Author Topic: IGI source records  (Read 5580 times)

Offline mark73

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
IGI source records
« on: Tuesday 30 March 04 19:25 BST (UK) »
Hi

I've found quite alot of results for my family history on the International Genealogical Index(IGI) via www.familysearch.org can anyone give me an idea of what extra information I might find out if I look at the source records?

thanks
Mark
Searching on..
Summers Clements Figgins Morgan Lill(e)y Wick(e)s Quick Bonny Coombs Ridge

Offline Sylviaann

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Barette
    • View Profile
Re:IGI source records
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 March 04 12:14 BST (UK) »
Mark73

The IGI is not always accurate and you should ALWAYS check source records.

The IGI is a wonderful help but should be viewed as a guide only.  It has been transcribed by people who often did not know about Britain and British names and as with anything that has been indexed can have mistakes.  Many of the records were copied on to paper forms and then typed onto the computer.  Ancestral file records cannot be trusted.

Parish registers may not give you extra information although some later records may give you an address.  If you order a film of the Parish Register and search through it you could find siblings, deaths and even parents marriages.

Hope this helps

Sylviaann

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Norfolk: Gooch, Loveday, Lake, Betts
Suffolk: Gooch, Crosby, Turner
Hampshire: Laws, Burrows
Kent: Beer
Jersey: Barette, de Gruchy
East London: Middleton, Gower, O'Farrell, Smith, Weston

Offline sallielizabeth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 April 04 01:25 BST (UK) »
Ordering the IGI source records, especially for beginners like me, is a great buzz! There is something about being able to view the 'real' record of a marriage etc.  The marriage records and baptism records have helped me fill out quite a few more details about my London Family. The records I have looked at are from the mid 1800s, in London..I am waiting for the next lot to arrive somewhat impatiently! I guess it is the luck of the draw, but I find the source records give me encouragement to continue to chip away at some of those brickwalls!  Good Luck!  Sallie
ADDISON, CLAXTON, TOURNER, ROBERTS,WHITE, PEARCE, WILLIAMS MAC LEAN

Offline mark73

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 April 04 06:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you both.

How do I go about obtaining the source records?
Will I get sent a film,fiche or photocopy?

thanks
Mark
Searching on..
Summers Clements Figgins Morgan Lill(e)y Wick(e)s Quick Bonny Coombs Ridge

Offline sallielizabeth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 April 04 07:37 BST (UK) »
Here we go!  You need to find the nearest Latter Day Saints Library, to do this go the the Family Search Web site and follow the prompts.   If you have already found the person(s) you are looking for bring up their IGI record on Family Search,  scroll down to the bottom of the record form where it says Source Call Number click on that and it will tell you which source the information came from. You can order the appropriate films through the LDS Library for a modest cost.  But you can  pinpoint the film(s) you need, that is you don't have to order the whole lot of films listed for example...

Say you are looking as I am for signs of the TOURNER family at St Bride Fleet Street between 1814 and 1835., I know that my gg grandmother and her sister were married from St Bride in 1830 and 1837 respectively.
I went to the Family Search site, clicked on Library and then followed the instructions. I got a list of all the records LDS have in regard to St Bride  and  was able to choose the films I needed.  From my gg grandmother's sister's marriage record I obtained her address, her husband's address, his occupation, the names of the witnesses and names and occupations of the fathers of the bride and groom.

I hope this helps and that you have an LDS Library close handy.   Cheers
ADDISON, CLAXTON, TOURNER, ROBERTS,WHITE, PEARCE, WILLIAMS MAC LEAN

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 April 04 10:36 BST (UK) »
The "extras" you may be lucky in finding are the gems that help you to be certain you have the right John Smith.

As an example, in Annan Dumfries-shire the OPRs include the mother (inc maiden name) and father as does the IGI but they generally include the occupation of the father and the address of the family, at least the area they live if it is outside the town.  In some cases it also lists the grandparents, this has been especially useful in my Caruthers line as there are obviously distinct Carruthers and Caruthers families.

Honestly you can't beat squinting deciphering the old writing, it's wonderful.

;D
Pam
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!