Author Topic: Jones' of Bontuchel/Ruthin  (Read 25659 times)

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Jones' of Bontuchel/Ruthin
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 09 September 08 04:52 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone
These are the Mwrog Street Chapel Christenings for John Jones & Elizabeths sorted by occupation,

John Jones (smith) & Elizabeth - Bontuchel, Cyffylliog Parish
Mary    26.11.1817   10.12.1817
Robert    21.08.1821   10.09.1821
John   03.08.1823   28.08.1823
Henry   14.02.1826   28.02.1826
Edward   30.03.1828   25.04.1828
Isaac   31.03.1830   21.05.1830
William   13.03.1832   06.04.1832
David   11.05.1834   30.05.1834
Enoch   03.02.1836   25.03.1836

John Jones (lab) & Elizabeth – Porth Ogof Llanelidan Parish
Jane       17.06.1819   21.07.1829
Margarett    01.01.1822   27.01.1822
John      01.06.1824   28.06.1824* Sgubor Uchaf  Llanelidan
Enoch      01.07.1827   26.07.1827
Abel      29.08.1829   15.09.1829
Isaac      13.05.1833   21.06.1833**Groes Bach  Llanelidan
Sem      03.12.1835   05.01.1836**Groes Bach  Llanelidan
Joseph      11.03.1832   10.10.1836++Gwegil y Bryn Llanelidan
Martha      09.09.1836   10.10.1836++Gwegil y Bryn  Llanelidan

It looks as if fridayjan and moe1939 may well be related :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fridayjan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 15 October 08 22:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Hiraeth, Moe1939 and everyone else who has helped with this,

Sorry to have taken so long to reply - I've just got back from holiday, but before that I was very involved with my Dean family from the Leeds area and my Skelly's from Scotland/Liverpool.  My poor brain can't cope with more than one complicated family at a time  ;) ::).

I've just had to re-read the two pages of responses to try and get my head around all the information you've given me, and what I was after in the first place!!

As you say, the christenings for John Jones' family in Bontuchel certainly look like they fit the bill for both me and Moe1939  :D :D.

I'm trying to sort out all my "Dean" information at the moment, but will certainly come back to the Jones' ASAP.  Thanks again for your continuing help.

Best wishes,

Janet
Skelly (Liverpool/Ayrshire/St Vincent)
Jones (Liverpool/Ruthin)
Mortimer (Wigan/Harrogate)
Dean (Leeds)
Wilmshurst (Liverpool/Deal)
Sides (Oswestry/Liverpool)

Offline fridayjan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 22 October 08 20:52 BST (UK) »
Who was I kidding when I said I'd sort out my Dean's before coming back to my Jones'   ;) 

I couldn't resist and have spent time over the last few days tracing lots of new Jones and Roberts relations to add to my tree.  Again, thank you all for your help and suggestions.

After advice from Hiraeth, I sent to the Ruthin Records Office (in Wrexham) for the birth certificate of Elizabeth Jones - and what a good service - I sent the request on Monday and received the certificate today (Wednesday!!).  She must be the right one - born 2.9.1838 at Bontuchel, Llanfwrog to John Jones (Blacksmith) and Elizabeth, formerly - wait for it ......... Elizabeth Jones!!!!  ::) ::)  That helps narrow things down!! 

I wonder if anyone could have a look for a marriage between John Jones and Elizabeth Jones before 1817, when their first child was born?  In the 1851 census both John and Elizabeth list their birth place as Llanynys.

I must admit I'm a bit confused with all the place names - people seem to change between Llanynys, Llanfwrog and Gyffylliog from census to census!

Mary Jones (the eldest daughter of John and Elizabeth) marries John Roberts, a Saddler, and this would fit with the scruffy piece of paper mentioned in my first message, where my mum had written "Saddlers and Butchers Shop in Ruthin".  I've found them in a Saddlers at 29 Clywd Street, Ruthin - which according to Googlemap is now a Butchers!

Janet
Jones (Liverpool/Ruthin)
Dean (Leeds)

Offline cnerys

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 22 October 08 22:56 BST (UK) »
Janet,
I think I have looked at this John Roberts and Mary trying to find the parents of my 3x great grandfather Robert Roberts. My Robert Roberts was born 1844 Pontuchel. The only Robert Roberts that I could find from Gyffylliog was living with John Roberts 'saddler' and family, but I'm sure I have traced the son that is mentioned on the 1851 census is himself a saddler in later census. I have no idea what my Robert Roberts was in his early years, but he is classed as an Ag lab on the later census. This is my brick wall and I can't see me breaking it down at all.

Happy hunting
Kind regards
Nerys
Morris - Gwytherin/Llangernyw/Pandy Tudur
Blore - Efenechtyd/Clocaenog
Bloor - Cwm/Newmarket Wales
Price - Llangwm, Poulton cum Seacomb/Bebington
Roberts - Llanelidan - 'Pantrwth' Eyarth, Liverpool, Sheffield, Llanrwst
Roberts - Brookhouse Denbigh, Bontuchel
Williams - Abergele
Hughes - Llanfairtalhaiarn
Jones - Llangynhafal

Offline fridayjan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 23 October 08 10:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Nerys,

Have you seen the Robert Roberts in 1851, born 1843, son of Edward and Margarete?  His birth place is given as Gyffyliog.

There are also a couple of R Rs in the 1861 census born in Llanfwrog, one the son of John and Sinah (born 1845) and one the son of Gabriel and Anne (born 1844) - although I couldn't find the son of Edward and Margarete!

Janet

Jones (Liverpool/Ruthin)
Dean (Leeds)

Offline moe1939

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 27 October 08 17:07 GMT (UK) »

After advice from Hiraeth, I sent to the Ruthin Records Office (in Wrexham) for the birth certificate of Elizabeth Jones - and what a good service - I sent the request on Monday and received the certificate today (Wednesday!!).  She must be the right one - born 2.9.1838 at Bontuchel, Llanfwrog to John Jones (Blacksmith) and Elizabeth, formerly - wait for it ......... Elizabeth Jones!!!!  ::) ::)  That helps narrow things down!! 

I wonder if anyone could have a look for a marriage between John Jones and Elizabeth Jones before 1817, when their first child was born?  In the 1851 census both John and Elizabeth list their birth place as Llanynys

Janet

Hi Janet and all.

So Elisabeth 1796 married to John is also a Jones that helps.

I may have another my great grandfather William Jones 1832 (your Edward's brother) I believe his wife Ellinor 1834 was also a Jones b Bettws Merionethshire, if anyone can help me out on this it would be appreciated.

The 1841 census shows both John Jones 1791 and Elisabeth 1796 born in LLanfwrog.

My list of siblings of my William Jones  1832 married Ellinor Jones 1834.
Mary       1817
Robert    1821
John       1823
Henry     1826
Edward  1828 (your great grandfather)
Isaac      1830
David      1834
Enock      1836
Elisabeth 1838
Joseph     1842

As I said before if anyone is able to find Ellinor's maiden name it would be appreciated
and it could very well be another Jones.

Have a good day Moe.

Jones...Llannfwrog, Ruthin, Denbighshire.
Ashton, Heywood, Lancashire, Stockport Cheshire.
Heap.....Heywood, Bolton, Lancashire.
McManus Galway, Ireland.
All Census Lookups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fridayjan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 27 October 08 18:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Moe,

Do you know if your William Jones married to Ellinor was a Blacksmith?

After Hiraeth found all the children of John and Elizabeth, I looked for them on Ancestry, and found the family in 1851, where William is described as a Blacksmith (like his father).  I searched in 1861 and found a William Jones, born 1831 in Llanynys (which seems to be interchangable with Llanfwrog ???), a Blacksmith living with his wife Dinah (b1820 Clocaenog) and a couple of children.  In 1871 I can find Dinah (married, Blacksmith's wife) but with no sign of William.

I had presumed that this might be the William, son of John and Elizabeth, because of his profession as a Blacksmith, and the age is only a year out.

I'm wondering if we have two different William Jones born in the same area in 1831/32 one an Ag Lab and one a Blacksmith.

What do you think?

Best wishes,

Janet
Jones (Liverpool/Ruthin)
Dean (Leeds)

Offline moe1939

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 28 October 08 11:33 GMT (UK) »
I have William Jones 1832+/- occupations

1891 ironworks Heywood Lancs.
1881 ironworks Heywood Lancs.
1871 labourer Llanfwrog
1861 ag.labourer Llanfwrog
1851 blacksmith Llanfwrog

1851 his father John a blacksmith and farmer of 4 acres Isaac is shown as a blacksmith to.

It looks like I need a copy of his marriage certificate.

Have a good day  ... Moe

PS  I am sure about William is married to Ellinor possably married in 1855 so that would delete William /Dinah.
The change from blacksmith 1851 to Ag. labourer 1861 could be he was working his father's 4 acres?? When he moved to Heywood his occupation was a moulders labourer in the ironworks maybe a throw back to blacksmith days.
Anyway I will let you know what I find out.

PPS I have confimation on William & Elinor... Married 1855 Llanfwrog St Mwrog and St Mary Ruthin Denbighshire C36/1/80 and her maiden name was also Jones.
McManus Galway, Ireland.

Offline moe1939

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 11 November 08 18:47 GMT (UK) »
Janet,
I think I have looked at this John Roberts and Mary trying to find the parents of my 3x great grandfather Robert Roberts. My Robert Roberts was born 1844 Pontuchel. The only Robert Roberts that I could find from Gyffylliog was living with John Roberts 'saddler' and family, but I'm sure I have traced the son that is mentioned on the 1851 census is himself a saddler in later census. I have no idea what my Robert Roberts was in his early years, but he is classed as an Ag lab on the later census. This is my brick wall and I can't see me breaking it down at all.

Happy hunting
Kind regards
Nerys

This may be of some use it was included in some information I received under John Jones/Elizabeth Jones Descendants

17. Robert ROBERTS (Mary JONES-2, John-1) was born in 1843 in Gyffylliog, Denbighshire, Wales. He
appeared on the census in Mar 1851 in Ty Gwyn (Bontuchel), Gyffylliog, Denbighshire, Wales. Recorded as
scholar in Mar 1851. He appeared on the census in Apr 1861 in Pengraig, Llanynys, Denbighshire, Wales. In Apr
1861 he is described as a Saddler. He appeared on the census in Apr 1871 in 35 Clwyd Street, Ruthin,
Denbighshire, Wales. In Apr 1871 he is described as Saddler employing 1 boy. He appeared on the census in
Apr 1881 in 29 Clwyd Street, Ruthin, Denbighshire, Wales. In Apr 1881 he is described as Saddler Master,
employing 2 men. He appeared on the census in Apr 1891 in 29 Clwyd Street, Ruthin, Denbighshire, Wales. In
Apr 1891 he is described as Saddler. He appeared on the census in Mar 1901 in 29 Clwyd Street, Ruthin,
Denbighshire, Wales. In Mar 1901 he is described as Saddler.
Robert ROBERTS and Grace JONES were married September quarter 1868 in Ruthin District, Denbighshire,
Wales.9 Grace JONES (daughter of * Thomas JONES and Grace EVANS) was born in 1846 in Llanfawr,
Merioneth, Wales. She appeared on the census in Mar 1851 in Llanfawr, Llanfawr, Merioneth, Wales.
(this is the best guess for a match for Grace Jones - there are 2 that might match, both with a father Thomas).

Have a good day Moe
McManus Galway, Ireland.