Author Topic: thomas family  (Read 3325 times)

Offline fewings

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
thomas family
« on: Tuesday 05 February 08 00:08 GMT (UK) »
hello im searching for my mothers family in cornwall, her dad was stephen james thomas and her mum was defiance thomas maiden name orchard, defiance or fiance parents were joe orchard and peggy smith. fiance died in 1953 and is buried in bude, stephen james thomas served in the cornwall light inventory he died after fiance. my mother lily thomas lived in conce moor ,luxulyan, st austell . her husband was sidney edward fewings records show he worked as a lorry driver for bamboo cane company. they then moved to dawlish warren to be nearer his family. My mum had a large family all over cornwall names given to me are skillton , crocker,crowley,boswells,richards,penfolds they may not be related but are part of the larger travelling community surrounding my mum when she grew up.if anyone has any information id be very gratefull.  x susan x

Offline tiggi

• RootsChat Veteran
  • BETSEY SMITH/ WIFE OF NELSON BUCKLAND
    • View Profile
Re: thomas family
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 February 08 16:04 GMT (UK) »
hi Susan
Welcome
I am related to you by Peggy Smith her sister Betsey Smith married Nelson Buckland  (my Great grand parents) I know of several more cousins related to us through Smith family and are on here check out Penfold page by DEBSUSA

Let me begin with James Smith ( Father)
would love to know who mother was if you can help there
children
Defiance Smith married Robert Penfold after she died he lived with Louise Smith her sister ( we are waiting for marriage  certyificate to confirm James was father)
William Smith married Caroline Smitheram
Wisdom Smith married Esther Buckland
Selina Smith married Henry James
Betsey Smith married Nelson Buckland
Harriet  Smith married Robert Lee
Peggy Smith married Joseph Orchard ( Joe parents were Joseph Orchard & Caroline Scarrott
Britannia Smith never married

Please do keep watching this page I will let everyone know you are on here you will be amazed how many cousins are here
I know of a Betsey Crocker in Bugle and a Colin thomas in Bodmin must be yours relations I would think and does Skilton ring bells with a Peggy Thomas ?
If you want to get me privately can't put my email on here but if you click on my names tiggi you can see my private page and can email me there
wonderful to find you and welcome again to family we need everyone to help each other sort this family out
Between us on here we have lots of family info that we can share with you sandy
TENETT BUCKLAND & PLATO BUCKLAND ( MY LINEAGE)
  Buckland Smith James Stanley Lovell Loveridge Lee Cooper Penfold/Pinfold Orchard Boswell Broadway Wells

AREAS OF INTEREST CORNWALL DEVON

USA   Worton Stanley Joles Cooper  Jeffrey Small
 all English lines of Roms who are found in America

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 February 08 16:22 GMT (UK) »
woohooooo

Hi Susan ...Welcome to Rootschat ...you will have so much fun with us ! ;D :D

Blimey this family is so large .... How great to meet you ..

;D ;D

Hi Tiggi ... :-*
Travellers = Penfold, Orchard, James
Devon = Middleton,  Waterfield, Adams, Clark/e, Gould
Cornwall = Palmer, Carnarton, Slack/Smith. Morris/h
Wales, New Quay = James, Evans

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jade1992

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 23:57 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I’m currently searching the roots of my family tree also and I think I may have links within your search.

My fathers mum was ‘Fiance Thomas’ and her parents were ‘Stephen James Thomas’ and ‘Defiance Thomas’ who was an ‘Orchard’ before marriage!
They lived around the Bodmin moor area in Cornwall!

I’m very new to all this so not sure if I’m in the correct place or not, however if any of thinks links up with your information I’d love to know more!!!

Offline tiggi

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 May 19 12:45 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone on this chat x

Welcome Jade :) you are in right place, its same family we are chatting about. I have already explained my own connections, my Grt Grandmother Bessie Smith ( the photo is Bessie) was Peggy/Maggie Smith sister, they were Romani folkie and married Romani men .

I have loads of information on the bigger family, having been researching my ancestors for over 20 plus years......which also leads to USA as in family connections..
I will just say some of family linked do not like to talk about this part of family being Romani or as most country folkie call them Gypsies, especially if they married out as we call it to a non romani.
 I am proud of my heritage and happy to help if someone genuinely wants to know about their ancestry.
Although I feel its a  personal journey we decide to take and the enjoyment is finding out ourselves,its also great to find living family,just beware not all though will share your need or want to know for what ever reasons and respect this and don't judge them.
We are all parts of a jigsaw puzzle coming together piece by piece to make the puzzle complete.

Here are a few tips I learnt along the way>
Get where you can certificates Birth Marriage  Deaths- They hold important info for many different reasons, but will give you facts to help you.

Don't copy and accept cos someone has a family tree its factually correct> always do your own research and compare or you can find yourself following wrong families.

When you find anyone who is connected be polite and respectful, not all will share your excitement at finding them and many don't even know they have connections to Romani and because of the way sadly history past and present makes out they are bad people will deny connections. Or you might be unlucky and meet certain ones who boast they are experts on everything and everyone romani and of course they are 100% rom with not a family tree ,but a forest !
 Possibly that is worse can happen and those people are not interested in family history only pumping people to get info and to make out they are something they are not, just be aware they are out there.

Photos -Be careful who you share with if you don't want to see them spread over internet. We all love to see especially our passed ancestors, there is nothing I feel compares with seeing relatives maybe you never knew existed and excitement of wow the likenesses. Some people again don't respect they are personal to you ad yours.

Lastly I highly recommend taking a DNA test . Its a whole new way of confirming many things and finding new relations and understanding your family origins way back in past.

Not to sound all negative :) There is positive side - the excitement and thrills of finding out about your ancestors. Meeting living cousins sharing your families history ( which I am really excited to say that in next few weeks I am meeting a cousin face to face from USA coming over for family reunion ! )

Hi Debs sorry not answered before had not seen replies to posts  :) xx

Regards the Thomas family yes Stephen James Thomas did wed Defiance Orchard. Stephen was b 1892 Sithney Cornwall and wed in 1915 Helston. He came from Cornish folkie as in he was not romani he married into a Romani family, so for all those descended from this couple the Romani blood comes from Defiance side.

Jade > You don't mention the name of your father ? I am assuming he was  by surname Thomas & son of Stephen J Thomas and Defiance Orchard.
There was a daughter Fiance Thomas,but she died, born 1916-1918.
Stephen and Defiance had several children . 5 daughters and 3 sons.

Buckland Smith James Stanley Lovell Loveridge Lee Cooper Penfold/Pinfold Orchard Boswell Broadway Wells

Offline Jade1992

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 May 19 23:26 BST (UK) »
Hi!!
Thank you so much for all your information and advice, I’ll take it all onboard!

With regards to my father it was his mother who was Fiance Thomas (daughter of Steven and defiance), however she didn’t die till around 2006/2007?  She actually got married to my grandfather who was in the army at the time they’d met and not from the traveller community.. she moved with him from Cornwall to London. They ended up having 3 sons and 3 daughters who all still live around London.

It was my Nans mother and father who would have been defiance Thomas and Steven Thomas but I really don’t know anything about them.

Offline tiggi

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 May 19 02:25 BST (UK) »
hi Jade
Yes your grandmother ( your fathers mother) was Fiance V Thomas born in st Austell she was baby of family. Stephen and Fiance did have a daughter first born they called fiance too as I said sadly she died as baby. I do have your Grandfather in my tree :)

Here are children for you >
Fiance  died  as baby
Robert married Cissie Crocker  traveler  family
William married Defiance Crocker traveler family
Peggy married Fredrick C A Skilton
Lily married Sydney E Fewings
Fiance V was your Nan baby of family

Parents of children and your Grt grandparents
Fiance Orchard was daughter of Joseph Orchard and Peggy Smith both from Romany families and related to me.
Stephen J Thomas parents were William Thomas and Malalah P Wills they married in 1876 Penzance neither families were Romany but were born in Cornwall .

I hope this will help you on your journey with a family tree x

Offline achooo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 22:42 BST (UK) »
sorry put that wrong  my granny was sister to fiance