Author Topic: Beryll M Pockett  (Read 10118 times)

Offline Alcluith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Beryll M Pockett
« on: Tuesday 05 February 08 14:00 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information on Beryll M Pockett daughter of Mr & Mrs Maunsell Pockett born circa 1916. She was an officer in the WAAF durning WWII and may have married a Mr Green in 1942 at Ploughley. After the war she may have moved to Oxford.
I am interested in contacting any of her family

rgds

Drew Davidson
Davidson; Jolly; McLeod; McNeil; Wishart; James; Sinclair             - Scotland
Usher; James; Wood; Quin; Mullen       -  England
Mullen; Burns; Roe; Quin; May; Moore  -  Ireland

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Beryll M Pockett
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 February 08 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Rootschat is not particularly designed for finding living relations - though sometimes that is a bonus that does happen. Genes Reunited, Friends reunited and the like are more appropiate.
We are more into searching and discovering info about rellies, usually in the past, ourselves, and helping each other do just that.

You may be able to find out more about Beryll's descendants from records.

There is a marriage in Ap/May/Jun 1942 for a Beryll M M Pocket to a Gordon D Green in Ploughley, ref 3a 4579.

you maybe able to look through subsequent birth indexes for Greens with maiden name Pocket, but sadly Green is rather a popular name which will make it time consuming - but perfectly possible.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Alcluith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 February 08 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your reply, it was a long shot and it has paid off slightly, I was not sure of her husband's name but Gordon D Green will help

regards

Drew Davidson
Davidson; Jolly; McLeod; McNeil; Wishart; James; Sinclair             - Scotland

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 February 08 13:55 GMT (UK) »
I looked through 1943 births, and yes, I was right there arepages of Greens!!!

Found the following which may or may not be a child of this marriage, though look likely with the unusual name of Pockett:

Oct/Nov/Dec 1943

Penelope A M Green

mother's maiden name Pockett

Aldershot reg distr ref 2c 382

Do you know when Beryll or husband died? Is so, if the left WIlls that is a good way to find out about descendents.
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 February 08 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, about typing - that is WILLS, not Wiiis (as in popular game!!!!)
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline Alcluith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 February 08 08:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Liz

Thank you for this information,

Not sure if her husband is dead but beleive  Beryll died only in the last 7 -8 years.

I do not usually search for living  people but my reason for this line of research
is that Beryll was engaged to my second cousin who was a fighter pilot killed in December 1940.
His family was from Malaya so I do not think they would have attended his funeral, in fact they only received his medals lat year.
Because of this and the fact he although Cecil Reginald Young he was known as Charlie, his mother being Scottish. So he is buried as P/O Charlie Young.

I have been researching him and have found out a lot about him. He had a mascot dog , car, motorbike etc and I assume that Beryll may have got them as well as his personal belonging. Part of his personal belongings may have been his logbook and other items about his time in the Battle of Britain and it is these that I am interested in.
There is no  record of his action on the day of his death, but from his school magazine  we are told he chased  german fighters out to sea.  We know from records that several german fighters were shot down by persons that day at the right time, by unknown squadron,  it was a pilot from the same German squadron that claimed Charlie.
It has been a very interesting two years research and to find if Beryll may have had some more information would be great, but of course she may never have had it or indeed kept it after she married.

Rgds

Drew Davidson

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 February 08 08:28 GMT (UK) »
Beryll M M Pockett's birth was registered in the Dec 1/4 of 1915 mmn Ball.

Her death appears to be in Dec 2005 name is Beryl Margery M Green
DOB 11 Sep 1915 died age 90  in Oxfordshire 
Register number: N03D 
Entry Number: 42

If you got the cert it may lead on to obtaining other family members names or addresses.

Regards

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Alcluith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 February 08 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to everyone for their replies, They have been very helpful.

I will keep you up to date on my findings

rgds

Drew Davidson 

Offline Alcluith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 08 January 09 08:37 GMT (UK) »
As promised an update
With the help from  Liz and Carol.
I have been able to pinpoint Beryl Pockett as  Beryl Green.
I have been in touch with her daughter Penny and we have been able to confirm that this is the right person.

Beryl was an international golfer before the war and was one of the first women to join the WAAF. She was the senior WAAF  at Tangmere where she met and was engaged to my second cousin P/O Charlie Young.  She moved to RAF Benson where she met and married Gordon Green a spitfire pilot.

Penny knew nothing of my second cousin only his dog Henry which she had many photos of. I suppose it must have been hard for her mother. 
I know that Charlie intended to try to get posted back to Malaya in 1941 therefore I can only assume that they intended to get married early 1941.
I do know that  Beryl had contacted Charlie's younger brother Robert to see if there was any news on his parents who were caught up in the fall of Singapore.

thanks again to everyone for their invaluable help

Drew Davidson