Author Topic: A look up please? Gilbert Robertson  (Read 6488 times)

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
A look up please? Gilbert Robertson
« on: Sunday 03 February 08 23:56 GMT (UK) »
I'm hoping someone 'in country' might have a better success with my query.  I have searched via ScoltalandsPeople, and had a 'bit of a look' while in Scotland last Sept without success.   I have located to Frances DeBrulon Robertson's baptism - Gladsmuir 1820 on that her parents were at 'Southfield' which is app 5 mile from Gladsmuir.  Orally I have been told Gilbert Robertson and Agnes Lee married 22 Dec 1819, apparently this is recorded in his journals.
Allegedly, Gilbert Robertson was born in the West Indies (Trinidad / Guyana / Jamaica? not sure which) 10 Dec 1794 to Gilbert Robertson and mother unknown.   In c1814 Gilbert snr allegedly married an Eliza Thomas in the WI and toward the end of his life he is supposed to have returned to Edinbrough where he died c 1840.
I appreciate it is moving into an area where records have been lost but I am hopeful that someone may be able to help me find one or more records / details relating to Gilbert Robertson Snr's marriage and/or death, he was a son of the Rev Harry Robertson of Kiltern, and to his son's marriage to Agnes Lee.   Most of their children were named following what appears to be the traditional naming pattern.  One other question, does anyone have anything at all relating to de Brulon / de Bruton?
Durham - HARDY Ann, Mary, CLARKE William, Elizabeth, DABRON Robert, Thomas, Rhoda >1853
Tyrone- SEETON George, John; COULTER Mary>1919
Clonmel Tipperary - KELLY Daniel b1812 wed in Aust.1849 
Cornwell - Newton on Abbot area SYMON(D)S - George Harvie wife BALSOM(E) Mary b1795
Headford Galway - Bridget KING famine orphan and Tuam Workhouse
  Abygail

Offline kenjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: A look up please? Gilbert Robertson
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 February 08 15:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi I understand, that this isn't what you asked for, but, how you have put it all is very confusing...
so this is a start and maybe someone can keep going....

Rev Gilbert Robertson married Christian Bain.
they had these children..

Harry      2 / 11 / 1748 Kincardine.  -------rev Harry Robertson of Kiltearn.
Ann        2 / 3 / 1750.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>married George Rainy 17 / 11 / 1772 Aberdeen {see next posting}
John      24 / 11 / 1751
george  16 / 11 / 1756

Rev Harry Robertson and Ann Forbes' son
   Gilbert.....had
      Gilbert
This Gilbert is in the bottom posting....see below.
He was the son of a slave woman.
this Gilbert came out to Australia...and died in 1851 and is buried in the Geelong Eastern Cemetery...along with his wife Agnes Lees Robertson ...died 1853..
there is sadly not going to be much information from their deaths....unless there is on their headstones.. you can try for help.....http://www.zades.com.au/geelong/gdtopic.htm
Pattillo, Connon, Shand, Mackie, Hickey, Brooks, Ryan.

Offline kenjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 February 08 16:02 GMT (UK) »
This is a history of Ann Robertson and George Rainy's son.....

Offline kenjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 February 08 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Henry Robertson Sandbach. is the son of Elizabeth Robertson..who is ..the daughter of Rev Harry Robertson of Kiltearn

Offline kenjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 February 08 16:56 GMT (UK) »
ROBERTSON, GILBERT (1794-1851), editor and agriculturist, was born on 10 December 1794 at Trinidad, West Indies, the son of Gilbert Robertson, who had large possessions in Demerara, British Guiana, and died at Edinburgh on 10 March 1840.

Robertson served a four-year apprenticeship in agriculture in Scotland and took a farm, but lost it when the Corn Law caused prices to fall. He migrated to Van Diemen's Land in 1822 with his wife and child; five other children were born in the colony. He was granted 400 acres (162 ha) and rented another farm but was unable to carry out his plans with only two assigned servants. When a partnership failed, his farm was sold and he was in the debtors' prison at Hobart Town in 1824. He petitioned Lieutenant-Governor Arthur in 1825 for employment on the government farm at New Town and was its superintendent for five years. When his services were dispensed with, he was granted land, which he named Woodburn, in the Coal River district, Richmond. As Richmond's chief constable he volunteered in 1829 to lead an expedition against marauding Aboriginals. This and a later expedition were unsuccessful, although they helped Robertson to appraise the agricultural possibilities of land he traversed. He outspokenly defended the Aboriginals. In February 1832 his convict labour was withdrawn and he was dismissed from the police force for supplying his assigned servants with wine for a harvest celebration, after which a man was found dead in the neighbourhood. He protested, however, that they were innocent of the murder.

Robertson was engaged as editor and reporter of the Colonist, first issued on 6 July 1832, owned by T. G. Gregson and George Meredith and printed by Andrew Bent. This arrangement did not last, and on 5 August 1834 Robertson published the True Colonist and Van Diemen's Land Political Despatch and Agricultural and Commercial Advertiser. From 2 January 1835 this paper became Tasmania's first daily, but Robertson was soon imprisoned for libellous charges of maladministration and accounting against Lieutenant-Governor Arthur and a Hobart attorney, W. T. Rowlands. Although helped by Andrew Bent, he could not bring out the paper daily from prison; after 20 March 1835 it reverted to semi-weekly and sometimes weekly publication. His defence against the alleged libels was that they were published for the public good, in hope of an inquiry into the colony's affairs. The last issue of the True Colonist appeared on 26 December 1844 when Robertson left to become superintendent of agriculture at Norfolk Island. He resigned in 1846 after a quarrel with the commandant, soon afterwards becoming a station overseer at Colac, Victoria. He was editor of the Victoria Colonist and Western District Advertiser when he fell from his horse in a fit of apoplexy and died at Geelong on 5 September 1851.

Robertson was a fiery opponent of the Arthur regime and his greatest influence was exerted through his vigorous, although one-sided, True Colonist. Most contemporary newspapers quarrelled with him, although the Britannia admitted that he was the first to show the colonial applicability of the Act of James I securing the rights of the subject against arbitrary ejectments by the Crown. He also published many scientific articles on farming, was interested in agricultural societies, and lectured on agriculture and colonization to the Hobart Town Mechanics' Institute, of which he was a prominent member.

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 February 08 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for you valuable information, Sorry if my post was a bit muddled. I have other posts re Gilbert Robertson and I tried not to revisit too much of what I already have on the Post pages.
Now I have a death date for Gilbert snr maybe things will be a little easier. (I don't believe it with this family) 
I found 'The New Statistical Account of Scotland' by the Ministers of the Respective Parishes, under the Superintendence of a Committee of the Society for the Benefit of the Sons and Daughters of the Clergy,
published by William Blackwood and Sons  Edinbrough and London MDCXXXLV   There are several volumes to this collection, each relating to one or more Parishes.   I found them using Goggle Book search and have downloaded 2 volumes.   
Do you know much about the Sandbach Trinne Company?   Somewhere in their records are records relating to their family trees.   Unfortunately I have misplaced the info re this and need to start from scratch and try to find it again.   Hopefully it is in either the National Archives or in Scotlands archives.
Abygail
Durham - HARDY Ann, Mary, CLARKE William, Elizabeth, DABRON Robert, Thomas, Rhoda >1853
Cornwell - Newton on Abbot area SYMON(D)S - George Harvie wife BALSOM(E) Mary b1795
  Abygail

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: A look up please? Gilbert Robertson and what is the connection of de Bruton
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 August 20 09:03 BST (UK) »
Back again,  I have DNA proof for the connection of Gilbert R (1794 - 1851) to his father Gilbert R (1774 - 1839).   Have been back through a lot of trees looking but so far haven't found anything close to a concrete lead to what the connection of the name de Bruton is to Gilbert R snr.
So if anyone has de Bruton ancestors who were in the area of Trinidad or Grenada  from 1750's through to mid 1850's would you please share some information with me.   The DNA match is on 'My Heritage' .  Please PM me for extra information.
  Abygail