Author Topic: railway accident info please  (Read 8995 times)

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
railway accident info please
« on: Sunday 03 February 08 19:30 GMT (UK) »
I suspect i have found the death of my GG grandfather Thomas Charlton whom i have been stuck on for some time. I have a death certificate that states he died on 7 Sept 1871 in a railway accident in Newcastle area. He was a goods guard on the railway and died as a result of 'injuries sustained by railway trucks'. There was a coroners inquest on the 8th Set 1871. The N Archives  are unable to supply this at present so can anyone help? there was probably a report in the local paper -Evening Chronicle? I am hoping this will confirm his wifes name - Mary Ann and children whom I have details for. he was born in 1842 in percy main and 29 when he died.
i know of a book published by newcastle library - 'Signals to danger : railway accidents at Newcastle and in Northumberland 1851 - 1992. hope to see this soon.
Thanks.
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline Mean_genie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: railway accident info please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 February 08 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Newspapers are usually a better bet than coroners' records themselves, and are usually more accessible. You can find out what newspapers exist for the time and place you are interested in from the NEWSPLAN project. There are separate reports for each region, the one for the Northern Region is a pdf file.

www.bl.uk/collections/nplan.html

If you have access to the library of a Higher or Further Education institution, or to the British Library itself, you can search the digitised images of a range of 19th Century local newspapers

www.bl.uk/collections/britishnewspapers1800to1900.html 

Mean_genie

Offline buddysmum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 February 08 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi just might have a web site that that could help was anly looking myself this afternoon its     
  www.blacksheepindex.co.uk
It lists accidents on the railway dont no if its complete try it and see
Good luck
eves/eve/ellmer/ elmer/wisdom/isted/stead/page/forster/scott/young/
holmes/chown and many many more

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 February 08 06:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Another idea is to  also write to  the Newcastle library  ( or visit the library if you are in the area) and ask them if it's possible they could find a newspaper report of the  inquest for you  - give them all the details, date of the inquest, the coroners name , your g  g grandfather's name etc .

I obtained a  photocopy of the newspaper report of the inquest for my great, great grandfather ( who committed suicide on the railway tracks ) from Bristol library by doing this. The history librarian at Bristol  found the report for me in the local paper and only charged 1.50 ( pounds) for it -  that price also  included postage to  get  out to me in Australia.

http://www.newcastle.gov.uk/tlt/localstudies.htm

Kind Regards :)
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 February 08 20:11 GMT (UK) »
thanks everyone for your suggestions.
Have already tried Blacksheep and no go. Know newspapers would be good as I used to be a librarian!! I did try through the internet but couldn't find anything. Din't know about NEWSPLAN though. suppose was hoping some good soul was in area and could help - I am 200 miles away!  however i still have relatives in the area so will have to arrange a visit.
Will go into local library when i have a day off and talk to my library friend about contacting Newcastle.
Once again - thanks. I love puzzles like this!!

Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline sueky71

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 February 08 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Diddymiller,
I've found this reference to Thomas Charlton's accident in The Scotsmans Archives. Hope it helps.
Sueky  :)
Census information, Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Kennaway, Britton, Cruickshank, Jamieson, Wood, Braidwood, Swan, Inglis (Dalkeith, Edinburgh, Greenock, Glasgow, Lanarks)
Cotton, Wood, Beckwith, Edwards, Rutland, Burgess, Davies (Liverpool, Lancashire, Cheshire, Bucks, Staffs)

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 February 08 20:46 GMT (UK) »
I think this is a different Thomas Charlton. Wrong date and different sort of accident.

Interesting, nevertheless.

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sueky71

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 February 08 20:50 GMT (UK) »
oooh so it is - how spooky  :o
Hadn't even noticed the wrong date ::)
I just keyed in Thomas Charlton, Newcastle, Rail Accident.
What a strange co-incidence

Modified - sorry can't spell
Census information, Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Kennaway, Britton, Cruickshank, Jamieson, Wood, Braidwood, Swan, Inglis (Dalkeith, Edinburgh, Greenock, Glasgow, Lanarks)
Cotton, Wood, Beckwith, Edwards, Rutland, Burgess, Davies (Liverpool, Lancashire, Cheshire, Bucks, Staffs)

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 February 08 20:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi sukey, was just replying to your first post when 2nd came in. nice try anyway - its great to know theres help out there. I've been into family history for a long time but only just gone online at home (as opposed to library) so this help is all new to me!!