Author Topic: Jones' of Bontuchel/Ruthin  (Read 25656 times)

Offline fridayjan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jones' of Bontuchel/Ruthin
« on: Sunday 03 February 08 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi,  I wonder if anyone can help me?  This is a bit of a long story, but I'm stuck on my Jones' around 1828.

My gt gt grandfather was Edward Jones, b1828 in Llanferrog or Ruthin (depending on which census you look at).  He married Ann Jones (b1827 in Caenarvon) in Liverpool in 1848.  Edward's father on his marriage cert is John Jones, a Blacksmith.

I have a scribbled piece of paper where my mum (b1927)  has written some notes after talking to an aunt of hers (b1892), and the name Bontuchel is mentioned, together with "Wesleyan church".  By coincidence, while researching my family tree I've made contact with a 3rd cousin, who was told a tale that whenever one of their Jones relatives got married they went on honeymoon with the whole family to ..... Bontuchel!!  We think they went to stay with cousins.

This note also says "Gt grandfather Jones, Rhewl, buried in Ruthin, Florida Street".

We're planning a trip over to Ruthin to the records office at some point, but I just wondered if anyone could point us in a particular direction in our searching.  We would be looking for information on Edward's siblings and parents, although as yet I don't know what his mother's name was.  Any help/advice would be gratefully received!!

Thanks,

Janet
Skelly (Liverpool/Ayrshire/St Vincent)
Jones (Liverpool/Ruthin)
Mortimer (Wigan/Harrogate)
Dean (Leeds)
Wilmshurst (Liverpool/Deal)
Sides (Oswestry/Liverpool)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jones' of Bontuchel/Ruthin
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 February 08 18:42 GMT (UK) »
A warm welcome to Rootschat and Denbighshire,  Janet  :)

One of the places that you will have to visit is the Denbighshire archives in Ruthin jail  :)

http://www.denbighshire.gov.uk/en-gb/DNAP-6ZQKTQ

You might also want to visit the Clwyd Family History Society Centre at Cefn Mawr:

http://www.clwydfhs.org.uk/centre.html

It's a trip from Ruthin but has many records. Wrexham also has some good resources:

http://www.wrexham.gov.uk/english/heritage/archives/index.htm

Warm Regards

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline fridayjan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 February 08 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Gadget,

Thanks for your suggestions.  I'll have a look at the websites you suggest.  Looks like I've got some planning to do!!

Best wishes,

Janet
Jones (Liverpool/Ruthin)
Dean (Leeds)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 February 08 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

if you Google Bontuchel, there are quite a lot of links - it's in the Clocaenog Forest which is just to the SW of Ruthin.

Som of my ancestors lived around there - Bronbanog and Cyffylliog  :)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 February 08 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Just found it on a map for you  :)

Click Here

Gadget

Offline Peterej

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 February 08 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janet

Do you have the family in any cenuses?

I can see an Edward Jones in the 1851 born Llanfwrog aged 23 Agric Labourer with wife Anne born Caernarvon aged 24 , son John aged 2 and daughter Jane 6 mos both born in Lancaster with the family living in Ysceifiog which is in Flintshire.
Does that sound like them?
Although Llanfwrog is now very much part of Ruthin it was originally a separate parish. St Mary's church which is on the outskirts of the town has quite a large graveyard. The main church(St Peters) and graveyard in Ruthin is in the middle of the town.
There is a Wesleyan chapel in Ruthin called Bathafarn and it is on Well Street. Have a look at www.valeofclwydheritage.org.uk.english. The chapel is coincidentally described as the 'Edward Jones Memorial Chapel' and was opened in 1869. I see on 'googling' that there is/was a Methodist chapel in Bontuchel (not sure about a graveyard).
I do not remember a Florida Street in Ruthin.
Bontuchel is just over 3 miles on the Llanfwrog side of Ruthin. Rhewl is about 2 miles on the Denbigh side.
The views of Ruthin from Llanfwrog graveyard are beautiful. Both my parents are buried there. The town itself is very pleasant with all roads leading up to the square with some very interesting architecture.

Good luck with your research

Regards

Peter

Jones, Edwards, Davies, Owen, Benjamin , Hughes , Roberts,Thomas,Williams, Wynne , Griffiths, Howells, Rowlands etc etc
plus
Thomas,Trewren,Holmes,Thirlwall,Jones again & again
& more

"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline liverpool lass

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 February 08 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janet,
I am also tracking 'Jones' in this area, particularly around Clocaenog and Ruthin. If you come across Owen Arthur Jones b 1872/3 I would love to compare notes!
Lewis/Morgan - Carmarthenshire
Jones - Denbighshire
McCormack/McLoughlin - Liverpool
McKenzie - Liverpool/Lanarkshire/ Aus/USA/NZ
Ballantyne - Glasgow, Liverpool
Evans - Merionethshire
Turnell - Northamptonshire
Jones - Glamorgan
Wood - Nova Scotia, Mass, USA
Booth - Aus
Francis - Carmarthen
Griffiths - Glamorgan and Llanelli
Morgan - Llanelly, Pontardulais
Williams - Llanelly
Bryant ,Chesbro - Massachusetts, USA
Petrie - Connecticut, USA
Winters, Tetley,Oulds - Australia

Offline fridayjan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 February 08 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Peter,

Thanks for your help.  Yes, the Edward Jones you mention in 1851 is the one I'm presuming is "mine"!!  The ages fit with the family on later census' (not sure that's the correct pleural but nevermind!) and I'm presuming that Lancaster should read Liverpool, Lancashire.  I have Jane's birth certificate which confirms she was born in Liverpool and Edward married twice - with both certificates stating his father was John, a Blacksmith.  Both marriages were in Liverpool, the 1st in 1848 and 2nd in 1871.  I'm hoping I've got the correct family, especially as the information my mum recorded seems to fit.

I'll have a look at all the websites that've been suggested and then plan the big day out in Ruthin!

Thanks again,

Janet
Jones (Liverpool/Ruthin)
Dean (Leeds)

Offline fridayjan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 February 08 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Liverpool Lass,

I'll keep an eye out for Owen on my travels!

Janet
Jones (Liverpool/Ruthin)
Dean (Leeds)