Coolea and Derreenalig. Daniel Riordan I think had a house in Coolea and land and houses across River Sullane in Derreenaling. The village of Derreenaling was to the north of the land and farm was really closer to Coolea. Or it's possible the family moved between these places.

Does anyone know if Dirrinallane is another name for Derreenaling.

One of Daniel and Catherine sons called William c.1841 married a Johanna Ryan in 1873, they also had 9/10 children, in 1901 they can be found in Coolea and eventually in 1911 they can be found with a shop in Ballymakeery which was on the main road from Macroom to Killarney. He sold Butter etc as did the family in Bristol.  In the Census 1911 he is described as a Butter Merchant. Some of his sons Timothy and Daniel were sent to Bristol for their schooling.

Well hopefully with that additional info someone might have some connections.Thanks for ny insights.

Offline Marygoold

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 November 19 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi.My name is Mary .My grandmother was Johanna Riordan from Coolea /Ballyvourney.Her mother was Ryan.Her family were butter merchants some went to Bristol as butter merchants. Have some family history and plenty of family contacts as I'm originally from that area. Would love to here from cousins .

Offline Maellen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 January 20 20:09 GMT (UK) »
I happened to revisit this post.  My McSweeneys did have relatives by  the name Riordan. They also had relatives by the name of Ryan. The Ryan I am referring to was a John Ryan. He emigrated to New York City. He and his wife had a daughter Margaret aka Marjorie who was born iin Ireland. When the McSweeneys' descendants emigrated to New York in the early 1900s, some resided with Marjorie.. Is this the same family mentioned in the previous posts?           
                                                               Maellen                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline foleyke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 April 20 12:26 BST (UK) »
An HOnoria Sweeny/Swiney/McSweeny married my great grandfather Patrick Foley (haven't found the marriage record yet)  and had connections with Boherbue and the townlands of Kippagh, Bawn More and Castlekevin.

Offline Maellen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 17:45 BST (UK) »
My great great grandmother was Honnoria McSwiny(McSweeney Collins ) Her father was John McSwiny(McSweeney. John and his brothers Daniel and Edmond were tithe holders of land at  Kippagh Boherboy. , JohnMcSweeney and the Collins family had a farm at Kippagh They had relatives by the name Foley.
                                        Maellen

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 18:26 BST (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.