Author Topic: Shropshire Birth - Wellington  (Read 1429 times)

Offline Lucia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Shropshire Birth - Wellington
« on: Friday 07 January 05 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I'm looking for the birth of Samuel Reeve(s). The census says c1811 in Wellington, Salop. I've looked everywhere I can think of but can't find anything. Can anyone help?
Thank you so much,
Lucia
 :)

Offline Paul J Ballard

• RootsChat Member
  • www.paul-ballard.com for UK Ballard Genealogy
    • View Profile
Re: Shropshire Birth - Wellington
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 January 05 01:32 GMT (UK) »
Lucia,

Have you found Samuel's marriage to Mary? The certificate would give you his father's name and help ensure that when you find the baptism entry you have the right one.

I notice that there is a 12 year age gap between Samuel and Mary and he might have been married before. There is an entry in the IGI for Samuel Reeves marrying Elizabeth Ratcliffe on 25 December 1852 in Fulford, Stafford (the Marriage Index information is December Quarter 1852 Stone Registration District Volume 6b page 60). It may well be her death registered in the December Quarter of 1859 in Stone Registration District  Volume 6b page 17. That being the case then Samuel may have married Mary between 1859 and 1871.

Not sure if you also have the 1881 Census information but that would indicate that Samuel was born in 1816 :-

Samuel REEVES; Head; M; Male; 65; Wellington, Shropshire, England; Farm Labourer     
Mary REEVES; Wife; M; Female; 55; Swinnerton, Stafford, England       
Sarah HOCKNELL; Visitor; U; Female; 22; Swinnerton, Stafford, England; Domestic Serv     

Beech, Stone, Stafford, England
Public Records Office Reference   RG11 Piece / Folio   2692 / 143 Page 6

This would indicate that Samuel's death might be the one registered in Stone Registration District aged 65 in March Quarter 1886 aged 65 Volume 6b page 23 although the age doesn't exactly tally.

Hope this gives you something more to go on.

Paul

Ballard in UK all locations and dates.
Other lines of interest - Wills, Bishop, Samuels, Dunnell, Easey, Wes(t)comb(e), Richarson, Jarvis, Mathews, Stoneham, Jarvis, Ingram, Edwards, Catt, Moore, Lintott, Tee, Lee, Phillips, Davies, Drew, and a few more!

Offline Lucia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Shropshire Birth - Wellington
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 January 05 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for your help!! I have seen the 1881 census entry but never noticed the age difference. I haven't been able to find Samuel and Mary's marriage so I will have a look in the time period you suggested. I will see what I can find on your advice.  Perhaps Mary's maiden name was Hocknell and Sarah was a niece? I will see what I can find out.
Thank you so much for your help,
Lucia
 :)