Author Topic: Brother's Place?  (Read 6193 times)

Offline Defor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Brother's Place?
« on: Monday 04 February 08 14:42 GMT (UK) »
I have on a marirage certificate for one of my SPIRE family the address -Brother's Place in the parish of St. Marks.  I've been trying to find out more about this address but have had no luck so far - any information wuld be appreciated.

I found the same family in Barton Street in 1851, so wondered if it was near to there.

Many thanks.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Brother's Place?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 February 08 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Defor and welcome to RootsChat and the Gloucestershire Board  :)

You haven't said which town you are talking about - let us know, then we can try to answer your query about these streets.  Sounds like Bristol to me, but then again it could be Gloucester.

Regards,

Gillg
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Defor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 February 08 17:13 GMT (UK) »
How silly of me :-[

It is Gloucester.

Thanks for your welcome.

Offline Keziahemm

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 February 08 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Defor

Welcome to RootsChat.

St. Marks is in Kingsholm area of Gloucester but don't know Brother's Place.  Gloucestershire Archives is not far from there, may be worth contacting them at
http://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=1335

We need RootsChatter Graceland who knows the area, where are you Mr. G  ???

Susan  :)
Herefordshire: Mytton.
Lincs: Ingham
Northants: Knight (Welford); Linnell;  Gaudern.
Staffs (Brierley Hill, Kingswinford): Wood; Eades.
Somerset: Bailey; Lewis
Warwickshire: (Alcester, Henley in Arden) Lewis; Casey/Keasey
Warwickshire (Birmingham suburbs) Knight
Yorkshire (Bradford):  Ingham

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 February 08 11:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Defor

I'll be passing St Mark's on my way to the Archives today.  Here's a picture of it
http://www.wishful-thinking.org.uk/genuki/GLS/Gloucester/StMark.html
Unfortunately it closed recently, though it has now been let out to a mission church.  There could be a problem however, in that this Church was built in 1845-7, and you don't say when the Spire marriage took place, just that they were found in Barton Street in 1851. Did they marry in a brand new church, I wonder, or was this church built on the site of a previous St Mark's?  I'll take a look at the parish register to find out.

St Mark's Street is some quarter of a mile away from the church, but I've never heard of Brother's Place.  The only new building (i.e. 20th century) I can think of nearby is Gloucester's only tower block with surrounding houses and flats, just behind the church, so maybe Brother's Place is beneath that**, but I'll enquire at the RO.  The name does suggest a link to one of Gloucester's five monasteries/priories. The ruined St Oswald's Priory isn't all that far away and neither is the Cathedral.

Barton Street is a mile or two away from the church. 

I'll report back later with what I find.

Gill

**Or it could be under Gloucester Rugby Club ground, of course.  That's almost opposite St Mark's. ;D

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 February 08 16:26 GMT (UK) »
 I was right first time with the tower block! :o  It's just across the road from the RO.  Brother's Place was renamed Suffolk Street, then demolished in the 1950s to make way for the flats and houses of Clapham Court.  My enquiry caused quite a stir in the RO, as one man told me that his gt-grandmother had been born in Brother's Place and another woman told me I should consult the Clapham Project website http://www.claphamkingsholm.co.uk/index.html
which is really interesting.  The archivist brought out a box of old street maps and was very gratified to find inside it a file which she had been looking for for some time!

The next street to Brother's Place/Suffolk Street was Sweetbriar Street, which didn't live up to its fragrant name at all, being one of the filthiest and most disease-ridden streets in Gloucester at one time.  In that street was a foundry, where the first British pillar boxes were manufactured.  But you can read all about it on the Clapham site.  If you consult a modern map and select Worcester Parade, Alvin Street and London Road as boundaries, you'll get the approx. site of Brother's Place.  Barton Street still exists as a main but narrow thoroughfare leading from the city's Eastgate Street, a brisk mile or more from St Mark's and the site of Brother's Place.

Gill

From St Mark's PR, the marriage between Thomas Purton and Hannah Spiers (sic) took place on 29 Sept 1850.

Offline GRACELAND

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Elvis Presley* ARTIST OF THE CENTURY..*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 February 08 18:09 GMT (UK) »
Sorry i was not about

But Agree with above and See here for Info on Clapham

http://www.claphamkingsholm.co.uk/

:D
God Knew Elvis was Tired so he called him to rest !................
"I like it well done, Cooked. I ain't orderin' a pet."
--Elvis Presley, On Meat
"Don't be like nobody else or you'll be livin' a lie, and that ain't livin'."
--Elvis Presley, On Individuality

Offline GillianF

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 August 21 15:50 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I'm researching my ancestors and have found them in the 1841 census living at 39 Brother's Place which is referred to as St. John the Baptist, Gloucester.  This post has been really helpful.

Thank you.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 31 August 21 11:57 BST (UK) »
Hi GillianF,

Glad you found the post helpful.  Since the earlier posts I have moved away from Gloucester, so can't nip into the Record Office anymore, I'm afraid. 

Good luck with your research. :)